Kawai R-50e Battery replacement question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Kawai R-50e Battery replacement question

Postby Confuzzled » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:15 pm

battery1.jpg
battery1.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Hi all,

I have an old Kwai R-50e, the button cell battery is most likely shot and I need to replace it which usually isn't a problem with most older gear (my boss SE-50 was a breeze), but this fucker is not coming out. Is there the possibility that they soldered the battery to the top clip. My eyes suck so I tried to take a few pics but it didn't help and trying to find info on these old units is super hard. Here are the pics. Does anyone have a clue? Because I sure as shit do not.
Attachments
battery2.jpg
battery2.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Re: Kawai R-50e Battery replacement question

Postby Confuzzled » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:19 pm

ugh, I found an old reddit thread on it. The battery itself has 2 solder points. FML no I have to order the damn battery.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:34 pm

Those batteries are sold with the legs attached, they are spot welded at the factory - it's possible to solder legs onto a battery, but the heat involved will tend to reduce battery life.

These days I prefer to solder in a battery holder, then feed that a bog standard CR2032 every now and then.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:04 pm

Yep, what crochambeau said. I just de-soldered a battery like this from an Ensoniq SQ1 and installed a battery holder. I would go with that because those batteries usually only work for around 15 years, and you don't want to perform this operation twice and risk heat damaging things. Thankfully removing the board from a drum machine should be way easier than a synth. Good luck!
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording