The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby KingNed » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

Sorry yeah should have clarified, I get my distortion from pedals so it would be something that runs clean. Obviously the Orange imparts its sound upon whatever I run into it, and it runs through a 1x15 so does all the beefiness in my sound, so I need another pedal platform amp to complement it.
Staff Party - Noise Rock Power Trio https://thisisstaffparty.bandcamp.com/
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 am

Since you're in the UK, you could try to find something like an HH. That'll do loud and clean and they're cheap as chips.

If you can get down with the EQ, there's also the microheads (Quilter et al)
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:37 pm

KingNed wrote:Sorry yeah should have clarified, I get my distortion from pedals so it would be something that runs clean. Obviously the Orange imparts its sound upon whatever I run into it, and it runs through a 1x15 so does all the beefiness in my sound, so I need another pedal platform amp to complement it.

I don't know HH but I trust D.o.s. opinion.
If you plan to use some pedals and then send the same signal into two amps, you have to be sure not only that both the amps "take" the pedals well, but most importantly that they react in a similar way, otherwise you could have dramatic different sounds from the two amps (which could be a pro or a con depending on your needs).
I.e. If the Orange you're using is a valve amp with the typical orange character, pairing it with a solid state head could result in a dramatically different response when using boost/gain related pedals.
For instance my board works well with both the 50W Hiwatt(valve) and the Boss Katana (digital), but i have to change the settings of some dirt pedals depending on what amp i'm using, i couldn't use them at once with the same settings.

I am a bit out of touch with current "widely available" amp prices, but my first suggestion is always the Hiwatt Custom 50 because I love it :lol: jokes aside I have used it in tandem with a friend's orange or120 ages ago and they paired very good. Another chance could be a Vox AC30.. Or maybe a Mesa if it's your cup of tea.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby KingNed » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:47 pm

Good suggestions/advice so far, thanks guys.

I have an HH Power amp which is ridiculously loud and have been told by a few people to look into the actual amps. I may just get one for the lols as they come up very cheap here. Really interested in Quilters, too. I had one of the pedalboard sized amps come into the shop I work at a little while back, and I can't say I was particularly impressed, but I'm sure the actual amps are very different. The suggestion of an AC30 got me looking into that too... But then maybe I'll save up for a Bad Cat lol. How I would love a Hiwatt, too. There's so many choices!
Staff Party - Noise Rock Power Trio https://thisisstaffparty.bandcamp.com/
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:26 am

Yeah especially for the price I am happy with my HH. As Dowi mentioned though it does react VERY differently to my tube amps, it's a very clean solid state vibe. Sounds great but if you're running the exact same signal into both at once... IDK might be a cool sound! But might be a challenge to find pedals/settings that work well for the orange and that at the same time.

I have a quilter which is great, though the EQ is funky (now they sell them all with a normal tmb EQ I think, mine has got the weird one). Reacts much more like a tube amp than the HH - though still different, stays nice and clean and gets loud. Never tried any of the other quilters to evaluate whether you just didn't like Quilters in general, or the particular one you tried is worse :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:32 am

I don't know why but pedge time is also the time where my GAS awakens, so I was wondering - don't worry satan, it is just for the sake of knowledge, not planning to buy anything until xmas - what valid options are currently available for a delay with top mounted jacks, mid/small sized enclosure (1590BB preferred), tap tempo, trails and delay time that goes at least to 1000ms? Extra aesthetichs points if the enclosure is black.

General clean delay purpose, no interest in reverse, shimmer, swell... just a simple and functional delay.

Caroline Megabyte seems cool.
SA Nemesis was on everyone's board a few years back.
Walrus ARP-87 probably could fit too but their stuff never clicked my GAS (except the Polychrome), plus it's kinda small and I can already see myself going nuts trying to tap the tempo on it.
other notables?
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 am

Meris Polymoon!
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:46 am

Eventide Rose and some black paint?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Hmmmm - your query spurred me to peruse a merchant's wares to chack what's out there. I haven't been in the delay market for a while because i'm an evil hoarder and i've reached satiation, but if i were looking around right now, beyond the usuals and at least trying to hove to your goals, I'd be looking at the Duncan Vapor Trail Deluxe, Emma Navigator, Cusack Tap-a-Delay, Supa Puss, and Carbon Copy Deluxe, and also probs for shits and giggles because i'm seeing a few cheap ones floating around, a coupla mega-delays like the Echolution 3 and Grand Canyon. I'd probably have disqualified the Walrus jawn and Keeley Eccos because of tap tempo entanglements stemming from a too-short distance between stompers and the Belle Epoch Deluxe just because i always use my preemptive strikes.

But i think you might have been right the first time with the Caroline :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:11 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:Meris Polymoon!

The amount of secondary functions scares the hell out of me..i said SIMPLE! :lol:

Gone Fission wrote:Eventide Rose and some black paint?

Blackened Rose? what do i have to play then, late 00's metalcore? brrrrr.. :facepalm:

Dandolin wrote:...

Didn't know about that Vapor Trail Deluxe, seems solid.
Did some more research last night and Megabyte seems the best option so far. Too bad that the black ones are a limited edition iirc.
Guess i'm just gonna wait 2022 and grab the new Raster 2 anyway as it is already in my plans. But again, white! :trippy: :lol:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Yadig » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Still trying to find a interesting gain pedal for sounds in-between my mae maybe and ssbs fuck of. Happy with my other stuff but dirt pedals are the hardest thing to be content with for me.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 pm

Check some demos for the Dropping Acid #rip. It has some versatility to it, so I bet it can hit the range you’re looking for. And it’s awesome.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Yadig » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:02 am

Gone Fission wrote:Check some demos for the Dropping Acid #rip. It has some versatility to it, so I bet it can hit the range you’re looking for. And it’s awesome.

I wish it had the gain knob. I see what it's doing, it just isn't as easy to adjust the gain which is crucial to me. I sort of the get same blown out sound with the maybe. Adding in the octaves is nice too.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby goroth » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Yadig wrote:Still trying to find a interesting gain pedal for sounds in-between my mae maybe and ssbs fuck of. Happy with my other stuff but dirt pedals are the hardest thing to be content with for me.

There's a Haxan in the BST
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:55 am

kinda kurious how this thing'd sound:

https://reverb.com/item/37318700-fenn-p ... s-with-hsc

:idk:

also, whatcha got in the safe?

:snax:
Last edited by Dandolin on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear