· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General discussion at the Wang Bar.
Post a reply

Re: The Video Game thread

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 pm

The learning curve is indeed a nightmare, but that was my son's intention. And he implemented a level editor so you can create your own mazes.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm

if only all game designers were so generous!

really interesting puzzle platform design, can see elements like Meatboy, Thomas Was Alone, Celeste and Guacamelee

i am really fascinated by the design philosophies behind modern puzzle platformers and find celeste's idiosyncrasies to be very compelling

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:36 pm

That Carrion game looks f'n dope and I will nab it.

Have been playing MY FRIEND PEDRO on the old Switch. It is awesome and reminds me of HOTLINE MIAMI a bit in terms of gory twitch killer.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 am

Halo 3's fun. A lot slower than I remember, but fun. Except for legendary mode. Fuck legendary mode.
Rust is also fun when I'm not getting griefed by assholes trying to foundation wipe my nice little villages.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:44 am

Carrion is neat. i'm such a slug with games right now though. i played Blasphemous for a level, had fun, but went back to Dead Cells. got a level or two into Carrion and just... just don't want to learn any new control schemes right now? went back to trying to grab more blueprints for DC. i... can't get bast 2 Cells, farming blueprints till i focus trying to do that.

also, shit on me. i didn't even KNOW the Doomguy Daisy Bunny lore, totally missed all the hidden Daisy's in Eternal -

boof. Eternal is... a self-deafeatingly perfectly tuned difficulty? at least for me? i did Doom 2016 on normal, then next difficulty, then Hell i think? but normal mode on Eternal was hard enough that i had to repeat some sections JUST enough to feel like i accomplished ALL THE THINGS when i beat it, but any more would have been an annoying slog. gonna give it awhile and then try the higher difficulty.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:34 pm

Yeah, I bounced off Doom Eternal. I respect what they've done with tuning all the little systems to work together, but I am too lazy to want to balance three resource meters in the heat of combat while switching weapons all the time.
I got through DOOM 2016 on two decades of twitch FPS instincts. Just let me shotgun people in the face, id.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:44 pm

lol. just let me shotgun people in the face is a beautiful, beautiful sentiment.

i mean. in Virtual Kill Land only. of course.

yeah. balancing all 3 gets hectic, i barely ever remembered to set people on fire for armor because.... i mean. fucking armor. if it's not a shield that regenerates, it's just an addendum to a health meter.

also, it kind of makes it feel almost inconsequential when you kill anything but a big boss? i felt like i EARNED IT the first time i killed Whatever Those Dog Summoning Fuckers With A Shield were called, but got to where i could casually wipe out every thing around then methodically take them out. more patience than skill after a point?

i get it, have to be a ton of grunts to let you keep ammo and health up, but everything below mid/full bosses turn into gnats after a few levels?

awesome game though. will revisit at some point. still have Doom 2016 on my Switch, only played a few levels.

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Finished "A Way Out" with my gf the other day (cue bad jokes! bring em in!). It was ok but not more. If we didn't enjoy gaming together as much as we do I would've been really disapointed. We'd played Brothers (Josef Fares previous game) before and we both think that was miles better. Hazelight seem to have cool project they're working on now so maybe they can learn from A Way Out.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Is anyone else playing Freedom Finger? I feel like deserves way more hype! The soundtrack is amazing and the gameplay is absurd and super fun!

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:44 am

that looks amazing. but almost gives me seizures watching the vidja, so.... damn. i feel old lately.

woot! got my 4th cell in Dead Cells. i'm.... a little scared to turn it on. started a new file so i could super minimize the weapons pool (higher levels i can really only play with the electric whip) so need to grind the S drop percentage up to 50 percent. or 25? forget what it goes to with 3 cells.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:14 pm

MrNovember wrote:Is anyone else playing Freedom Finger? I feel like deserves way more hype! The soundtrack is amazing and the gameplay is absurd and super fun!

I want to now - :love: Aesop Rock

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 pm

Dandolin wrote:
MrNovember wrote:Is anyone else playing Freedom Finger? I feel like deserves way more hype! The soundtrack is amazing and the gameplay is absurd and super fun!

I want to now - :love: Aesop Rock

I still haven't made it to any of the Aesop Rock levels in the game, but I actually really like the album he wrote to go along with it. The game has been getting more and more weird the further I get and I love it

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:10 am

Been playing Morrowind lately. Still rules.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 am

Yeeessssss I have always intended to go back to Morrowind at some stage.. IDK whether it'll happen but the game holds a special place in my heart

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:04 pm

You guys make me feel like a caveman. I’ve spent most of this year beating various old Castlevania games and old rpgs. I’m currently getting ready to beat the final dungeon in FFVI for the first time (next up is Mother 3).

I did beat Doom 2016 on switch earlier this year, though. After I did we had to replace my joycons because I’d literally destroyed them playing that game. The joystick housing was dented from all the glory kills when we opened it up to replace the parts.
Post a reply