Can I sport a whale-tail when playin' guitar?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Can I sport a whale-tail when playin' guitar?

Postby qersty » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:34 am

Anybody here who plays whit a wound G? Talking about lighter sets like 10s or 11s. I always get annoyed that the G is a little too dull and I'm questioning my sanity cause it seems nobody uses a set like that.

think i maybe have crossed the line where strings arent the issue and I should get better pickups for my strat that lets me have a little zing from elsewhere

almost going the branca route and just using whatever thats a magnetic wire. or going zz top and playing with super lights. that would be something, tres hombres for an atonal guitar orchestra
Last edited by qersty on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby goroth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:53 am

Wound G for life.
I tune down to D though.

On my 24.75 scale guitar I juse D'Addario EJ21. On my 25.5" scale guitars I use D'addario EXL117 and then swapping out the plain G with a wound G. That is 11, 14, 20(wound), 32, 44, 56.

I hate plain G's with a passion.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:37 am

normally people complain that a plain g is too present vs other strings

i'm always curious about those players that double up gauges, like townsend using another B for the G. i think cropper may have done something similar.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:49 am

I totally get when downtuning. I got ernie ball heavy slinky (?) and it was a 56 set with a plain 022 or something insane like that it was terrible!

Using a B for a G sounds odd, I would bend that into oblivion. Reminds me of how les clapool apparently uses an 80-80-40-40 set for his bass. Which is probably untrue and made up to trick people ...probably
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:06 pm

I love a wound G yeah! I don't tend to find that it sounds dull :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby PeterBregman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Funny this comes up now. I just ordered a set of strings with a wound G for the first time ever, and I did it for tension reasons. After getting a '93 Duo Sonic with a 22.7" scale, I've been trying to get the tension right. A regular set of 11's didn't quite do it. I used Stringjoy's tension calculator (https://tension.stringjoy.com/) to fine tune what I wanted, and ended up ordering a custom set, with a 0.020 wound G string. This'll be my first time messing with a wound G, but I'm hoping it helps it stay in tune (plain G's seem to drift vs all the other strings), and feel more even with the other strings.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Neat app! I don't know if I should thank you or tell you to fuck off :lol: that's my sunday night. Fun to see the tension change. I have a duo sonic too but it is modern and has 24 inch scale like fender offsets. I just use regular tens on it though, which is slinkier than my full scale fender which has a weird heavier set (got the wrong one and got anxious about returning)
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:02 pm

Wound G is definitely easier to intonate, and has better sustain. I think.
I dunno. I play with so much distortion everything sustains forever.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:08 pm

I perfer a plain G but on guitar but I haven't been able to get the gauge I like in a long time [.029] because it gave me a specific sound having a plain string that heavy.. awesome slide sound and doing bends at the 2nd & 3rd fret sounded really different...
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:39 pm

goroth wrote:Wound G is definitely easier to intonate, and has better sustain. I think.
I dunno. I play with so much distortion everything sustains forever.

Yeah I'm not totally sure about sustain but they are easier to intonate for sure. I started doing it for tension on my 24" jag because I don't like really fat plain Gs like you bs. I still have plain Gs on lighter sets but once I'm going heavy-ish I like the wound.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:I perfer a plain G but on guitar but I haven't been able to get the gauge I like in a long time [.029] because it gave me a specific sound having a plain string that heavy.. awesome slide sound and doing bends at the 2nd & 3rd fret sounded really different...

who in god's name has ever made a plain 29?! that's wild
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Ernie ball :thumb: I ordered them in 10 packs from guitar center back in the late 90s ... so things lasted me for years and then I could never find more :cry:

It started with I once had this guy in Berkeley with a shop called guitarorama set up my guitar for bari and he put the string set together: 16,29,36,48,58,70 (he said worked on machinehead’s guitars....) anyway he was a funny guy. Damn strings would shred your hands but what in your face snarky sound :thumb:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chromandre » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:16 pm

oh yes. feels like acoustic and rounds out the volume, I think the other solution is the jimi gauge has a much lighter g string but it just feels wrong to me
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:34 am

i've played plain G strings on electric most of my life. i prefer plain ones because they're closer to the sound of the top two strings and thus it's easier to maintain a consistent tone and volume when playing lead. i like having the divide between the three strings that cut and the three strings that boom/twang...you can play the same three notes in different positions and get totally different effects. plain Gs don't really work on acoustic, though, because the relative amount of high end from a flattop is drastically lower than an amplified electric. they need the mass and tension to drive the top. i could see it for slide, though.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm

I much prefer the tuning stability of a wound G, but I have a difficult time doing the bends I'm used to with a plain G. I usually use 11s and tune to D standard, and I wonder if a .018w would be too skinny/unbalanced on such a set.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass