Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby StivBrigggs » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Dowi wrote:
StivBrigggs wrote:20W does give quite the amount of headroom. For live gigs at smaller venues my Hiwatt holds up just fine within a loud band.
I do use it as a clean platform for pedals, but the gain knob really helps get you some break-up without shaking the walls.
This is a LOUD 20W.

This is the SA20 with Fanes.
I also have ran the amp through Celestions, but really prefer the fanes as they are brighter and suit the amp better IMO.

I've considered Reeves and Hi-Tone, all of em'....
I happened to come across this amp on a work trip and took it home with me.
I've always wanted a Hiwatt. Would love to have a OG 70's 100 watt half stack some day. Always looking for used Reeves etc as well.
There is something special is about the Hiwatt sound, and it has drawn me to them since I started to play music.
It's my favourite amp.

Can't believe I finally found someone who has the 20w version. How does it behave at low volumes? I have a custom 50 - which is my favorite amp ever - and I have been caught by those smaller formats but never had the chance to play one. It's the perfect pedal platform for me, and was considering those for future home playing/recording (in an isolated room) as the 50w would shake the walls even with the master set on 9 o clock.

It sounds great at low volumes! It really shines as you turn it up though. Loves pedals. Like all of us.
StivBrigggs

committed
committed

Postby Woolworm » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:09 pm

Someone please comment on my amp and cab configuration that I will have when I have the wonga.

Science Amplification Street Sweeper MKII (KT88 Tubes, 200 watt)

4 x 12 cabinet
- Eminence Delta Pro 12A
- Weber Blue Dog (Ceramic)
- Weber California (Ceramic)
- Weber Tone Cvlt Bloodhound

Ultra high head room, wide frequency spectrum response, emphasis on the bass and the highs, as the mid frequencies are naturally louder to humans. The aim is to multiply the instruments heard when only one is being played. The 6 strings of the guitar is separated into 3 bands, and each band is so separated in the amp, it becomes three instruments, and because they're all controlled by the same chord, they are naturally in harmony and will always be in harmony with every change.

Obviously, single coils on the guitar, preferably a Rickenbacker 330 12 string but don't have that yet, my Jazzmaster with Lace Alumatone pickups shall do. Also want a G&L Doheny.
Last edited by Woolworm on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby mathias » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:11 pm

I have a Street Sweeper MkII 50w with a Science 2x12! It had more bass than I need at home playing in my office. (But it is no bass amp stage rig.)
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Woolworm » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:13 pm

mathias wrote:I have a Street Sweeper MkII 50w with a Science 2x12! It had more bass than I need at home playing in my office. (But it is no bass amp stage rig.)

That is what I like to hear! I honestly end up playing the bass amp even tho I play guitar if Im in a room with a not so ideal guitar amp.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby mathias » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:33 pm

The Mother in 200w format may be good to look into. But the Street Sweeper does the single channel, edge of breakup thing really well. And you have the spring reverb to add — I’ve got the first preset set as a pretty standard spring reverb sound and the second preset set as a really huge, vast reverb. Sounds great. I’ve really taken it as my main amp, and particularly with a Jazzmaster and fuzz + modulation, it is great.

It doesn’t do the metal chugga so much on its own, but I’ve got a Throat Locust (HM-2) to help me with that now, and I may give a Science Decolonizer a try in the future. The issue I have is that I don’t even need a 50w head. So I may invest in a Two Notes Torpedo first. But ideally there’d be some way for Alex to do his Science amp magic and have the cab sim load box with DI XLR + headphones in the same head shell.

mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Woolworm » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:38 pm

mathias wrote:The Mother in 200w format may be good to look into. But the Street Sweeper does the single channel, edge of breakup thing really well. And you have the spring reverb to add — I’ve got the first preset set as a pretty standard spring reverb sound and the second preset set as a really huge, vast reverb. Sounds great. I’ve really taken it as my main amp, and particularly with a Jazzmaster and fuzz + modulation, it is great.

It doesn’t do the metal chugga so much on its own, but I’ve got a Throat Locust (HM-2) to help me with that now, and I may give a Science Decolonizer a try in the future. The issue I have is that I don’t even need a 50w head. So I may invest in a Two Notes Torpedo first. But ideally there’d be some way for Alex to do his Science amp magic and have the cab sim load box with DI XLR + headphones in the same head shell.

I just don't really need the overdrive channel on the Mother.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 am

Woolworm wrote:Someone please comment on my amp and cab configuration that I will have when I have the wonga.

4 x 12 cabinet
- Eminence Delta Pro 12A

Ultra high head room, wide frequency spectrum response, emphasis on the bass and the highs, as the mid frequencies are naturally louder to humans. The aim is to multiply the instruments heard when only one is being played. The 6 strings of the guitar is separated into 3 bands, and each band is so separated in the amp, it becomes three instruments, and because they're all controlled by the same chord, they are naturally in harmony and will always be in harmony with every change.

Obviously, single coils on the guitar, preferably a Rickenbacker 330 12 string but don't have that yet, my Jazzmaster with Lace Alumatone pickups shall do. Also want a G&L Doherty.

Isn't that speaker config kinda batshit? I was always told that mixing speakers like that makes you have phase issues like crazy. I do wanna hear a blue bulldog hit with 200 watts tho :!!!:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Woolworm » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:56 am

qersty wrote:
Woolworm wrote:Someone please comment on my amp and cab configuration that I will have when I have the wonga.

4 x 12 cabinet
- Eminence Delta Pro 12A

Obviously, single coils on the guitar, preferably a Rickenbacker 330 12 string but don't have that yet, my Jazzmaster with Lace Alumatone pickups shall do. Also want a G&L Doherty.

Isn't that speaker config kinda batshit? I was always told that mixing speakers like that makes you have phase issues like crazy. I do wanna hear a blue bulldog hit with 200 watts tho :!!!:

I doubt it. But I wanna have the most variety when recording, so I'll be micing up every single speaker. Then another mic a little further behind to capture all and then an ambient mic.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:07 am

Cool. You use some high-SPL condensers then? What kinda cab btw
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Woolworm » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:30 am

qersty wrote:Cool. You use some high-SPL condensers then? What kinda cab btw

The AKG 2i2 is my personal fave condenser mic. Atleast the ones Ive heard so far. Whether its high SPL who knows, it better be. And I guess an science cab or maybe an orange cab.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:54 am

you mean the akg 214?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mathias » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Science cabs are really well built. Otherwise for 200w I’d look at Emperor, worshiper, Atlas cabs in your area. Used empty that you can pick up might be easier and you’ll save a ton on shipping. (Though you end up paying a lot on shipping the speakers themselves.)

mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Woolworm » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:07 pm

qersty wrote:you mean the akg 214?

Yes lol. Forget its name for a minute.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby Woolworm » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:01 pm

mathias wrote:Science cabs are really well built. Otherwise for 200w I’d look at Emperor, worshiper, Atlas cabs in your area. Used empty that you can pick up might be easier and you’ll save a ton on shipping. (Though you end up paying a lot on shipping the speakers themselves.)

oh yeah, the atlas oversized 4x12 remember looking at that sometime ago.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby mathias » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Also, get the Science if you think you’ll like it but you may try something like a Quilter head, since you said you don’t want a crunch channel.

mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear