Getting high quality Jam recordings

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Getting high quality Jam recordings

Postby bigbadbeach » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:46 am

Hey fuzz lords. My band is currently working on recording and album. But we have a few songs that have some very odd tempo changes. We can jam the songs as a band no problem because we can all watch each other so the tempo changes are easy, but when we do solo takes of our instruments we just lose the magic...
Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to get high quality Jam recordings ?
Our room is treated and has long shag rug. We get excellent recording in this room. But getting really good jam takes is tough because we all have to play at very loud volumes to compete with the drums, and we get alot of the other instruments in each other's mics...
I'm just looking to clear up our recordings a bit so they sounds cleaner, if that possible in a jam. Any feedback would help! Cheers!
Destroy My Brains on Facebook Facebook.com/DMBDESTROYMYBRAINS
bigbadbeach

interested
interested

Re: Getting high quality Jam recordings

Postby crochambeau » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:56 am

Find a place in the room someone can sit and hear a well balanced representation of the entire band.

Stick a binaural or XY pair there and then spot mic instruments to taste.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:31 am

Alternatively, do a rough recording of the jam as a scratch take, then re-record by doing individual tracking over the scratch tracks to get your isolated sounds.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:49 am

Point all amps away from the drum set and also try to isolate the amps as much as possible(use blankets/tables/chairs/guitar cases/unused amps/etc.
Mic everything.

A little bleed is hard to avoid, if it is a "live" sound you are going for, it would probably be OK.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording