31%
Nay
31%
BRIDGE HUMBUCKER ONLY CUZ I WANNA GET LAID KEKW
38%

Total votes : 13

Guitars that has over 9000 coil tap options

Postby qersty » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am

So do you guys like em or not? I thought about a hsh setup on a strat or hhs but the more i think about it the more i hate it. I get really annoyed by the volume and pot value mismatch. Tho i think thats an artifact from my direct into soundcard days. Mostly just bored and wanna discuss some shit
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Guitars that has over 9000 coil tap options

Postby repoman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am

Everytime I've bought a guitar with weird switching that I think I'd like I just wind up using normal bridge, middle and neck. The only extras I've ever liked where the mudswitch thing on Gretsches and the Filter knob on Reverends.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:41 am

repoman wrote:Everytime I've bought a guitar with weird switching that I think I'd like I just wind up using normal bridge, middle and neck. The only extras I've ever liked where the mudswitch thing on Gretsches and the Filter knob on Reverends.

Like that switch on a jaguar, yeah? I agree on that. Cutting bass is always a nice option to have. I've kinda been imagining that a phase switch on a gibson guitar with the wiring that makes the tone knobs work separately would be cool in that sense. Never had a guitar wired like that though but I think having the pickups out of phase and blend them together for high cut would be cool :idk:

Edit: Like this
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby the_bright_undead » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:07 pm

I had a PRS in the early 2000s that had a weird rotary pickup selector and some kind of coil tapping thing with a push/pull pot. I couldn’t stand it, I played my $400 Ibanez Artstar more often because I really didn’t like the sound of the pickups in the PRS no matter how I switched them….maybe a just didn’t know what I was doing then but I never regretted selling it to buy a strat.

I would totally get a Peavey T60 though if one came my way and I had the cash.
good dealings: laowiz, ianmarks, stomping stones, weebles, Errant Tiger, radish, themeanreds, K2000, Never
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:29 pm

qersty wrote:So do you guys like em or not?

Meh.. They are fun to fiddle with but I always found I'd spend more time messing with the extra crud than just playing.. I like 1 pickup best, more time focussing on what you are suppose to be doing :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:00 pm

All my guitars have only one pickup. I’ll probably end up with at least one guitar that is just straight to the output jack.
My bass has a p and a j pickup, but I got rid of the tone pot. All treble all the time.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm

goroth wrote:All treble all the time.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm

I also prefer not to have them. I might try wiring up coil taps on a guitar some day but I suspect what I'd do is just whittle it down to 2 or 3 cool settings. Too much variation on a guitar just gets in the way of playing for me.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:30 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Being really picky about single coils I find that coil tapped 'buckers never sound that good to me. Also hate when hum cuts in and drops out between switching positions on one guitar, so tend to stick to wiring configs that produce a consistent noise level.

I've gotten better mileage out of experimenting with cap and pot values so that rolling off tone/volume produces more usable sounds. Also a fan of bass cut switches on some guitars.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 pm

You mean coil cut. Coil tap is where in a single coil the is a tap in the coil about halfway of so so you can basically switch the amount of windings.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm

This looks promisin':

https://reverb.com/item/41252114-vintag ... r-4-string

:lol:

(also, double postin' this to the hack job thread. :thumb: :cool: )
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am

ibarakishi wrote:
goroth wrote:All treble all the time.

but then how do you riddim?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:25 pm

qersty wrote:
repoman wrote:Everytime I've bought a guitar with weird switching that I think I'd like I just wind up using normal bridge, middle and neck. The only extras I've ever liked where the mudswitch thing on Gretsches and the Filter knob on Reverends.

Like that switch on a jaguar, yeah? I agree on that. Cutting bass is always a nice option to have. I've kinda been imagining that a phase switch on a gibson guitar with the wiring that makes the tone knobs work separately would be cool in that sense. Never had a guitar wired like that though but I think having the pickups out of phase and blend them together for high cut would be cool :idk:

Edit: Like this

I think I was thinking about this same thing too, maybe?
I was thinking if it was possible to have a sliding potentiometer that would gradually cross the wires so they would be backwards at the end to blend in phase/out of phase...?
Is that even possible?
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:27 pm

goroth wrote:All my guitars have only one pickup. I’ll probably end up with at least one guitar that is just straight to the output jack.
My bass has a p and a j pickup, but I got rid of the tone pot. All treble all the time.

This makes the most sense desu.

I did make an Esquire once that had the "blower switch" where it would be pickup straight to input jack, that was pretty neat.

Should make the most brutal guitar ever that is just pickup to jack, and use the most powerful pickup ever made. I saw some video of a dude that wound a humbucker to like 50k (maybe it was 50k winds) and it made a small amp set really really clean sound like 5 big muffs in a row. I've found a way to make a pickup even more brutal using neodynium magnets in a Halbach array. I wonder if its possible to damage an amp with something like that? :poke:
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass