What are you cooking?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you cooking?

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:57 pm

Much easier go of it today because of the pre-prep. Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, chives, and rosemary; green bean casserole with homemade mushroom cream stuff; roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic and thyme; bread dressing (not stuffing since not inserted in the bird) with the full Simon & Garfunkel parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and a little oregano; and for missus fission and the hound, roast turkey and giblet gravy. All the herbs but thyme and parsley from our little herb garden—the thyme died, so maybe we plan both in the spring.

Hope everyone under the Thanksgiving regime is enjoying or at least surviving the holiday.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:08 pm

Today on I'm snack duty for the Official Day, so I ain't cooking shit. I picked up some fancy cheeses, crackers, gherkins, and peppadews. On Saturday I will be roasting a 19.5 turkey for a crowd and getting jolly as heeeeell
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:52 am

Having some American friends round for thanksgiving tomorrow. Ordered a turkey (not super easy to find in Sweden) and the fucking shop didn't deliver it.
I might do chicken, or maybe turkey breast.
Links to killer stuffing/non-stuffed stuffing recipes are appreciated.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby friendship » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 pm

goroth wrote:Having some American friends round for thanksgiving tomorrow. Ordered a turkey (not super easy to find in Sweden) and the fucking shop didn't deliver it.
I might do chicken, or maybe turkey breast.
Links to killer stuffing/non-stuffed stuffing recipes are appreciated.

Dammit! Did they have an excuse? That's so thoughtful though, I'm sure your Americans appreciate your effort. I'll be tried in Guantanamo for saying this but chicken is a perfectly fine substitute, especially for a small group. To make it Thanksgiving-y, make a gravy using the same stuff as a turkey: drippings, wingtips, giblets, and neck, if your butcher includes them.

I've never mastered stuffing but I had a great one last night that used sage butter and some cornbread. I don't know the details but maybe that's a starting point because we all went apeshit for it.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:59 pm

I made a layered veggie enchilada casserole :thumb: i like to cook Mexican on thanksgiving :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am

Blackened Soul wrote:I made a layered veggie enchilada casserole :thumb: i like to cook Mexican on thanksgiving :idk:

I fuck with that.

So for the turkey, I took a friend's advice and broke down the bird into its parts before roasting. You don't get the Norman Rockwell presentation, but it was great for a few reasons 1) I only had to roast the parts of a 19-pounder for like an hour (!) 2) the breast meat did not get dried out at all 3) I was cooking at home to bring to a second location for dinner, so I was going to break down the bird into parts anyway--it was much easier to do raw than fresh out of the oven (and hot).

Big lesson learned though is that I need to get a proper chef's knife. I have this old Japanese vegetable knife that I use for everything and it was definitely not the tool for the job.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:55 pm

I bought a can of Campbell's condensed cream of asparagus soup and I have no idea what the fuck to do with it.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:04 am

friendship wrote:I bought a can of Campbell's condensed cream of asparagus soup and I have no idea what the fuck to do with it.

Add water & soup to pot, heat, add fresh cut asparagus tips n' stems, add grated parmigiano reggiano & fresh thyme, serve :snax:

Float proscuitto flowers on top 4 xxxtra credit, maybe a l'il squeezed lemon?

Apologies if this posted twice, ILF is dining on my posts 2 nite, Fernwood

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:07 am

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:32 am

oh helllll yeah
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:33 pm

highlights of last week's cooking
- asopao de pollo
- baked sausage and peirogi with plenty of sauerkraut
- straight up chef boyardee ravioli eaten cold directly from the can while playing video games
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 am

I roasted a lil 3 pound pork shoulder hunk last night, came out pretty okay! I also made beans with turkey stock I had in the freezer from Thanksgiving, but the stock ended up having a strong gamey flavor to it. I tried to balance it out with lemon juice but it is just overpowering. I'm going to try a bite tonight to see if time in the fridge improved it at all, but I have a feeling I'll need to toss it. I'm going to pan fry the pork tonight for tacos carnitas. Oh and I also made a quick salsa for it with charred jalapeño, green onion, and garlic smashed up with canned tomatoes, lime juice, and herbs/spices--it's the "table salsa" recipe in Joy of Cooking, it's pretty solid
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:20 pm

friendship wrote:I roasted a lil 3 pound pork shoulder hunk last night, came out pretty okay! I also made beans with turkey stock I had in the freezer from Thanksgiving, but the stock ended up having a strong gamey flavor to it. I tried to balance it out with lemon juice but it is just overpowering. I'm going to try a bite tonight to see if time in the fridge improved it at all, but I have a feeling I'll need to toss it.

Cranberry juice/dried cranberries may be the answer, but don't quote me on that :erm: I have some weird raspberry powder I got for the holidaze, so I'd try that if I were you and you had this powder instead of me :erm:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:56 pm

Brilliant! Haven't gotten the juice yet, but did make tacos carnitas on Monday and pozole on Tuesday, finishing off the last of the #meat. It's Chinese takeout tonight babayyyy
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:19 pm

Winter is my favorite cooking season, but I'd been unmotivated until a couple I know told me they're going to be producing a baby and when I asked how I could help, they suggested freezing some meals for them. So far I've made

- Garlicky heirloom red beans
- Italian sausage ragu with tomatoes and red wine
- Chicken & potato soup, with mirepoix and tomatoes

And I'm presently cooking canary/peruvian/mayacoba beans with charred tomatillos, jalapeños, and onions and also a can of corn. The ratio of corn to beans is a little higher than I was aiming for but it tastes pretty decent.

Next weekend I'm going to cook my once-a-year chili con carne, and another friend told me lasagna freezes well, so might give that a first shot.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion