Precision Guitar Kits Are Awesome Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Precision Guitar Kits Are Awesome Thread

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:36 pm

So, in the past these guys have come up and that's how I found out about them.
I'm on my 2nd build using their parts which I'll get into in a later post. My first https://precisionguitarkits.com project came about kind of randomly; I found a LP Jr neck by them that had stainless frets on reverb for $100.00 about 3-4 years ago.. I got a white limba body from precision to go with the neck in 2019.

I was happy enough with that to want to do another but a V as Vs are kinda my thing.. both times the fit, the fretwork and sanding were immaculate. As good or better than Warmoth! AND they are't assholes like Warmoth!

So I thought a official thread was due. :thumb:
Last edited by Blackened Soul on Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Precision Guitar Kits

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:40 pm

Repost of my first build
Blackened Soul wrote:Ok, so I put this together in December but a lot of life shit happened and I just didn't feel like taking a picture until now.

precision guitar kits https://precisionguitarkits.com body [korinia] and neck [mahogany w' SS frets]
I finished it using a driftwood aging solution
The pickguard made rustedrelics http://rustedrelics.ca
mojoaxe bridge, love having no moving parts!
tvjones Power'tron Plus
Q-parts aged tuners & nut
ebony knobs
The bear on the pegged is is carved from bone from a guy from Bali

I have a Bareknuckle progressive P90 on order to reply the TV jones. The overly midrangyness PAF sound isn't working for me ATM
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Precision Guitar Kits

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:11 pm

As I mentioned above I decided on building another Precision Guitar Kits project.

In stead of going custom I went with one of their stock kit deals on a 58 Korinia Flying V https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/v-type

What I got was way nicer grain-figure-wise than I expected, the body has all the curl and flaming on the edges where it looks like oak :thumb: Before it arrived I had thought about finishing it in charred black stain but once it arrived I just wanted to oil it.
V1.png
V1.png (362.25 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

It's in the curing stage ATM with 3 coats try-oil and one of Tried and True Old Fashion polymerized beeswax as a sealer coat.
D2E63B7B-112B-4DDD-99C5-1BBD42D771E4.JPG
D2E63B7B-112B-4DDD-99C5-1BBD42D771E4.JPG (61.28 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

So the plan is black pickguard, chrome hardware and knobs, so the "look" is like a 70s fender/musicman :lol: I've also ordered a fender style decal that says Groovy [for extra 70's + Evildead vibe] that I might use if it turns out..

Electronics: I took the Black Winders out of my epiphany Sheridan II [and put the stock pickups back] and am planning on having VVT but jazz bass wiring instead of gibson with both volumes as push/pull for series/parallel with a normal 3 way toggle
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Precision Guitar Kits Are Awesome Thread

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:49 am

That's groovy as hell!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 am

qersty wrote:That's groovy as hell!

:hug:

Still haven't received my decal.. don't know if I'll use once it show up.. I'm too happy with how this turned out

I went with a more standard wiring layout of a Jazzbass with a switch. The thing resonates so much! and the neck pickup is usable in this guitar where the same pickup in another was too sludgy for most things..

sunn.png
sunn.png (368.62 KiB) Viewed 4492 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs-M2fircs
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:42 am

Sick dude!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby the_carl » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:04 pm

How hard is it to glue in a neck if you have zero woodworking skills/experience? Did the body & neck come mated well enough that's it's just like, apply glue, clamp, wait? These kits look pretty nice.
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm

the_carl wrote:How hard is it to glue in a neck if you have zero woodworking skills/experience? Did the body & neck come mated well enough that's it's just like, apply glue, clamp, wait? These kits look pretty nice.

Fit was very good, I wouldn't say any working was needed on with either of the 2. You do want good metal clamps to get enough pressure.
You might have to do some sanding if you want the heal to be seamless, if you don't on models like the V, X maybe SG they don't bring the edges of the body where the neck heal meets to a feather, I think they expect you to do that if you want. I didn't see a need for my needs... Still you don't really need to sand the things depending on the finish type you use, I pretty much just used a ultra fine scotchbite [similar to 0000 steel wool] but.. I wanted this to have where it feel like wood..

Here is a picture of the glue up

83107FBA-DA2E-4FE4-AA0D-EB0CDCFE647A.JPG
83107FBA-DA2E-4FE4-AA0D-EB0CDCFE647A.JPG (118.08 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby the_carl » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am

Yeah, that really doesn't seem too bad. Will definitely keep these guys in mind - thanks for putting them on my radar!
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:47 pm

Does anyone know how the drilled 3+3 LP/SG-ish tuner holes compare to standard Gibson?

I have a thought of building one of these kits and getting someone who is competent on inlay work to make me a headstock veneer with a custom Gibsonish typeface inlay logo that reads “Authentic”—because I keep seeing that I really should be playing an Authentic.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:AND they are't assholes like Warmoth!

Dish! :snax:
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects