Ground noise with Marr Jaguar

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Ground noise with Marr Jaguar

Postby qersty » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:20 am

I posted this on osg but I have like 3 posts there so I'm not sure I'll get decent response. The neurotic writing style does not help im sure
So I desoldered my pickups cause I had to re-pot them to get rid of a feedback issue I have had. Now when I reassembled I got really nasty ground noise in the bridge position especially. I do believe it is due to me desoldering the neck shield wire in the claw end first time around that is the issue I cant seem to get a decent connection even though I checked continuity both from the claw itself and the joint. I did not get a continuous tone when checking the claw but i assume that is the wax. Still I get this extreme hum.

I have reflowed most ground connections I feel as if i Have been in contact with and have removed as much excessive solder as I could from the connections. Really worried that I'm gonna deal some damage to the pickups, if I have not already, from all the heat (I feel stupid having dipped the neck pickup trice in a morning :fp: )

I'm ready just to let somebody professional handle it instead but I want to check just in case if there is anything obvious I can do to help with the noise. I also want to be 100% sure before I drive an hour just to argue about replacement pickups

Thank you/Sorry

So yeah the 4 way wiring is a bitch to get working with the ground floating. Checked the reading on the neck pickup and it is around the right dc resistance and doesnt short to the magnets. Don't think I've melted the bobbin or anything either cause it is shapely and i wasn't running the wax too hot when potting 70 celsius max. Trying to think about anything else I could have done sloppy (also not trying to think about it at all :cry: )

So yeah calling all pickupeers for help
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Ground noise with Marr Jaguar

Postby kosta » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:44 pm

How do you have your grounds set up? Do they all go to the same place? And are all of the pots and switches also grounded? I usually forget to ground my pot cases to a common ground, for example. Ideally, all of the grounds should be funneling down to a common ground point which then connects to the tailpiece. I haven't worked on Jags at all really, so I can't speak to the claws directly, but when I've modded Teles to have 4-way switching (with series parallel) I had to ground the pickup cover separately, which I think would be the same for the Jag pickup claws. (Just guessing though.) I'd think you'd need to get continuity from that claw out to ground. I'd start there.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby qersty » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:18 pm

its all connected to cavity shielding and ive checked most points to the trem+output jack nothing seems faulty and the problem is that the neck pickup just floats in the bridge position. I have no idea why cause it was fine from the factory and I wired it back up the same. The claw has its own wire.

Gonna have to put some time off to make some serious troubleshooting but it's hard to do anything other than just trying things over and over until its wrong. Trying to think of other possible issues like the pickups not having cooled off entirely or that im just imagining things cause its not strung or something
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 am

When you say the the neck pickup floats in the bridge position, do you mean that the neck pickup sounds fine when the pickup selector is in the neck, series, and parallel positions, but it makes a loud hum when you switch to the bridge selection on the pickup selector switch?
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby qersty » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:06 am

yes, I did have some mda hum in the series mode too last time i checked but then i was just touching the wires to the switch so it might as well be ass much due to that. Also gonna try and shorten the ground lead for the neck pickup cause i read if it touched too many wires it could interfere with the hot wires. I also had to have it loop around which is also supposedly not good.

But yeah you are describing the issue
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:11 am

Think I got it! Had it wired up and thought i got noise levels i could live with. Then I went into the bunker and suddenly no noise, less than usually down there even? So idk maybe my room doesnt vibe with the electronics on this one? Double checked with another guitar and yeah idk. Now at least it is noise and squeal free! The potting was way more effective than I expected once i got it down and still sounds as bright and chimey.

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing :lol: at least that nightmare is over
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects