PLL



Moderator: LaoWiz

Re: PLL

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Bellyheart wrote:Template has been the main fear. Just butchered a pcb mounted board build thinking id boss it and eye it. Please send that template whenever you can. What case did you use?

I see the second version needs some off board wiring. Did you do more than that?


Pm me your email and ill send the template. I just drilled into a backplate of a 1590 d just to test the template. I would use a 1590 that is the one that is two inches tall to make it easier to fit the jacks in. Think it's tight.

I haven't fucked with the toecutter board v2 since I finished it. But when I get it, I will solder a wire lead to pin 14 of the 4046 that goes to a new toggle that switches a couple of caps to ground. Maybe center off for stock a two positions for .047, .1 or 1uf. Seems to eliminate some of the uncontrollable glitch. I would also run wires from the cap between pins 6 and 7 of the 4046 to a switch that would select stock .022 and .047 or .068. Mostly the first mod, just seems to help with the tracking if so desired.

I just was running this thing into a Megalith. Super super sick :!!!:
LaoWiz

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: PLL

Postby Bellyheart » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Mmmmm sexy.
Bellyheart

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: PLL

Postby Hyphen Nation » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 pm

yes
Hyphen Nation

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

Re: PLL

Postby intothegroove » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:10 am

LaoWiz wrote:
Tristan wrote:You might be the only one who can save the PLL for me after being so disappointed with the Dimehead, do yar thang mang! :)


Whenever I finish it, I could do a tourbox. I think some people would love it and some would hate it. There's like a million sounds now. Seems like something you could fiddle with endlessly...


Count me in on the tour! :joy: :yay:
intothegroove

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: The Junction

Re: PLL

Postby Tristan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:42 am

LaoWiz wrote:Tristan- I figured you guys were pretty close. I can't remember why you didn't like the Dimehead one. I wish there were other videos of it in addition to kayzer's. I was just playing it and am getting a lot those same spaceship sounds which are kinda cool. There's a couple of controls and caps that I keep switching out. Definitely a rabbit hole.

Belly, let me know when you build yours. I made a ghetto drill template and I can tell you a couple of places to add sockets/wires for switches. I built one of toecutters boards but haven't done the tweaks to it yet. With a couple of add ons you'll be able to get some variety and get rid of some glitch if wanted/needed....


The harmony part didn't really work that well for me, most of what I could get out was a very glitchy octave up sweep or something and an octave down that lacked power, volume, oomph, brutality and synthyness (some other pedals I know / have completely smoke it in this regard).
Oh yeah, and the fuzz was kinda weak too, no way near as heavy as the KO Amps / Industrialectric Square Wave Generator that I had before.
It might be cool if you could include a (foot)switch that completely switches the multiplier out, I have a feeling the suboctave will be able to sound much heavier then.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Harlem, The Netherlands

Re: PLL

Postby doommeow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:44 am

intothegroove wrote:
Count me in on the tour! :joy: :yay:

:love: :yay:
doommeow

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: PLL

Postby LaoWiz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Tristan wrote:
LaoWiz wrote:Tristan- I figured you guys were pretty close. I can't remember why you didn't like the Dimehead one. I wish there were other videos of it in addition to kayzer's. I was just playing it and am getting a lot those same spaceship sounds which are kinda cool. There's a couple of controls and caps that I keep switching out. Definitely a rabbit hole.

Belly, let me know when you build yours. I made a ghetto drill template and I can tell you a couple of places to add sockets/wires for switches. I built one of toecutters boards but haven't done the tweaks to it yet. With a couple of add ons you'll be able to get some variety and get rid of some glitch if wanted/needed....


The harmony part didn't really work that well for me, most of what I could get out was a very glitchy octave up sweep or something and an octave down that lacked power, volume, oomph, brutality and synthyness (some other pedals I know / have completely smoke it in this regard).
Oh yeah, and the fuzz was kinda weak too, no way near as heavy as the KO Amps / Industrialectric Square Wave Generator that I had before.
It might be cool if you could include a (foot)switch that completely switches the multiplier out, I have a feeling the suboctave will be able to sound much heavier then.


Yea, its kinda a simple circuit for what it's trying to do. The controls for the response, loop speed, and lag time which control the PLL chip's behaviour aren't perfect. Right now I have everything stock with just a few minor mods.

Part of the problem with the fuzz being weak is that it is used to provide a square wave signal to the PLL chip and the multiply and divide chips. Without a clean squarewave the tracking gets worse to bad. Running it into a megalith last night sounds so good some fuzz at the back end of the circuit could be great but more controls.

The divider output is much lower so that control is usually cranked and then I mix in the fuzz and multiplier signals for a nice mix and then adjust the overall level with the master.

Sounds like you were getting glitch city with not so great tracking. I still want to try a different fuzz that feeds the rest of the circuit at the front end and maybe borrow some ideas from the rocktave divider which tracks great and doesn't have the note sputtering at the tail end of the signal decay. An endless journey....
LaoWiz

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: PLL

Postby Tristan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:22 am

Yeah, the tracking was really shit, I could only make it work just about halfway when playing very softly towards the neck with my thumb but yeah some people seem to make it work so I dunno.
It was the lack of heavyness that ultimately made me really decide to send it back, I just didn't think it was worth it for the sounds that came out of it on the rare occasion I really did make it work.
I'm very curious what you'll end up doing with it man, sounds like you've got quite some ideas and tricks up your sleeve, it'll be cool to see what it'll eventually become. :)
Very very prematurely excited for that tourbox, your stuff and intothegrooves stuff appeals a great deal to me so it's really cool you guys are doing / thinking about doing a EU tourbox! :) :hug:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Harlem, The Netherlands

Re: PLL

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:37 pm

I am psyched for this one! Hope all goes well with it.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: Taint Louis

Re: PLL

Postby LaoWiz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Tristan wrote:Yeah, the tracking was really shit, I could only make it work just about halfway when playing very softly towards the neck with my thumb but yeah some people seem to make it work so I dunno.
It was the lack of heavyness that ultimately made me really decide to send it back, I just didn't think it was worth it for the sounds that came out of it on the rare occasion I really did make it work.
I'm very curious what you'll end up doing with it man, sounds like you've got quite some ideas and tricks up your sleeve, it'll be cool to see what it'll eventually become. :)
Very very prematurely excited for that tourbox, your stuff and intothegrooves stuff appeals a great deal to me so it's really cool you guys are doing / thinking about doing a EU tourbox! :) :hug:


I found another Dimebox video on YouTube that's pretty long but sounds horrible. Super glitch city. I like the kayzer ones, though. Holy Schnikes lent me his Second Voice Deluxe awhile back. It tracked really well but sounded pretty flat overall. The snazzy one seems to sound pretty good. All these circuits kinda have the same skeleton. I kinda want to make the monster version of the PLL with mods and then get feedback from you guys on what is good and what is shit. A monster version would be so may parts and take a long time to build and just not cost effective for anyone...
LaoWiz

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: PLL

Postby Bellyheart » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 pm

But for art and sound
Bellyheart

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: PLL

Postby LaoWiz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Bellyheart wrote:But for art and sound


Ha! I like that. I'll hack in my own thing it'll be great or not. Someone with the engineering chops and a sense for fucked up beautiful sounds sound make the definitive phase locked loop pedal. SS/BS and Fairfield takes on this circuit would be epic.
LaoWiz

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: PLL

Postby Bellyheart » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm

There was talks of it a bit ago from Brian. I have a feeling/desire those guys may collaborate
Bellyheart

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: PLL

Postby Hyphen Nation » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:31 am

LaoWiz wrote: A monster version would be so may parts and take a long time to build and just not cost effective for anyone...


Maybe this is where you leverage the power of social media…I'd populate the shit out of a board for you for no cost. Do a run of like 10 or 20 something, and have all of us on here who are interested, and handy with a soldering iron help you build it. :)

-D
Hyphen Nation

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

Re: PLL

Postby Bellyheart » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:54 am

I'd definitely pump some boards out.
Bellyheart

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Richmond, Va

PreviousNext

Return to The Out Sound



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.