INFANEM the driving notion clone



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 am

it is doable but it would be easier if I could destroy it during the tracing process and then rehouse and rebuild after the tracing is completed. I want to either desolder or cut off the potentiometers. then when finished I would put new pots, new box, new jacks.

there is a germanium diode in this pedal that would be almost impossible to get an exact match. there could be something about that diode that makes it hard to get the sound exactly the same with a clone. any random germanium diode will get you close. will it sound the same? maybe. you would need to test them both back to back and use your ears to decide if the clone is a success. you will be %99 of the way there even if it fails to be that exact sound. the other tech you showed it to gets scared too easy. this looks to be a 2 layer board. you can see right through the conformal coating. even without brute force data collection, you can trace it by looking at it. this is not an impossible trace job simply because the components are surface mounted.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:it is doable but it would be easier if I could destroy it during the tracing process and then rehouse and rebuild after the tracing is completed. I want to either desolder or cut off the potentiometers. then when finished I would put new pots, new box, new jacks.

there is a germanium diode in this pedal that would be almost impossible to get an exact match. there could be something about that diode that makes it hard to get the sound exactly the same with a clone. any random germanium diode will get you close. will it sound the same? maybe. you would need to test them both back to back and use your ears to decide if the clone is a success. you will be %99 of the way there even if it fails to be that exact sound. the other tech you showed it to gets scared too easy. this looks to be a 2 layer board. you can see right through the conformal coating. even without brute force data collection, you can trace it by looking at it. this is not an impossible trace job simply because the components are surface mounted.


i would be willing to ship it to you to to destroy so long as
1.) you can rehouse and rebuild it in a new enclosure for me after completed
2.) you can also provide me with a clone of the finished trace completed in an enclosure as well
3.) you agree to freely share the finished schematic with everyone on ilf online so that they can also enjoy it and further improve/alter it to their liking too

if you are okay with all of the above conditions, then let me know in a PM and i will be happy to throw my driving notion you way if you desire for the sake of everyone else on the forum as well that has expressed interest in it :joy:
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship

$harkToootth wrote:Long live the floor!

Invisible Man wrote:COGITO ERGO NON EST

Invisible Man wrote:maybe home isn’t where you’re comfortable, but where you can be useful.
ibarakishi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:31 am
Location: Thailand

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:10 pm

edit double post
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm

PM'd
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:19 pm

#heroes
oldangelmidnight

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:30 pm

All kinds of fuck yes.
futuresailors wrote: DEM SWEEPS.

spacelordmother wrote:MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THE WORD "TACOS" IN THE SUBJECT LINE SO I KNOW YOU'RE A REAL PERSON.
DannDubbleEwe

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: TN

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:42 am

DannDubbleEwe wrote:All kinds of fuck yes.


Seconded.

I wanna hear a driving notion and Surveyor/IVP together.

#clanggang
neonblack

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 8076
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

neonblack wrote:I wanna hear a driving notion and Surveyor/IVP together.

#clanggang

YES!
oldangelmidnight

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby ibarakishi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am

confirmed and the pedal will begin migrating back to the USA within the week if all goes well. will keep people updated as things progress. sacrifices will be made. the clang gang rises again

Image
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship

$harkToootth wrote:Long live the floor!

Invisible Man wrote:COGITO ERGO NON EST

Invisible Man wrote:maybe home isn’t where you’re comfortable, but where you can be useful.
ibarakishi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:31 am
Location: Thailand

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby goroth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 pm

goroth wrote:I still want one, even though I didn't think it was all that great when I borrowed one.

Now I want one more because I've bought the enthusiasm in this thread. :picard:
$harkToootth wrote:Are you the walking pepto bismol?

New killer album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 11877
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 am

I approve of this development.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://facebook.com/mediocrisyband/
https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

goroth wrote:
goroth wrote:I still want one, even though I didn't think it was all that great when I borrowed one.

Now I want one more because I've bought the enthusiasm in this thread. :picard:

U been #hyped

#TomHanksAndMegRyanInUGotHyped #NickolodeanHypeTimeLive #DickClark'sRockingNewYearsHype #SarahJessicaHyperInHypeAndTheCIty #TheHypeIsBackInTown #BigCityHypers #RequimForAHype #DavidLynch'sHyperhead #SilenceOfTheHype #HoldenHypefield #WillyWankoffAndTheHypeFactory #MegRyanAndTomHanksInHypelessInSeattle
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 5620
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Eugene, OR In "The Late" 90s

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

another interesting development is that he is getting a rehouse job with good open frame jacks. this will be the only rehoused official INFANEM driving notion with good jacks that exists in the world. there will be an open source schematic. we all agree that this is very important. there will likely be all kinds of people building clones after the schematic gets posted. but ibarakishi will have something special in his collection. the rehouse was my idea because there is no easy way to trace the circuit without cutting away the PCB mounted pots. so we put new pots. no problem.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby neonblack » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Ahhh but I had a rehoused one once. In a 125b so it was a little easier to kick on. Also with good jacks.

But it's gone now. Fuzz in the wind.
neonblack

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 8076
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby Olin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:another interesting development is that he is getting a rehouse job with good open frame jacks. this will be the only rehoused official INFANEM driving notion with good jacks that exists in the world. there will be an open source schematic. we all agree that this is very important. there will likely be all kinds of people building clones after the schematic gets posted. but ibarakishi will have something special in his collection. the rehouse was my idea because there is no easy way to trace the circuit without cutting away the PCB mounted pots. so we put new pots. no problem.


If you make PCB's will it be you selling them yourself? This is all a cool development and you and Ibarakishi are top lads for doing it.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?


1 bird per post please.
Olin

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm
Location: Below/Between

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.