Jaguar neck on a Strat body (Squier '51) WTD

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Jaguar neck on a Strat body (Squier '51) WTD

Postby frodog » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Hey, so I just impulsively bought a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar neck to put on my old Squier '51, which is a strat body w/ a tele neck. It plays fine, but I've long thought about changing it up since the maple fretboard is not really my thing tonally.

However I didn't really consider the 24" scale of a Jag neck, which will necessitate a (hardtail, not string-thru) bridge relocation and possibly some routing of the neck pocket. I have no experience with this level of guitar modification apart from electronics, but from the little research I've done the main points I've gleaned are: Measured from the middle of the 12th fret, the length to the nut and the (middle of the) bridge saddles must be identical, and that the butt of a tele is straight and not slightly protruding like the jag's, so some routing will be required?

I wasn't planning on taking on such a project, but the idea of further fucking up a frankenstrat is also tantalizing. It's not my main guitar so time is not an issue. I know a luthier who will probably end up cutting the nut (there is none, nor tuners) but I'd like to do a bit of DIY too. Do you think that's unrealistic, even with careful measuring and the right tools? Am I overlooking something crucial?

:idk:
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Jaguar neck on a Strat body (Squier '51) WTD

Postby frodog » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 am

So I just got the neck and all seems to be well. Decent frets, nice block inlays and a lightly sanded, satin feel on the back. The butt (or heel?) is more rounded than a Tele neck, so it does seem I'd have to re-route the neck pocket with someone's Dremel or something. I might be underestimating the difficulty of such an operation though.. we'll see I guess. Any tips would be appreciated.

The other option I've been considering is buying a loaded Jaguar body sans neck. Found some on ebay that are within my budget but also way above what I wanted to spend on this project. A painted, pre-routed blank is a little less money initially, but then I'd still have to buy all the hardware, so it would become more expensive in the end. But if anyone has such a body lying around, hit me up.

Watch this thread for updates in like a year from now.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chromandre » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:54 am

Personally what I would do, I just like having multiple guitars for tuning backup overdubs... I would find a strat neck for the '51, save the jag neck, wait for a deal on loaded squier CV body. (and a 1degree shim in the neck)
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:58 pm

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards too. Not too excited about butchering my only other/alternate tuning electric, having three whole guitars would obviously be better.

Does it have to be a CV body, am I fucked if I get another Jag model or a Fender or is it just less likely to be a perfect fit? Also I hadn't considered a shim, which way would that go?

Thanks for the advice.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:00 am

in my experience, Fender and Squier necks for a particular phenotype are more or less interchangeable i.e. a Strat neck is more or less a Strat neck, but i can't guarantee it. i believe there are slight differences in heel dimensions, but they're not great enough to be significant. shims generally go at the back of the neck pocket as far back as possible; i place them between or slightly in front of the rearmost neck attachment screws.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects