Killer stuff, Repoman.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Frankenstein's Lab! [SHOW YOUR PROJECTS THREAD]

Postby repoman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:17 pm

I finally got his sumbitch painted. Used some fancy automotive polyurethane (Tamco) which is freaking amazing, I used probably less than 3 oz. with base coat, colorshift coat and 3 coats of clear combined. I would use probably half a quart of lacquer in comparison. I need to learn how to shoot this stuff because it got orangepeeled as fuck, but in a legit spray room this stuff must be just awesome. It lays on so fat, it covers up huge scratches and imperfections, and I can't believe how little paint it took to do that. Stuff is super expensive at $300 per gallon+catalyst+reducer, but I figure I could probably do 40-50 bodies with a gallon+quart of base coat. Automotive paint is nutty, this apparently is cheap stuff, common paint used on cars and in body shops is PPG and that is about $800 a gallon!!
Also learned how to wind pickups, made this pickup prototype, its basically a Jazzmaster pickup but its about 25% taller and 20% more narrow, sort like a Jazzmaster pickup crossed with a Strat pickup, but more JM then Strat. Also had to completely redo the pickup cover dies, but they look a lot nicer overall (this bobbin is in the old one with gnarly edges). I pressed the new pickup cover in brass instead of nickel silver and I'll have to learn to electroplate them in nickel silver to save money, nickel silver is super expensive now. I think I'm going to fill the pickup cavity with resin to hold the bobbin inside. They have electrically insulating resin, I'm curious if you used that if it would cut down on hum, or if it would completely kill the pickup. :?:
Trem is mostly done, fretboard mostly done just need to level and dress. Need to use pure black Richlite for the next board.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kosta » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Looking killer, Repoman! That pickup especially.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:16 pm

kosta wrote:Looking killer, Repoman! That whammy-arm tip especially.

:)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects