· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Guitar tech, wiring, maintenance, projects, SOS calls, and more!
Post a reply

Anyone had hardware CNC milled to spec?

Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:16 am

I’m starting to contemplate getting a custom milled fixed headless bridge to replace the R-Trem in my Korean Steinberger, but I’m wondering if this is a stupid and expensive idea. Anyone had anything like this done?

Re: Anyone had hardware CNC milled to spec?

Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Probably not super feasible or cost effective. CNC operator will need exact mechanical drawings of all of the parts of the bridge in a digital format that the machine can use. The effort and the cost will outpace buying a replacement part pretty quickly I gotta think. Would this one work?

https://reverb.com/item/63053815-steinb ... -90s-black

Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 pm

That’s not the part. The only direct-ish replacements are the truly craptacular Overlord of Music branded poorly executed copy that is absolute garbage on its own terms and just different enough to not work for harvesting replacement parts, or this heavily engineered passion project that the guy wants $500 for: https://www.mgr-design.com/store/p5/Ser ... ridge.html I’m not spending that money for a product subject to wear and tear where I cannot rely on replacement parts being there again. (Note to all: do not by current Steinbergers for this reason.)

I’ve looked at other headless fixed bridge options where I would have to mount a block where the current hardware is to give it a mounting surface. Probably where I’m headed just because it’s easier. (Unfortunately ABM seems to be done with their bridge and tailpiece rigs—sub’ing in a piezo equipped tune-o-matic would have been interesting.) But getting something milled like the early Steinberger fixed bridges or the once-available Bondy aftermarket one seemed like a thought.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am

I've had to have some parts machined for old shoe machinery before and it's really fucking expensive.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:56 pm

It depends on the shop really and how complex the part is. Can you post a picture of what you are thinking? Generally some guy working on a bridgeport will be cheaper than going to someone using all CNC machines, lower overhead.
Post a reply