125b top mount jacks - recommendations?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

125b top mount jacks - recommendations?

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 am

I'm looking for a pair of gain pedals (od/dist/fuzz) that have some versatility, in 125b top jack configuration. Preferably one of them that can get spatty/velcro-y when desired.

I was thinking about one of them as a Clusterfuzz Jr.

Versatile would be awesome: From a slight warming to blown out character. Be able to riff, "shoegaze", add some warmth to a synth pedal sound or transform it into something else.

The EAE Dagger caught my eye but it does not appear to be as versatile as the Clusterfuzz Jr appears to be.

(As a reference but not confined to: Grew up listening to tons of Neurosis, Quicksand, Steel Pole Bathtub, Godflesh, Jesu, Electric Wizard, MBV, etc. But not a metal person. :hug: Some gain pedals I've had and loved were: Zvex Fuzz Probe, Frantone The Sweet, Subdecay Flying Tomato, Basic Fuzz Mutant, Gamechanger Plasma, Boss FZ-2, off the top of my head. Plenty others. And also plenty others that weren't for me, like The Elements).

Very open to trying and listening to new things, any recommendations are appreciated!

TLDR :lol:

Looking for top mount 125b gain pedals that are versatile. :yay:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: 125b top mount jacks - recommendations?

Postby John Matrix » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm

I have a smallsound bigsound mini that has top mounted jacks and it is tight. It's an od but it def can get super splattery and velcro. Very versatile imo. Can sound huge and heavy or small and fragile.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm

You know, that's a good idea. I had a blue mini for awhile and like the Pharaoh (mentioned in another thread), I recall maxing it out and wishing it would go further but for this purpose, that might be a great pedal. Thank you for reminding me of that one.

EDIT: Oh good night wtf, what is up with the used prices on Minis? I just sold mine like a year ago for like half what people are asking for. Was I an idiot? Probably. Am I still one? Probably :lol:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:27 pm

This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby lost in music » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:31 pm

^Yes, I realize that grain prices for that farmer sucked somewhat opposite to the way the Mini prices suck for us as consumers.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Mini is the answer, but unfortunately it’s OOP for the time being, which is why the prices have skyrocketed (they usually sell for around $225, which isn’t TOO awful, but many still sell for much more). The Fuck is still available directly from Brian for $200, but it’s bigger and does slightly different things that the Mini does not (still a viable top jack option, however).

Malaise Forever Clubber Lang? Idiotbox Power Drive? Either can get sputtery or go hard fuzz all day (and are the right size).
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 pm

Always wanted to try a Fuck but I'm trying to maximize space for something else. I might hold out for a Mini and pair it with the ClusterFuzz Jr. I'm also curious about the Dagger, the collector/emitter demo piqued my interest.

Not sure I'm after a Percolator. Have had a few and like them but they never stay on my board, though really want to try a Pigpile, wouldn't fit in this space though. Do you know where the power jack is on the Power Drive? I got curious about the Repo Man and Idiotbox said it was on the right side.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 pm

The Dagger is versatile insofar as being able to sound really good anywhere from light OD to heavy distortion, stacks great with other dirt, works well with all sorts of instruments and pickups etc.
It's not really a shoegaze machine on its own but paired with a nice weird fuzz I think it'd do well.
I didn't keep it because it was too similar to my RAT, but it's the first thing I would recommend to anyone looking for an 'all-rounder' distortion box.

IMO the Surveyor is the most versatile EAE offering.

Blammo does a lot of 125b top mount fuzzes, too. The Tomb Sender seems neat.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:15 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:I didn't keep it because it was too similar to my RAT

IMO the Surveyor is the most versatile EAE offering.

Well, that might have just sold me. The Rat clone I have I really like, just can't fit it on my board.

I have a Dude Incredible plus a few other IVP clones, not sure if that is what I'm going for in this spot. I tend to use them more as tone shapers but they do get a really nice kind of blown out sound when the treble is about midway or less and the bass and gain are turned up. It's a thought.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:15 am

For what you describe, soundwise, I can suggest the BSRI Audio TFZ.
It has top jacks, but it's a bigger 125BB housing.

Otherwise Earthquaker devices have many fuzz in that 125b+top jacks format.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:24 am

surprised to see that no one mentioned the Dr.Scientist Frazz Dazzler V2. The 3-band eq united with the starve control seem to make it super versatile for a number of uses, it has been on my radar for ages.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:43 pm

gila_crisis wrote:For what you describe, soundwise, I can suggest the BSRI Audio TFZ.
It has top jacks, but it's a bigger 125BB housing.

Otherwise Earthquaker devices have many fuzz in that 125b+top jacks format.

The BSRI sounds awesome but unfortunately can't fit it there.

I had an Eruptor for awhile that I really liked. I just looked at their site and the Hizumitas has my interest. I think I'm getting too many interests :lol:

Dowi wrote:surprised to see that no one mentioned the Dr.Scientist Frazz Dazzler V2. The 3-band eq united with the starve control seem to make it super versatile for a number of uses, it has been on my radar for ages.

Ahh yes, Frazz Dazzler, forgot about that one. I've almost purchased one a few times, I think I'm going to try one finally. The Ponderer Sounds demo gives me GAS for one. Between the Clusterfuzz Jr, Frazz Dazzler and Hizumitas, I think I might have the combo I'm looking for. Maybe :idk:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:02 am

Clusterfuzz Jr seems like a good candidate. If I knew something else that's better, I'd own it myself. There's just not enough tweakable top jack'ed fuzzy overdrives out there that aren't $300 :(

Edit: forgot to mension I've been curious about the new Matthew Effects 'the broker". Versatile as fuck, like all ME pedlols. Not all demos show what it's capable of, it seems to be able to go squeely/raspy/gated, so not just polite od tones.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lost in music » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 am

Ok, wow. That Matthews Effects Broker sounds pretty interesting. This demo is definitely pretty long, but he locks into the fuzzy goodness around the 16 minute mark and doesn't let up for about 10 more minutes. I could definitely add one of these to my wish list.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90s8sB4DhHk[/youtube]
Last edited by lost in music on Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:43 am

Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom.
Tom makes em with top jacks and I dunno about the latest version, but I had one where it had a choke switch that made it go all kinds of splat. Tom loves the splat so I'm fairly certain the new one will do that to, but ask him.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Gear