Amp+Cab in a peddle! who be win, who be lose, we find out

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Amp+Cab in a peddle! who be win, who be lose, we find ou

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 am

You're just going to have to buy them all and tell us which one wins.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CSCD » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:50 am

Dowi wrote:Good to know, Shift Line would have been my first choice but never got the chance to speak with somebody who actually had it. I know with bass is a different thing, but the overall structure of the pedal is the same. How's it speaking of headroom and compression when pushed with loud signals?

There seems to be more than enough headroom (for my purposes at least). I'm no expert when it comes to all this, but I've been running a bunch of fuzz into it and it doesn't turn into a mess — so it's a win in my book :?:
Cyborg See Cyborg Do (ambient, drone, soundtrack-style)

Sandbite (electronic noisepop/shoegaze/whatever)

Wounded Mammoth (noise, drone and shit)
CSCD

interested
interested

Postby MaxMaps » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:50 am

vidret wrote:
MaxMaps wrote:I have been using the Darkglass element

https://www.darkglass.com/creations/element/

It checks all the boxes with the execption that its only a cab sim at the moment but they did add some basic head sim adjustments you can fuck with as well

I've looked at this before, even though it doesn't say it's an amp/pre-amp sim you consider it good enough when running dirt pedals straight into it?

My whole set up essentially runs through the element so yes I do consider it good enough to run dirt and pedals into it. I still have some free days left on my reaper copy so I will try and post of clips of what I am hearing through the element.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 am

Reaper doesn't actually kick you off after the free trial FYI you just have an annoying "please pay us" screen while opening. Obviously paying for stuff is nice if you keep using it, but don't feel in a rush like it'll disappear lol.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MaxMaps » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Reaper doesn't actually kick you off after the free trial FYI you just have an annoying "please pay us" screen while opening. Obviously paying for stuff is nice if you keep using it, but don't feel in a rush like it'll disappear lol.

Word - I am gonna try post some clips. The most recent update to the element gives you the ability to record directly into a DAW.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm

For $0.00 I've yet to find anything that sounds half as good as the Kuassa Amplifikation Lite VST and the Wilkinson God's Cab IR pack. I've been doing a lot of at-home recording with that combo and it's been fantastic. The Kuassa VST has a built-in IR loader—the stock speaker sim is pretty meh and it's incredible the difference that the god's cab pack makes. I think it's based on a 5150; I use it as a pedal platform and get all of my dirt/effects from pedals.

This is maybe not super helpful for someone who's not sitting in front of a computer when they're writing/recording, but for me this has been a satisfying option that has quelled any GAS I previously had for the simplifier.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby mcatano » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Oh, also, the amps and cabs in the zoom multi-stomps are totally not bad. I guess you'd need to figure out a headphone situation though.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby PeterBregman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm

vidret wrote:any comment on what's happening here?

I've never run into that. It is an analog unit, so gain-staging applies (as with all analog devices). Sounds like he need to turn the output of his reverb down :idk:

As far as it not being "chewy" enough, not sure what to say. I'm definitely not going for the kind of hyper-modern digital-sounding clean tones he seems to dig, so it might just come down to taste.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Been using Iridiums in place of tube amps for the last year or thereabouts and have been happy with them. Make for good pedal platforms.

For a little bit, I replaced the Iridiums with various vst amp sims (neural, amplitube) and I think I like the Iridiums better.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Woolworm » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm

I was thinking of buying the Simplifier but do I need a preamp when recording in Hi-Z when the interface is also a preamp? Wouldn't that muddy it the way it does having a preamp going into an amp's preamp (i.e. the front end and not the fx loop)? Has anyone tried a guitar preamp used for microphones as well? Maybe for vocals or recording an amp.

Ofcourse live it is a godsend and would be a lot cheaper than buying an amp head.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby Warpsmasher » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:46 pm

I like to have a few channels/devices on hand for this because modular, so I've added a Mooer Radar. It's really good for low gain amp simming, haven't really tried much dirt stacking or amp tweaking, but it takes fuzz and overdrive pedals very well. Also use my Digitech Grunge mixer out for just cab sometimes, and RP360 for the really nice selection of amp and cab sims.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:04 pm

Dowi wrote:Don't know how the preamp reacts to pedals tbh, but regarding the cab Sim part somebody here had the Shift Line cabzone and was super happy with it.
I think it was JonnyAngle probably

Definitely Jonny. And I’ve got one, too, thanks to him. IR loader with headphone out, very handy to plug a pedalboard into for silent practice. Some of the stock IRs capture a tube power section along with the speakers, others having been captured with a flat solid state power amp. Add a preamp-sounding pedal (Mini, Xotic SL Drive) and it will pass pretty well for an amp. I’ve skipped on that part and it doesn’t do bad for general fuzz and effects play.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:43 am

I really liked the Tech 21 Tri-OD too. Don't know how much it differs from a regular sansamp, but it was really easy to dial in and sounded good direct, and going through big stereo delays and reverbs.
AMT pedals are nice, I had the E1 and California Sound. Both were fine at what they did and were nice and amp-like at good volumes, but at the end of the day, if it can't do a decent bassman I'm not gonna care about it that much.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby weebles » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:23 pm

I’ve got the iridium and it sounds really nice for most of what I like to do. I will say that the headphones-out can sometimes sound a little compressed and squishy when running certain effects like an echo dream. There’s going to be some artifacts missing compared to an amp.

I’ve also put a volume pedal right before the iridium when running headphones because it can mess with my tinnitus fairly easily.

Running direct out to monitors/input software is where it really shines IMO.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby MaxMaps » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:34 pm

https://tbsc.bandcamp.com/track/ms70cdr-test

Here is a scratch track of an idea I am working on - This was recorded directly from my Darkglass Element.

Signal Chain is ATM

TU3 - Seymour Duncan Bass Comp - MBD2 - Bitquest - Disaster Transport - MS70CDR - RC1 - Element
Last edited by MaxMaps on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear