The Virus - Mutated Overfuzz

Moderator: Jero

The Virus - Mutated Overfuzz

Postby Jero » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:18 pm

I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The Virus

Postby Jero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:10 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Tfw learning you are a type 2 fuzz personality :animal:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 pm

:sick: Is there any treatment for The Virus? :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:21 pm

rustywire wrote:Tfw learning you are a type 2 fuzz personality :animal:

Does that mean you didn't like it? Cause that was set on type 1 :(

Chankgeez wrote::sick: Is there any treatment for The Virus? :love:

More Cowbell?
...I mean more Virus
:)

More clips coming! Hopefully a video instead.
Was editing a video for the Haxan today, and I think I'm just going to have to re-shoot it, so I might just do both in one.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Love the look of those veros!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Jero wrote:

Nah it means your OP description hit a lil close to home :lol:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Love the look of those veros!

:thumb: thanks! I just got tired of that boring tan color :snax:

rustywire wrote:
Jero wrote:

Nah it means your OP description hit a lil close to home :lol:

I sent this one off for some others to play with, but got this brief clip...
Type 2 with the gain around 2 o'clock the whole time. I change the bias from low to high around the half way point.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Too 90's?

...not 90's enough?

I've heard this thing is pretty cool on bass

:)

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 am

Do want.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby rustywire » Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 am

Yeah, that'll do :love:
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

goroth wrote:Do want.

rustywire wrote:Yeah, that'll do :love:

:thumb: Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in pricing and getting stuff up. That will be done soon.
Also working on fancy artwork, though I can do the current hand finishing or stamping still ;)

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue May 15, 2018 3:53 pm

Dude, the finish in that vid is crazy nice.

How do you propose on improving this?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm

goroth wrote:Dude, the finish in that vid is crazy nice.

How do you propose on improving this?

:joy:

Hopefully jrmy will be able to help me answer that soon :cool:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am

So, Virus...phwoar! :!!!:

:wizard:

I'm going to restrain myself from Uncle Hipster cornball cowbell comments about fever/more virus, but I won't be able to restrain myself from a bit of textwalling on this critter....

To start with, this is Jero's joint from the ground up--that much is obvious from one look at the guts. Furthermore, this is a fully ILFian thing--it goes places and does things your granpappy's fuzz was woolgathering about in Sunday school when it was supposed to be on the lookout for Satan and his minions.

Now, it's not a full on howler, but it does speak in tongues. On the milder bias setting in Type 1 mode, with a standard gitfiddle, it comes on like a MKI Tonebender with all of the gate and spit, which is absolutely adorable and forever useful. Plenty of gain and volume here. Granpappy's fuzz would definitely approve, but Virus isn't emotionally needy--it knows it is temperature stable and built to travel regions and climes grandpappy's fuzz can't handle.

This is the mode for bass whompasauri. I rode it all night at my most recent gig, and at standard 4 string tuning with crazy hot 8Ts Ibanez humbuckers there is ample lowdown and everything from crisp ratty edge to synthibloom on tap, and none of the settings make the girth go poof. :summon:

Type 2 mode reserves its charms more for the upper frequencies in my experience, and I also found bias selection less overtly influential on tonal outcome with bass. So far, though, just for the one mode, on bass, I already want my own Virus. :joy: :excellent:

With Type 2 mode selected and standard tuned guitar in line, things start to ramble the (st)range....
Rolling the guitar volume back in this mode makes this incredible whoosh that I want to rig up somehow to an expression pedal--never played another fuzz that does it. All of the cranky, oddball little overtones when rolling back the volume are just so satisfying--much more fun than the patented Hendrix-fuzzface-treble-zazzzTM trick. :joy: :joy: :joy:

About the bias switch--the differences between bias settings are much more apparent in Type 2 mode, and the more extreme bias setting ups the ante on fuzzy attack and artifacts in such a satisfying way that it is a possible candidate for a second stomp switch. Kick it in and things get edgier: things back up or they get cut. Attack starts to smear out, and as the gain goes up, especially when the guitar's volume is rolled back a ways, this slightly coy, babbling squeal starts to edge in, which I like because it just pokes the listener a little and reminds them that chaos could take over any moment...but it never quite does.

With the right settings on gain and bias you can also coax some beautiful octave up sounds out of the Virus. Pushing with a boost can, up to a point, result in a purer, more stable upper octave, but push a little harder and chaos will reign. The chaos is more swash-like than fuzz factory-esque, and when pushed by another fuzz (or anything supplying both clipping and gain at the Virus' input), things start to get quite reminiscent of the justly coveted HEQ-1. :animal:

I have a tiny MKI Tonebender build that does a similar kind of burbling, cackling mumblesqueal, just a slight touch less in control than the un-pushed Virus, and the guy who sold it to me told me it needed to be behind a buffer. That got me thinking. :trippy:

Rather than bust out an actual buffer to test my brainwave because fml :facepalm: , I set up the Haxan to act as much like a buffer as possible (gain way down, LED clipping, volume up to reach unity) and slapped it in front of the Virus, and sure enough the squeal was gone. It also tightened the Virus up, pumped the gain and got rid of the splat--with a little tweaking it was metal mayhem; kinda HM-2ish actually. Had a great time gettin' shreddy for a while, but soon enough I went back to the strangeways the Virus brings on its own and put it back where it belongs, at the head of the chain (another one of the few commonalities Virus deigns to share with granpappy's fuzz).

Actually, it's been so easy to get lost in the well of sounds produced by just the Virus and some different inputs, I still haven't gotten to some of my usual fuzz moves like starving it or running it into various filters. I did get in a great grimy droney sesh with Chankgeez recently :omg: during which I ran my lapsteel through the Virus, and that was fantastic--long vibratoed notes through Virus fit in so perfectly with all the droning wash. :success: I always find that lapsteels bring out unique character in fuzzes--something about all that metal on heavy gauge metal strings, it just cuts through even the spongiest fuzz, and the slower than usual note decay lets you coax out and prolong all the vocal and other more oddball qualities of a fuzz' decay envelope...and the Virus is no different in that regard; it was the perfect companion to grimy drone :yay:

:idea: hmmm, been a while since I put a steel bar on one of my basses :snax:

Welp, that concludes today's textwall transmission. The only thing I'm concerned with now is what kind of enclosure magick will be necessary to do the Virus justice :snax: :poke: :hug:

Great job on this one Jero :hello:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Stomping Stones