No doom lovers anymore?

Re: No doom lovers anymore?

Postby BlackOceans » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 am

Been doomin' since '08 when I bought my first few staple records of the genre and let it consume me hahaha then took a 5 year or so break from said dooming for other musical pastures. Got back into it all recently and trying to catch up a little on what I missed lol
BlackOceans

involved
involved

Postby stoneapart » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:28 am

I apologize if this throws everything off topic but i did notice one of 2 things...this thread is called "no doom lovers anymore" and i noticed that there hasn't been a lot of activity on the i love doom site here. so my question is...are there no doom lovers anymore? i know that genres come and go but jesus man...doom is in our blood...we live it and breathe it. so to answer the original question...yes sir...there is at least one other doom lover out there and i'm gonna do my best to try to get i love doom back up and thriving. not sure how but damnit man...i love doom!!!!!
stoneapart

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:18 am

vidret wrote:
John Matrix wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:^^^^

I see doom as having a specific sort of melodic sensibility. Think Sabbath etc. Ultimately blues / old school metal derived to a greater or lesser degree.
Sludge is just... sludgy. Not everything that's tuned low and slow is "doom" :idk:

I know this is getting a bit into the realm of subgenres are out of control :lol:

Yeah I agree. It gets tricky because Black Sabbath is so old and has influenced so many different kinds of music. The Melvins for example are clearly influenced by Sabbath but are in no way a doom band. For me there are two main branches of what I'd consider doom metal. The stoner doom branch from Sabbath to Sleep, Electric Wizard etc...and the doom METAL branch from Candlemass onward (funeral and death doom are pretty far removed from Sabbath but could trace their lineage back this way imo). But really...what the fuck do I know. I don't really care what people call anything this is just how I think about it.

even trying to put things into genres like sludge/doom/metal/stoner is way too difficult when bands sound more like one or the other on the same album from one song to the next.

Yeah it is kinda a pointless exercise at some point

(I still love doom)
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John Matrix » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:16 pm

stoneapart wrote:I apologize if this throws everything off topic but i did notice one of 2 things...this thread is called "no doom lovers anymore" and i noticed that there hasn't been a lot of activity on the i love doom site here. so my question is...are there no doom lovers anymore? i know that genres come and go but jesus man...doom is in our blood...we live it and breathe it. so to answer the original question...yes sir...there is at least one other doom lover out there and i'm gonna do my best to try to get i love doom back up and thriving. not sure how but damnit man...i love doom!!!!!

I still love and play this kind of music but I find most discussion of the genre on line to be weak. Tons of Iommi memes and jokes about Matt Pike's shirt, endless worship of the same seminal bands and their derivatives, amp collectors with no riffs, the "Does it Doom" youtube channel, and a bunch of other crap. Reddit is probably the worst offender, I think the discussion on this site was pretty good for the most part but it isn't very active.

Lots of great music still being released but I pretty much just talk about it with my friends and enjoy it on my own.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby alcohol.won » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm

stoneapart wrote:Lots of great music still being released but I pretty much just talk about it with my friends and enjoy it on my own.

alcohol.won

involved
involved

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:34 am

John Matrix wrote:
stoneapart wrote:I apologize if this throws everything off topic but i did notice one of 2 things...this thread is called "no doom lovers anymore" and i noticed that there hasn't been a lot of activity on the i love doom site here. so my question is...are there no doom lovers anymore? i know that genres come and go but jesus man...doom is in our blood...we live it and breathe it. so to answer the original question...yes sir...there is at least one other doom lover out there and i'm gonna do my best to try to get i love doom back up and thriving. not sure how but damnit man...i love doom!!!!!

I still love and play this kind of music but I find most discussion of the genre on line to be weak. Tons of Iommi memes and jokes about Matt Pike's shirt, endless worship of the same seminal bands and their derivatives, amp collectors with no riffs, the "Does it Doom" youtube channel, and a bunch of other crap. Reddit is probably the worst offender, I think the discussion on this site was pretty good for the most part but it isn't very active.

Lots of great music still being released but I pretty much just talk about it with my friends and enjoy it on my own.

^^^^^^^ :lol: Not that I was ever massively active on ilovedoom, because like, there's only so much chat about giant amps and iommi (much as both of those things are great) :p
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:55 am

mmm....

Iommmmmmiiiiiiiiii!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:53 pm

We of IceBear still doom, intact due too the extra doomyness of these doom times we are all doomed. Thankfully wolves can feast on our bloated carcasses... anyway here is a new song

Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BlackOceans » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:57 am

Diggin it man, the last three minutes I was vibing through the home theater hahaha

Side note, anybody happen to catch the "Doomies" the other day on YT?
BlackOceans

involved
involved

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks! :doom:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Velcro Bottom » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 am

Nice.
Velcro Bottom

committed
committed

Postby horseblanket » Tue May 11, 2021 4:58 pm

I still love and play this kind of music but I find most discussion of the genre on line to be weak. Tons of Iommi memes and jokes about Matt Pike's shirt, endless worship of the same seminal bands and their derivatives, amp collectors with no riffs, the "Does it Doom" youtube channel, and a bunch of other crap. [/quote]

SO MUCH THIS.

Made me spit out my drink.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org