De Sade Fuzz (my Tone Bender Mk1)

Moderator: facelessfx

De Sade Fuzz (my Tone Bender Mk1)

Postby facelessfx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Woah there! The Marquis is now the De Sade Fuzz! Still the same beast inside (both the enclosure and your ears) but I now have the enclosures powder coated and the graphic printed with some sort of magically cured raised ink,
all by local companies in the UK.

Scrupulously auditioned NOS (Copenacre secret stash) Mil-spec transistors and carbon comps in every one, built on tagboard.

Website coming as soon as I can decide whether it should be black or pink themed.

JustNick demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6_Om0D9Ks

Very small batches. First batch is almost sold out at Joe' s Pedals as I type this.

I'll likely only do 10 of each colour scheme, and decide the next colour scheme when the previous batch is built. There are red (8 in the wild) and yellow (10) so far. Yes, there will be pink (eventually), (most likely) teal, (possibly but not probably) baby blue, and (almost certainly) void-of-existential-anguish black. There will never be orange. Ever.

Click here to buy in the UK and Europe

More dealers to come...

About:

The Marquis De Sade Fuzz is my take on the Mk1 Tone Bender. It's my "standardised" version, based on years of tweaking the circuit and learning right transistor spec recipe.

Copied from facelessfx.co.uk :

The De Sade Fuzz is an old school fuzz box based on the first version Tone Bender, commonly known as the MkI or Mk1.

This germanium fuzz produces a sound rich in harmonics and upper mid frequency punch, giving a fantastic, cutting push.

The 'Sore' and 'Soar' controls are highly interactive, allowing you to get sounds from gated, velcro splutter, up to a sustaining, powerful kick in the guts that will not get lost in the mix.

While based on a 50 year old vintage design, the Marquis benefits from some new enhancements. Using NPN germanium transistors in a modern style negative ground circuit means it plays nice with your other pedals and any 9V (Boss™ style) power supply. Use of shielded cable, RF and power filtering, and individually tested and auditioned transistors ensures a minimum of idle noise. These really are surprisingly quiet when idling.

The De Sade Fuzz:
- Based on the venerable Tone Bender MkI
- Sounds from gated velcro splatter, to "Satisfaction" buzz, right up to soaring full-bodied singing, sustaining fuzz
- Cuts through in any mix - this sound will not get lost
- Uses three hand picked and tested NOS germanium transistors - usually a trio of Mil spec CV7351 and/or Mullard/Philips OC141
- True bypass
- Power from 9V battery or Boss™ style centre negative power supply
- Can be daisy chained with modern pedals

Controls:
'More' control dictates the output level, or volume of the pedal.
'Sore' controls the amount of sizzle and sustain.
'Soar' control is similar to the MkI Tone Bender's 'Attack' control. Dial this down as well as your guitar's volume control for a more gated, splatty fuzz. Very Satisfaction. Dial up for a more full and rich fuzz.

Review from Pedal of the Day: http://www.pedal-of-the-day.com/2015/05 ... quis-fuzz/

Click here to buy in the UK and Europe

Click here to buy in Australia
Last edited by facelessfx on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Shark Tank:

viewforum.php?f=264
facelessfx

involved
involved

Re: Marquis Fuzz (my Tone Bender Mk1)

Postby facelessfx » Fri May 15, 2015 5:26 pm

A tune from the wonderful David Torn using the Marquis Fuzz:

https://soundcloud.com/jayapala/lit-pale
My Shark Tank:

viewforum.php?f=264
facelessfx

involved
involved

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 15, 2015 6:06 pm

facelessfx wrote:A tune from the wonderful David Torn using the Marquis Fuzz:

Sounds great, Tim, as do all of Mr. Torn's tunes.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby facelessfx » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 pm

A demo from the great JustNick:

My Shark Tank:

viewforum.php?f=264
facelessfx

involved
involved

Re: De Sade Fuzz (my Tone Bender Mk1)

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Damn, that Marquis/DeSade sounds fantastic--it's making me eye my 2010 all-bias-out Fuzzfaceless Mk1 kinda funny-like.... :erm: :love: :idk:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby facelessfx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Dandolin wrote:Damn, that Marquis/DeSade sounds fantastic--it's making me eye my 2010 all-bias-out Fuzzfaceless Mk1 kinda funny-like.... :erm: :love: :idk:

I've got one left :p Last ones for a while. Red. :hello: tim@facelessfx.co.uk
My Shark Tank:

viewforum.php?f=264
facelessfx

involved
involved

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 pm

ooh
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm

:lol: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

#ILoveFurry
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:49 pm

facelessfx wrote:
Dandolin wrote:Damn, that Marquis/DeSade sounds fantastic--it's making me eye my 2010 all-bias-out Fuzzfaceless Mk1 kinda funny-like.... :erm: :love: :idk:

I've got one left :p Last ones for a while. Red. :hello: tim@facelessfx.co.uk

so, i did eventually get a DeSade direct from Tim, and it was more awesome than I had hoped.

RIP, man :( :no: :cry: eternally grateful :hug:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:57 pm

:cry:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to faceless fx