Everybody TERZ (......sometimes)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Everybody TERZ (......sometimes)

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:52 am

Didn't find a Terz guitar thread, so here it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_38g5JkFNpY

Caught a bug for a Jackson Minion, which sadly went the way of the dodo post-pandemic (though pre-orders for a new batch of gremlins eggsist), and finally found one that was tricked out and affordable! So it basically will be my first Flying V ::crowdcheers::

Anyway, I also ended up looking up terz style guitars after finding a Reverend Corgan sig (sadly going for mucho dinero, moreso when one actually appears), the how & why etc.

My big question is: with a 3/4 scale guitar, why don't most people tune up Terz style? The main complaint with the Minion (or the tiny Jazzmasters or Strats) was holding tune, so either you plop on heavy strings & tune to C, or you manage your best with endless tweaking like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWG31HJpyS8

But since the scale is shortened, a Terz seems like the best option.

I will also say that I'm not interested in the Mando-style things/Warren Ellis zingos, so this middle type of ground seems quite pleasing.

Update once the tiny jammy pan arrives, and maybe I'm just doing it wrong? Seems feasible!?!? Wheel chunk 4 terz :trippy:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Everybody TERZ (......sometimes)

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 am

Do people try to tune those little Jazzmasters to standard tuning?
I like short scale stuff so I thought about picking one of those up but I also like fifths tuning on a tenor guitar so I probably wouldn't do it in standard.
The Minion looks like fun.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:24 pm

This is similar to a requinto right?
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:27 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:
My big question is: with a 3/4 scale guitar, why don't most people tune up Terz style?

:idk: Personal preference?

Maybe the same reason people tune tenor guitars the same as the top four strings of six-string standard tuning?

I've never played a terz acoustic, but I've had a bunch of Sixties Japanese solidbodies (often without a truss rod) with a roughly similar scale length. I normally play fairly heavy flatwound strings (.012s or .013s) and usually string short scale guitars slightly lighter (.011s). Tuned to DADGAD for pretty much any scale length. (sometimes I'll tune that up a step for shorter scale lengths or down a step for longer ones.) I've tried lots of other tunings on the shorty. Never really had a problem holding tune.

So, try different tunings and settle on one that feels comfortable to you and holds tune well enough. :rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:23 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:32 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:54 am

That kay is shmecksy!

For you terzists(?) do you tune GCFBbDG or GCFADG? I know all songs where Nick Drake tuned with a flat G string he always used a capo on the 3rd fret so I guess it could be a cool tuning on terz
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:26 am

i see no reason to tune up a third on Fender/Squier Mini models, which have the same 22.5" scale as OG Duo Sonics. i have a 22.5" Duo Sonic conversion i got on Reverb made from a Vintage Vibe DS body and a Mini Strat neck. you can see where the hole for the second string tree was filled. it's delightful to play with .010s on.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Return to Guitar and Bass