Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Postby Tall Walls » Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 am

For no good reason I suddenly got a wild hair about getting a Fuzz Face. I was just staring off into space and thought "I don't have a FF-style fuzz, I should get one." My local shop had the MXR Classic 108 fuzz mini in stock and apart from being rejected by cork-sniffers it seemed like people online like it fine, so I picked it up. Now, I'm pretty lousy when it comes to playing the rock n roll, the only strat-style guitar I have I found in pieces in a box on the curb, and the only Marshall amp I have is the battery-powered mini with the 3" speaker. So I'm not copping "glassy cleans" or anything Hendrixy with my half-broken Peavey amps and guitars. But still, I feel like I've learned something. It certainly behaves differently than my Muffs and other weirdo fuzzes. Maybe this could be the start of a new career for me down at the Chug Suckle.

I also learned that I did already have a FF-style fuzz--the fuzz section of the EHX Cock Fight is apparently pretty much just a Fuzz Face. I compared it to the MXR Classic 108, and I found them to be similar (BC550B transistors instead of BC108). Unfortunately, I was an early adopter of the Cock Fight, so mine doesn't have the DIP switch they added later that allows you to use the fuzz by itself. Mine is always going through the wah section. Still, with the tone and bias controls I can get some usable tones that aren't very cocked-wah-sounding. I'm tempted to return the MXR, but I probably won't.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby cosmicevan » Thu May 27, 2021 11:57 pm

some more new to me stuff. My first ever BitQuest!!! Big thanks to MaxMaps!

•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri May 28, 2021 6:15 am

Do I need another Muff? No.
Have I just snagged one? Yes.

BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pepe » Fri May 28, 2021 6:54 am

You are weak and pathetic.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MaxMaps » Fri May 28, 2021 8:47 am

cosmicevan wrote:some more new to me stuff. My first ever BitQuest!!! Big thanks to MaxMaps!

:hug:

I hope you love it - it’s a rad pedal it is but my micro-scopic music area is already getting full and it’s too cool of a box to just be left on my desk.

The beer isn’t bad too - Rouge is made on the Oregon coast and it’s tasty stuff
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am

Pepe wrote:You are weak and pathetic.

I am also very mid-scooped.

MaxMaps wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:some more new to me stuff. My first ever BitQuest!!! Big thanks to MaxMaps!

:hug:

I hope you love it - it’s a rad pedal it is but my micro-scopic music area is already getting full and it’s too cool of a box to just be left on my desk.

The beer isn’t bad too - Rouge is made on the Oregon coast and it’s tasty stuff

Best Bitquest finish :love:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby K2000 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:14 pm

What are the plug attachments in the Bitquest pic?
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Fri May 28, 2021 1:50 pm

K2000 wrote:What are the plug attachments in the Bitquest pic?

I had to look them up too, they apparently little expression knobs and control devices: https://elgaratge.com/
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby cosmicevan » Sat May 29, 2021 4:17 pm

yeah...2 are expression knobs...similar to the expression slider concept, except this is a button that goes right into the pedal! The one with the box has a built in LFO for ramping of a sweep. You can hold that red button and make a pattern that it will replicate. Pretty cool. I just plugged them in and verified they worked.

Also really digging the bitquest. I had heard everyone talking about using the reverb and it is a really great verb. Gonna toss it on my board for a jam tonight and see what's what.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:18 am

So much gear to talk about!! :!!!:

Out: Bitquest, EB Music Man Sub 4 Bass

In: Squire Affinty Telecaster, Dirge Slowly Melting.

I am fairly proud of myself for the amount of self control I have had lately but there are weeks where the GAS is just too much. I am having so much fun playing music again, I feel like I am 18 all over again. Also I am really happy with my small gear pile so I can be the best lousy bass / guitar player in all of Oregon.

What left, my EBMM bass that started my music playing journey a year ago - A FANTASIC 300 bass guitar that came great out of the box but I am now an anti battery person - I know active pick ups blah blah blah but I don't have time for that 9vt shit anymore. After I got my Jazz Bass which is pretty perfect for me in everyway it just sat in the closet so out it went.

The Bitquest was a hard one, while I really dug this pedal I felt it was just too much to sit on my desk. I had it off my board for over a month now so I decided to selectively move it too Cosmicvan who I knew would give it a good home. ( hope you enjoyed the beer!)

What is in:

I drunk ordered a Slowly Melting - such a unique pedal... I am really going to have to try and fuck around with it some more but the finish and everything is so punk rock. It looks so rad next to my virus .... a 100% keeper on this even if I don't fully utilize it. 10/10 more dirge again.

Also the guitar gas got me and I ended up walking away with a 230.00 squire telecaster. While I could have bought triple the guitar its prefect for my beginning playing level and time that I can invest into it. Four days in a row this week I have been noodling trying to find the power cords. Not bad for a guy who quite music three times and never fucked around with guitar seriously until now.

In the mean time, I am going to grab a tube screamer of some sort and swap out pedals when needed - the MBD2 is balls amazing on bass but not so much on guitar. Also though about picking up a Timmy or a REV3 but I know there a ZILLION flavors of dirt out there so I am just going to wait until payday again before I pick anything up.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:10 pm

MaxMaps wrote:
In the mean time, I am going to grab a tube screamer of some sort and swap out pedals when needed -

Plumes?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 pm

And today in the mailbox I've found this one! Super cool pedal, thank you Mark!
Schermata 2021-06-02 alle 19.48.05.jpg
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
MaxMaps wrote:
In the mean time, I am going to grab a tube screamer of some sort and swap out pedals when needed -

Plumes?

I didn't know the plumes was based on a Tube screamer - I know the palisades is.

Good to know!
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Yesterday I received a parcel from Japan:

I had a PS-2 twelve years ago. I somehow missed its lo-fi sounds. It's awesome to fiddle around with it again! :yay:

I immediately heard that this is a unit from the first months of production, because it had the high frequency noise as all the early units. I swapped an electrolytic capacitor and added two mylar capacitors according to the original service manual, so now it sounds just as good as the later units.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tall Walls » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:26 pm

I was going to try for one of the latest batch of Drolo Stretch Weavers, but I took a nap instead.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear