Steinberg have made the first ever 32bit audio interfaces.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Steinberg have made the first ever 32bit audio interface

Postby Thylacine Dream » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:41 pm

I think this has all been pretty productive. Lol.
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
@punkcrushband @painbehavior @queeraspunk @puzzytuesday
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Postby Woolworm » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:11 pm

frodog wrote:I thought it was bats, but apparently dolphins/porpoises: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

Got Woolworm pegged now, he first appeared as a Deafheaven white knight so now the once-a-year bizarre takes and subsequent dips kinda make sense.

What does having me pegged mean. Also even though deafheaven's last album was complete trash, low rate bad post rock, I'll forever defend their mixing of genres and I dunno why all yall be influenced by black metal puritan dorks.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Well I shouldn't say pegged, I don't really know anything about you except you came in years ago to argue some obtuse angle and then disappeared. And now you're doing the same thing. Which, you know, is fine but I don't know what you're trying to achieve except being weird and then just dip.

I don't really care about black metal (although I am Norwegian and know some shit about the scene), but definitely don't care abt Deafheaven in the least.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:51 am

But will Sunbather still sound like trash in 32bit?

Someone needs to ask the real questions here.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:51 am

:lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Woolworm » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am

D.o.S. wrote:But will Sunbather still sound like trash in 32bit?

Someone needs to ask the real questions here.

If the file is clipping, in 32bit it would sound better but if you listen to the record it isn't so it wouldnt. Im pretty sure we've established this if you read this thread so your joke is a fail.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:23 am

But I found it funny, so it can't have failed. :zen: :animal:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Schlatte » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:07 am

Woolworm wrote:So the UR-C series have 32bit recording and the prices are cheap as hell, same as Scarletts. Their high end audio interface, the AXS, not only has 32bit but at 384k sampling rate.

Now I know a lot of you are probably rolling your eyes but Ill explain why you would maybe want these things. The second reason is a bit dumb but philosophically smart. The first is more of what type of recording you do.

So, I am on the forum of I love fuzz. I imagine a lot of you play loud music. Having a 32bit audio interface means whilst recording, the fear of clipping becomes less of a problem and you'll be less likely to turn down the gain of your mics, and for me it is all about capturing the actual sound that is there live. I want the mics as is, no cuts, no boosts. Also you can record ungodly SPL's like lightning or earthquakes close up not just far away, ofcourse you would also need a mic that can withstand that amount of pressure. Would a normal dynamic mic be able to handle it?

Now for the 384k sampling rate. Now yes you can't really tell a difference between the sampling rates. However, its all about seeing into the future. Just because you can't hear the frequencies doesnt mean they aren't there. Think about hundreds of thousands of years from now when humans have evolved where we can hear those frequencies. All the music from the past would be nion obselete cos all we did was just cut those frequencies. Its about preserving your music for as far into the future as possible. I am not trolling. I am 100% serious. The only annoying thing a DAW prolly cuts off at 192k for now lol but the AXS is expensive anyway but Im defo gonna pick up a UR-C. Its so cheap and at 32bit? Are you serious? The preamps are prolly dope as well, better than a scarlett definitely.

Just to clear something up - moar bits resolution does not mean less clipping!
That would be like saying if you change your PCs screen resolution from 800x600 to Full HD 1920x1080 your screen gets bigger... that is not the case!
Like on your PCs screen, the resolution only affects the sampling quality of the signal, not the dynamic range. If it is clipping or not is only depending on the input stage of the Analog-to-Digital Converter in the interface. This Converter can only sample signals within its input voltage range, everything above or below that range is clipped.
The resolution (12bit, 16bit, 24bit, 32bit) now only determines in how many steps this input voltage range is divided (like I said before - the resolution of the signal). If you have a 12bit converter for example, the input voltage range of the Analog-to-digital converter is divided into 2048 steps. So if the input voltage range is for example 10V, the smallest difference in input signal you can differentiate is 10V/2048 steps = 4.88mV. Changes in input signal, that are smaller than those 4.88mV cannot be detected and are therefore lost. Lets go to 16bit resolution, where the 10V input voltage range would be divided into 65536 steps, so 10V/65536 = 0.153mV = 153µV. So with 16bit converters, changes of 153µV in the input signal could be detected, meaning much higher resolution!
Still, both converters can only accept (in our example) 0-10V input voltage. No matter the resolution, everything above or below this voltage range is clipped (= not sampled).
What is equally, if not more important, is how fast the sampling happens (sampling frequency). This determines how acurately the signal can be rebuilt in the digital realm and then also transfered back to the analog world. To successfully (and as lossless as possible) convert an analog signal to digital and back, the sampling frequency must be greater than twice the maximum occuring frequency in your input signal. If we take the current human limit of hearing frequency of ~20kHz, the sampling frequency of the Analog-to-digital converter in your interface must be >40kHz - does some value in that range seem familiar (44.1kHz for CDs)?
Now as it was noted earlier in this thread, the full music experience isn't limited to hearing, but also feeling certain frequencies. Since Overtones and harmonics can extend beyont the hearable range, higher sampling frequencies might be able to catch more "depth" and "feel" of the sampled signals by getting a wider frequency range.
At the end, just one thought to memory usage - keep in mind that every sample must be saved on the Computer/Recorder that you are using. As you can imagine, the more samples you get, the more memory it takes. That is also the case for the resolution of the Converter... a 12bit sample takes less space than a 16bit sample - and that takes a lot less space than a 32bit sample. And the higher the sampling frequency, the more samples you get! So if you increase the resolution and the sampling frequency, you have to take care that you can actually transmit the resulting amount of data to a PC and save it fast enough to not cause lag or data loss/corruption.
Good Deals with: All these fine people!

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:13 am

Our reptile overlords disapprove of your crappy earthling “science” Mr Schlatte.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Schlatte » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:21 am

goroth wrote:Our reptile overlords disapprove of your crappy earthling “science” Mr Schlatte.

I am sorry. The earth is of course flat and I would like to increase my headroom with more of those bits everyone is talking about. :trippy:
Good Deals with: All these fine people!

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 am

SQUARE WAVE EARTH

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Has anyone procured one for a round of abuse yet?

Ignoring the top end, I want to know how well it captures the dynamic thud of all my gear popping a circuit breaker and simultaneously shutting down in mid record.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby wafl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Having higher bitrate ie >44.1khz isnt about adding more space for frequencies that we can hear, it actually helps keep the phase relationship of eqs consistent as you get to the max frequency of the system.

That said I also want aliens to enjoy my music so I gotta get all those frequencies
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:46 pm

I think this video explains it pretty good actually

wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby Woolworm » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 pm

wafl wrote:I think this video explains it pretty good actually