The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:43 am

I just watched the movie Desolation Center on Prime. I'm not the world's biggest punk rock fan, but wow, that was really great. I recommend it highly.
Last edited by Lurker13 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:49 am

I'm sad that Sabrina is over.
I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:45 am

Achtane wrote:I'm sad that Sabrina is over.

For a Riverdale spinoff it was surprisingly good.
Honestly, kinda glad they decided to end it properly rather than have it be another Netflix show that mysteriously died because "covid" or some such other excuse.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:20 pm

jrfox92 wrote:

Honestly, kinda glad they decided to end it properly rather than have it be another Netflix show that mysteriously died because "covid" or some such other excuse.

NSFW for spoilers, but I have O P I N I O N S cause I loved Sabrina.
NSFW: show
I just wish the ending was better tbh. The whole final season felt super rushed, you could tell they were trying to cram ideas that were probably gonna be fleshed out more in the future into a single season. It felt messy and was high key a stressful watch just as far as keeping up with everything going on. What really pissed me off was the last episode. They way they through in NIck causally committing suicide to be with Sabrina like its no big deal was frankly disgusting. THe last thing we need is to make light of something like that, especially for the sake of having a happy ever after.

In the future if anyone I know wants to watch it I'm telling them to stop after season 3. :no:
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:15 pm

BitchPudding wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:

NSFW for spoilers, but I have O P I N I O N S cause I loved Sabrina.
I just wish the ending was better tbh. The whole final season felt super rushed, you could tell they were trying to cram ideas that were probably gonna be fleshed out more in the future into a single season. It felt messy and was high key a stressful watch just as far as keeping up with everything going on. What really pissed me off was the last episode. They way they through in NIck causally committing suicide to be with Sabrina like its no big deal was frankly disgusting. THe last thing we need is to make light of something like that, especially for the sake of having a happy ever after.

In the future if anyone I know wants to watch it I'm telling them to stop after season 3. :no:

Yeah, it was a mess near the end. I read somewhere that they didn't know the show was getting cancelled until after the season was produced, so I dunno :idk:
As far as endings go it did suck.
Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:14 pm

We just watched Soul on Disney+. What a phenomenal movie! I was very emotional throughout; the whole message of being in the moment and living your life really resonated with me. Also full of great music from Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Jon Batiste and tons of humour too
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Achtane » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Soul was the shit. Best Disney movie in a long time IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 pm

I've been binging movies on my Netflix list lately and have watched so many great movies. Here are some quick reviews in the order that I've watched them:

Midnight Sky - overall, pretty enjoyable, but there are so many scientific problems and plot holes. I guess this counts under the spoiler tag:
SPOILER : show
Like George Clooney falling into in the arctic waters, losing all of his equipment including his life saving dialysis machine, and then somehow still walking to his destination with a like 8 year old child in tow? Yeah, no, he'd be dead.

12 Monkeys - I watched this a long time ago, but saw it was leaving Netflix again soon. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely hits a little differently considering the current world circumstances.

Mortal Engines - I had completely written this off as some kind of weird young adults movie, like Hunger Games or Twilight, and it definitely kind of straddles that line, but it was pretty good. Great for some escapist sci-fi, but you definitely have to let go of reality/science a bit to fully enjoy it (might not be an issue for everyone, but it was the issue I had with Midnight Sky so :idk: )

Into the Spider-Verse - Not only have I lost interest in Spiderman movies because they've done such a terrible job at them for the past how many trilogies, but I've also completely lost interest in Marvel movies because, seriously, who cares at this point? That being said, Into the Spider-Verse was amazing and I would recommend it to any one. Tons of great humour and 4th wall breaks and the story was great.

Devil All the Time - wow, that was a great movie. Dark and twisted, but great! Some of it was a bit predictable, but there were also a few parts where I had no idea where it could go next. It kind of feels like Fargo set in and around O' Brother (although less musical and definitely more dark).

Extraction - ok, this one was terrible. I watched it as a bit of a palette cleanser after Devil All the Time. I literally had more than one "are you fucking serious" cliché reaction moments throughout. Definitely a good mindless distraction, but not a good movie.

Fifth Element - I mean this one is kind of a classic? I don't know how many times I've seen this one growing up, but I love it for all its faults (and it definitely has faults)

Detective Pikachu - there absolutely needs to be more movie adaptations of classic franchises that are this bold and hilarious. I have loved every second of it. The Mr Mime interrogation is beyond words! Ryan Reynolds has got to be one of my favourite comedian/actors.

Also, my fiancee and I have started to have a weekly movie night. She agreed to watch the Star Wars movies after loving the Child in the Mandalorian. I decided it was probably best to watch the movies in release order and so far we've watched Episodes IV, V, VI, I, and II. I actually don't think I've seen most of these movies for a good 10 to 15 years! I and II actually held up better than I was expecting. This absolutely isn't a hot take in any way, but the major negative moment really comes down to Jar Jar; literally 95% of his screen time could be removed without any impact to the plot and they would be better movies for it.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 pm

I have continued my movie, and now some TV, watching spree:

Slaughterhouse Rulez - looked like it had potential with its cast (Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, the other Simon Pegg aka Michael Sheen) and it was alright. Essentially a parody of a teen slasher movie, I guess. It was predictable, but kind of funny. Overall, probably wouldn't recommend this

Dredd - totally forgot about this movie, but the brutal slow-mo murder scenes are nuts. Kind of hits weird with all of the police brutality we've been seeing. And by kind of hits weird, I mean I was genuinely uncomfortable thinking that some cops today think that they are judge, jury, and executioner.

The Babysitter - pretty much the same as Slaughterhouse Rulez. It's an alright teen slasher movie parody. I laughed at a few parts, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Final Girl - I would not recommend. Essentially, a random guy randomly trains a little girl to be an assassin who uses some kind of DMT mixture to bring the deepest fears out of her targets before she kills them. Then he sics her on a group of teen guys who bring girls into the woods to hunt them alive. Literally nothing is explained. Like, why is this dude training child assassins? How does he know about the murder teens? Why can't he just kill them himself? Why does she have to pretend to be a victim first? Who knows! This movie is garbage

The Stand (Amazon series) - I haven't read the book in like a decade, but it was a pretty decent adaptation as far as I can remember. Reviews seem to speak otherwise, but whatever I liked it. My only complaint is that I wish there was more Trashcan.

Bill and Ted Face the Music - solid meh :idk:

Hereditary - I was not expecting this movie at all. I had seen Midsommar and knew this movie had similar themes, but, wow, that was fucked up. I really enjoyed it, but it also really made me feel uncomfortable and creeped out. That fucking car scene :no:

Lost Highway - as with pretty much anything David Lynch, I feel like I need to watch this again because I really didn't completely understand what I was watching

Sorry to Bother You - this was a really messed up commentary on today's society wrapped up in a dark comedy. I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend it
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 am

MrNovember wrote:Hereditary - I was not expecting this movie at all. I had seen Midsommar and knew this movie had similar themes, but, wow, that was fucked up. I really enjoyed it, but it also really made me feel uncomfortable and creeped out. That fucking car scene :no:

I also watched this recently, IDK why it took so long because Midsommar was one of my favourite films from the year it came out. hahahahaha yeah the SURPRISE in that scene :lol: and the way it really turns. Good movie.

MrNovember wrote:Sorry to Bother You - this was a really messed up commentary on today's society wrapped up in a dark comedy. I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend it

Yeaaahh I love this one! Saw it when it came out and had very little idea what I was getting into and thought it was fantastic. Rewatched on Netflix recently and I really enjoyed it second time round too.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

MrNovember wrote:Midnight Sky - overall, pretty enjoyable, but there are so many scientific problems and plot holes. I guess this counts under the spoiler tag:
Like George Clooney falling into in the arctic waters, losing all of his equipment including his life saving dialysis machine, and then somehow still walking to his destination with a like 8 year old child in tow? Yeah, no, he'd be dead.

12 Monkeys - I watched this a long time ago, but saw it was leaving Netflix again soon. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely hits a little differently considering the current world circumstances.

(...)

Also, my fiancee and I have started to have a weekly movie night. She agreed to watch the Star Wars movies after loving the Child in the Mandalorian. I decided it was probably best to watch the movies in release order and so far we've watched Episodes IV, V, VI, I, and II. I actually don't think I've seen most of these movies for a good 10 to 15 years! I and II actually held up better than I was expecting. This absolutely isn't a hot take in any way, but the major negative moment really comes down to Jar Jar; literally 95% of his screen time could be removed without any impact to the plot and they would be better movies for it.

I have been on the point of watching the Midnight Sky multiple times but every time I'm like.. Nah, let's leave it for another time. :idk:

12 Monkeys is incredible. It's the perfect merge of sci-fi meets realism meets Gilliam's dark humor meets Philip K. Dick. :thumb:

I watch the entire SW saga every year. :lol:
BTW Episode 2 is the worst Star Wars episode ever (christmas special excluded). period. Boring dialogues, awful CGI, terrible plot choices, brrr, it has them all. Episode 3, even with all its flaws, is dramatically better.

Me and my s/o recently watched a bunch of stuff too:

Russian Doll: enjoyed it a lot. Fun take on the "re-live the same day over and over" kind of show. I felt like it was short, simple, effective and self-conclusive, so i am a bit disappointed that they have decided to put out a second series.

I Am Thinking of Ending Things: I really like Kaufman and knowing him I had to expect the unexpected, but this time the length kills the script. The whole movie rotates around endless dialogues, which are brilliantly written, but after two hours i was dazed and tired (probably the fact that it was late night has something to do with this) and i just wanted it to end. Maybe that's the whole point of the title? :erm:

Green Book: Mortensen deserved an oscar for this one, incredible acting. The story is very good too, even more considering that's based on true facts.

Sleepers: an old one but somehow I had never watched it until now. I really like plots that evolve and show the passing of years on characters etc, and i enjoyed this one too.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:59 am

I definitely agree with regards to Episode II. A lot of the plot and dialogue is just annoying. Mainly because Anakin is just a pain in the ass the whole movie. Definitely not the best watch. We have since watched Episode III and it is much better. I actually had a friend in university who made a fan edit of Episodes 1-3. I'm pretty sure he cut all three movies down into one 3 hour movie. I should try to find that file, because there is a lot you could cut out of those movies that would likely improve them.

Russian Doll was great! Natasha Lyonne is pretty awesome in it. I honestly don't remember the whole series too well, but I don't remember feeling like I needed another season either. I'll still probably watch it

I just watched I Am Thinking of Ending Things last night. It took me awhile to get into it. The first half of the film is pretty slow and rather awkward, which I am awkward enough so I generally don't enjoy awkward movies. I also agree that after two hours the dialogues do get a bit tiresome even when they are so well written. I did really like all of the little tells that something weird was happening that were strewn about the first half though. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but I definitely felt pretty dazed and confused too. Spoiler:
It almost felt like watching the mind of a schizophrenic or Alzheimer's patient, which in the end actually made some sense
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 am

I really loved Russian Doll and I only learned there's a second season from this thread right now :lol:

Feels completely unnecessary and a very silly idea but... I will check it out at least.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Seance » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:15 am

A lot of the documentaries on NetFlix these days are four parts even if they could/should be just one.
And there isn't much in the way of inventiveness or creativity with the form. A lot of NetFlix documentaries
are on interesting and/or important subjects, but as documentaries they range from competent to shoddy.

Anybody watching the new Adam Curtis documentary Can't Get You Out of My Head on YouTube?

It's a slow build, but the things come together, the threads resonate with each other. The shots and sound
are put together not only so that the ideas seep into your brain, but also so that watching is a visceral emotional
experience. Adam Curtis has access to the BBC film library—lots of stuff never screened before—and so the
visuals spool out almost like the footage of an ethnographic film from the 1950s, except the "exotic" culture
in front of the camera is lots of different cultures from many different points in time.
And instead of the standard 4-episode NetFlix mode, this one pummels your heart and head over six installments.
It's free to watch.

Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:10 am

Seance wrote:A lot of the documentaries on NetFlix these days are four parts even if they could/should be just one.
And there isn't much in the way of inventiveness or creativity with the form. A lot of NetFlix documentaries
are on interesting and/or important subjects, but as documentaries they range from competent to shoddy.

Yeah I agree with this, so many that are overlong and decent but not great. Feels a bit like they're churned out.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion