It’s back from the dead! The TB Mega Thread.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: It’s back from the dead! The TB Mega Thread.

Postby cosmicevan » Sun May 15, 2022 10:44 pm

qersty wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:Taylor auctioned off a pedal to raise funds for the business was the premise. People bid it up in support of Iron Ether. It was still pretty shitty though

How? I found the auction and he was pretty transparent about it. Don't think it would raise prices as it was a custom job. I thought it was that he had sold it anonymously on ebay and it got leaked

oh no, he was open about it, it was publicly discussed in his pedal circles. It came on the heels of some ridiculously priced private reverb sales.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MSUsousaphone » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:30 pm

Can't let this baby slip to page 3.

Big bump with some juicy thump.
MSUsousaphone

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:53 pm

What's cool with bass players nowadays? Maybe I'm terminally removed from the zeitgeist but I feel like I haven't heard a new name or piece of gear in ages.

Maybe that's because my setup for bass has been pretty static, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:38 pm

:idk:

Alan uploaded this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzEyRYgTmnE

:love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:23 pm

is this a human gear clone?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:49 pm

:|:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:16 pm

D.o.S. wrote:What's cool with bass players nowadays?

Not TB...they finally decided to ban me because I got mad that someone screwed me over on a deal by backing out last second after I took off work to drive 6 hours and sold gear to fund the transaction. The deal breaker was I wanted a phone number before I drove up to 3.5 hours one way to be able to stay in contact. I was needlessly pissed off and took to the forum to alert the community about this clown and then they banned me.

In the world of bass specific gear, coolest stuff has been coming out of Damnation Audio who just released the MBD3 which is a tamer version of the MBD2 with a boost function to get 2 great sounds. They also made a crazy pedal called the Dirt Fixer which is like a distortion preamp and all around utility pedal. I have the MBD3, but not the dirt fixer (yet). I'm a big fan of Broughton Audio and he put out a smaller version of his messenger pre-amp.

Other than that, not much of interest that's bass specific to me.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:32 pm

I am now posting in this thread no longer owning a bass

:hello:
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:03 pm

MaxMaps wrote:I am now posting in this thread no longer owning a bass

:hello:

Reported!!!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:10 pm

and conversely i'm starting to post here because i'm working on getting a bass setup together. i got a Squier Mustang bass back in July but haven't done much with it because my guitar amps just don't have it going on down that low. so my first question is, recommend me a small-ish SS bass head that's less than $500? i probably don't need massive wattage, but headroom would be good. the bass rig will also be used as part of a bi-amp setup for looping. i'm mostly looking for clarity...i can add character with a preamp or pedal or something. i'll be running a single 15" cabinet, probably with an old all-aluminum Hartke speaker.

second question: what's a brand/model of roundwound (or ground/half-round strings though i'd prefer full rounds) that isn't so zingy it makes me sound like Mike Gordon in the high end? i'd like the clarity of the note attack especially with a pick, but as some of you will have read i'm pretty old-school in my approach to bass. i basically don't believe in treble content in bass, and think 10" speakers (or 8s, god forbid) have ruined 21st century bass sound. my hero is Jack Casady (who apparently has been using a stash of Framus-branded Maxima bass strings for years), but i'll generally be playing in a more restrained style. a lot of the SF 60s bassists, e.g. Phil Lesh, used roundwounds without getting click attack. i know there's some variation by brand because i got Ernie Ball flats for my fretless Jazz Bass (which needs its neck straightened because the truss rod has topped out) which were so bright that they may as well have been rounds. so what's the opposite of that: darker-sounding roundwounds? let me reiterate that these need to be short-scale strings to fit a Mustang Bass.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:22 pm

dubkitty wrote:and conversely i'm starting to post here because i'm working on getting a bass setup together. i got a Squier Mustang bass back in July but haven't done much with it because my guitar amps just don't have it going on down that low. so my first question is, recommend me a small-ish SS bass head that's less than $500? i probably don't need massive wattage, but headroom would be good. the bass rig will also be used as part of a bi-amp setup for looping. i'm mostly looking for clarity...i can add character with a preamp or pedal or something. i'll be running a single 15" cabinet, probably with an old all-aluminum Hartke speaker.

second question: what's a brand/model of roundwound (or ground/half-round strings though i'd prefer full rounds) that isn't so zingy it makes me sound like Mike Gordon in the high end? i'd like the clarity of the note attack especially with a pick, but as some of you will have read i'm pretty old-school in my approach to bass. i basically don't believe in treble content in bass, and think 10" speakers (or 8s, god forbid) have ruined 21st century bass sound. my hero is Jack Casady (who apparently has been using a stash of Framus-branded Maxima bass strings for years), but i'll generally be playing in a more restrained style. a lot of the SF 60s bassists, e.g. Phil Lesh, used roundwounds without getting click attack. i know there's some variation by brand because i got Ernie Ball flats for my fretless Jazz Bass (which needs its neck straightened because the truss rod has topped out) which were so bright that they may as well have been rounds. so what's the opposite of that: darker-sounding roundwounds? let me reiterate that these need to be short-scale strings to fit a Mustang Bass.

Back 20-ish years ago when I was gigging the Ampeg B2R is a solid bass head that can be had / found around 350.00 ish - I never had a complaint that I wasn't loud enough, had a EQ ( even though at the time I didn't know what I was doing) and Ampeg SS gear was just as clear as Hartkie or anything else I have tried.

DR Roundwounds might be the string of choice for what you are looking for - however I never ventured out of the STD EB Slinky sets. :P
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:23 pm

dubkitty wrote:and conversely i'm starting to post here because i'm working on getting a bass setup together. i got a Squier Mustang bass back in July but haven't done much with it because my guitar amps just don't have it going on down that low. so my first question is, recommend me a small-ish SS bass head that's less than $500? i probably don't need massive wattage, but headroom would be good. the bass rig will also be used as part of a bi-amp setup for looping. i'm mostly looking for clarity...i can add character with a preamp or pedal or something. i'll be running a single 15" cabinet, probably with an old all-aluminum Hartke speaker.

1. Phil Jones Bass. If you want just a head, check out the PB200 - I've seen them go used for mid 2's.

2. I haven't tried all the strings, but I use D'Addadio's usually and then never change them. Or maybe it was Super Slinky's? If I was to go out and buy strings, I'd probably give String Joy a try...but again, I'm not a good guy to ask about strings as I am one of those never change em kinda guys.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MSUsousaphone » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:27 pm

Before having six kids, I was running a massive Mesa Boogie head with all kinds of tubes and two fEARFUL cabs. Now, I just have a Tecamp Puma. It is super small and powerful. Love that guy.
MSUsousaphone

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:25 pm

looking at Reverb for affordable (-$350) bass heads and several come up regularly that look plausible. anyone here have knowledge or input on any of these?:

--Hartke HA3500--this is bulky but has a lot of positives including a choice of tube or ss preamps. downside other than size is apparently that the fan is ungodly noisy when you're in a relatively quiet space. i'm getting an all-aluminum Transent Attack 15" so i wonder if a Hartke head would be good with it?
--Ampeg PF-350 Portaflex (and other Ampeg units)
--TC Electronics 250 (there's a couple of different ones)
--various Ashdown models
--SWR Workingman's (and other SWR models)
--Trace Elliot Elf
--Warwick Gnome

then there's all kinds of old shit like Gibson Lab L4 heads and weird Acoustic units. does anybody have any input on any of these? i have no idea where the fuck i'm going here, and i'd rather be caned than ask r/bass. let me reiterate that this will be used as the low-end part of a biamped setup for my loopers with a 15" speaker, so i'm looking for clean and reasonably loud. not looking for rawk bass at all, looking for hi-fi.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:37 pm

dubkitty wrote:looking at Reverb for affordable (-$350) bass heads and several come up regularly that look plausible. anyone here have knowledge or input on any of these?:

--Hartke HA3500--this is bulky but has a lot of positives including a choice of tube or ss preamps. downside other than size is apparently that the fan is ungodly noisy when you're in a relatively quiet space. i'm getting an all-aluminum Transent Attack 15" so i wonder if a Hartke head would be good with it?
--Ampeg PF-350 Portaflex (and other Ampeg units)
--TC Electronics 250 (there's a couple of different ones)
--various Ashdown models
--SWR Workingman's (and other SWR models)
--Trace Elliot Elf
--Warwick Gnome

then there's all kinds of old shit like Gibson Lab L4 heads and weird Acoustic units. does anybody have any input on any of these? i have no idea where the fuck i'm going here, and i'd rather be caned than ask r/bass. let me reiterate that this will be used as the low-end part of a biamped setup for my loopers with a 15" speaker, so i'm looking for clean and reasonably loud. not looking for rawk bass at all, looking for hi-fi.

If Hi Fi is the sound you want I would go with a solid state powered Ampeg - out of everything listed Ampeg amps have never let me down and are build like brick shit houses.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:

MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion