BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Moderator: Pladask

Re: BAKVENDT - ILF Reverse Delay Thing!

Postby gila_crisis » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:04 am

cosmicevan wrote:The ability to toggle octaves without clearing the buffer is phenomenal. It's a knob tweakers dream. Gotta keep in mind that I cannot toggle the fwd/rev or it wipes the buffer, but it is so great being able to sample and hold something, tweak it, then release it into feedback and build more ambience. It's a homerun!

Stunning too

I envy you ^^ those switches are for sure a game changes. I have and love Bakfram, but looking forward to upgrade to Baklengs ASAP!
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 pm

Ended up swapping my extra for a BAKVENDT and the BAKVENDT arrived today and as soon as I got the kiddies to bed I pulled out all three.

I'm really glad I made the trade. I was a bit hesitant since it seemed to happen so fast and I knew that each was an "improvement" on the general concept and I'd already gotten a chance to check out the BAKFRAM and the BAKLENGS. I find the BAKLENGS to be a MASSIVE improvement to the BAKFRAM. Changing modes on the BAKFRAM is really a deal breaker for me. To me, this is not a set it and forget it kind of pedal, this is a pedal you tweak constantly and even "play the pedal" so to speak. BAKFRAM is an ambient machine, but the workflow is clunky. BAKLENGS fixed the workflow issues and enhanced things by giving you a dedicated control for the 2ndary switch (that can be toggled without losing your buffer!!!). The tones are reasonably similar from BAKFRAM to BAKLENGS, but BAKLENGS is just the correct way to do it.

That said, there's this interesting paradox in the universe where bands release their best stuff early on and vintage gear sounds "better" than modern stuff...well this series is no different. There's a certain magic that BAKVENDT has that is lost on the BAKFRAM and never returns in the BAKLENGS. There's a really rich swooshiness to the reverse aspect on the BAKVENDT. BAKVENDT is really more of a reverse delay thingie whereas BAKFRAM is an ambient machine and BAKLENGS is an instrument unto itself. SUPER HAPPY with this trade. Big thanks to @freqhaus for the no-nonsense, super speedy swap!!!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:31 am

out of curiosity I did a check on reverb.... there are 3 Baklengs secondhand/likenew... for about 500usd and few Bakframs at 400-500usd.... that's almost double the price you get a NEW one directly from Knut!
PEOPLE ARE FREAKING MAD!!!!!! :picard: :barf:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Pladask » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:20 am

cosmicevan wrote:Ended up swapping my extra for a BAKVENDT and the BAKVENDT arrived today and as soon as I got the kiddies to bed I pulled out all three.

I'm really glad I made the trade. I was a bit hesitant since it seemed to happen so fast and I knew that each was an "improvement" on the general concept and I'd already gotten a chance to check out the BAKFRAM and the BAKLENGS. I find the BAKLENGS to be a MASSIVE improvement to the BAKFRAM. Changing modes on the BAKFRAM is really a deal breaker for me. To me, this is not a set it and forget it kind of pedal, this is a pedal you tweak constantly and even "play the pedal" so to speak. BAKFRAM is an ambient machine, but the workflow is clunky. BAKLENGS fixed the workflow issues and enhanced things by giving you a dedicated control for the 2ndary switch (that can be toggled without losing your buffer!!!). The tones are reasonably similar from BAKFRAM to BAKLENGS, but BAKLENGS is just the correct way to do it.

That said, there's this interesting paradox in the universe where bands release their best stuff early on and vintage gear sounds "better" than modern stuff...well this series is no different. There's a certain magic that BAKVENDT has that is lost on the BAKFRAM and never returns in the BAKLENGS. There's a really rich swooshiness to the reverse aspect on the BAKVENDT. BAKVENDT is really more of a reverse delay thingie whereas BAKFRAM is an ambient machine and BAKLENGS is an instrument unto itself. SUPER HAPPY with this trade. Big thanks to @freqhaus for the no-nonsense, super speedy swap!!!

Thanks for the writeup! Interesting to read how differently these are perceived. Very happy with how this project evolved. Tempted to start work on another batch this winter but we'll see how it goes. There are so many new projects and restocks I wanna do but the workload is getting quite overwhelming these days.

Fun that you find the Bakvendt to have old-gear mojo. Maybe I should make another batch of those, pre-age them and sell them under pseudonyms on eBay for 5000 $ ;)
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:49 am

Pladask wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:Ended up swapping my extra for a BAKVENDT and the BAKVENDT arrived today and as soon as I got the kiddies to bed I pulled out all three.

Thanks for the writeup! Interesting to read how differently these are perceived. Very happy with how this project evolved. Tempted to start work on another batch this winter but we'll see how it goes. There are so many new projects and restocks I wanna do but the workload is getting quite overwhelming these days.

Fun that you find the Bakvendt to have old-gear mojo. Maybe I should make another batch of those, pre-age them and sell them under pseudonyms on eBay for 5000 $ ;)

Really fun to compare them...they each have their own charm. BAKLENGS is awesome though. Really loving it. Some day I'll make it out to a FORM workshop. I'm working on my first DIY fuzz right now :)
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Still have a few of these leftover that didn't end up on the website

Update: Sold out for now. I've already ordered materials for another big batch that I'll make available through several restocks in the first half of 2022.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 am

Pladask wrote:Still have a few of these leftover that didn't end up on the website

Again a big thank you, Knut!
Looking forward to drone with Baklengs! :!!!:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby escarbian » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 am

Very cool collection! Gratulations :thumb: :thumb:
These Bakvendts are extremely rare. :drool:
But I am very grateful that I was lucky to buy a Baklengs after about 30 minutes of "database error" notifications at checkout. :p
The Baklengs is such an intuitive and sonically inspiring pedal, I love it. :love:

~ my pedalboard is my instrument ~
escarbian

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Seance » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 pm

cosmicevan wrote:Ended up swapping my extra BAKVENDT for a BAKVENDTFORTH! Now with BAKFRENS & BAKFAMOLEE trade discount!

This comparison is of interest and interesting. Only thing better would be some clips to douse my senses in.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 am

There it is, my Baklengs in the mailbox! :!!!:
Looking forward to drone with it, when I'll be back home in 2 weeks. :animal:
Untitled.png
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:19 pm

Seance wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:Ended up swapping my extra BAKVENDT for a BAKVENDTFORTH! Now with BAKFRENS & BAKFAMOLEE trade discount!

This comparison is of interest and interesting. Only thing better would be some clips to douse my senses in.

Clips can be arranged.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:29 am

I put together a little video comparing Bakvendt, Bakfram and Baklengs:
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:I put together a little video comparing Bakvendt, Bakfram and Baklengs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ke1h6eEqo8

Nice! Thanks.

That's a depth dive of iterative differentials.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 am

Finally I'm back home and I was able to play with the Baklengs! Of course did a side-by-side comparison with Bakfram.
First thanks you a lot Knut, for sharing here the info you had few more of these available for ILF after the first batch got sold out!

First impressions: I love both, but Baklengs does have few features I was hoping the Bakfram would have: first (like Fabrikat does) the possibility to have closed loop on the infinity switch (which now allows to use the pedal as a "proper" looper), as well as to be able to max the feedback on the fully ccw degenerative position, very cool indeed for instant self-destructive runaways!
In general, all the switches are the greatest update ever, as now you can easily switch direction, octave, and infinity modus!

Very first impression was both are very alike and can cover same grounds, but in depth experiments revealed few different nuances.
Mod: Bakfram modulation is more lofi, and adds a lot more crackle and noise, while on Baklengs beside introducing a bit of noise, Mod is more like you would expect from a tape wow/flutter, it's a much more mellow and vibrato style modulation.
Degenerative Feedback: Bakfram is more gentle, with the control maxed the degenerative side effect is "stubble" and won't go into self oscillation, while Baklengs can self-oscillate and be more aggressive, which I think is a great improvement, or expansion of this feature!
The delay/clock time seams to be tailored a bit differently: max clock and delay time seam to me to have the same length, while on the minum setting Bakfram gets more close to zero than Baklengs. This means that with Baklengs I can't recreate those super cool flanger/overdrive/filtering sounds Bakfram does (set like this: forward delay, no octaves, delay time at zero, fastest clock, feedback maxed out on the degenerative side, Mod how much you like).
Mix: Bakfram's Clock has some influence on the dry sound audio quality! Which is actually a cool shaping tool to filter also the clean dry sound (the slower CCW clock position, the darker the tone), while on Baklengs the Dry sound pass thru 1:1 as the original input sound, with no colouration happening.

Of course another main difference: Bakfram has the octave UP & DOWN, while Baklengs offers this super cool random back/forward option!

This said both pedals are amazing! Before trying both side by side, I was wondering to sell the Bakfram and keep only Baklengs, but... both are keepers!
As somebody else already pointed out here, each iteration this family has its own character. Plus you can get some wonderful texture when running one into the other.

Once again thank you Knut/Pladask: it's another great one you released!

Untitled.png
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 am

Here few Baklengs drones for your listening (un)pleasure:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Pladask Elektrisk