Tele pickups?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tele pickups?

Postby the_bright_undead » Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm

What do folks like when it comes to tele pickups? I'm looking to replace 'em.

Any strong opinions on ceramic vs. alnico? I'd like to put a stacked humbucker in the bridge but I've always gone with alnico pickups and the rail options that i've seen are all ceramic.

I'm looking for something hotter with a solid midrange in the bridge, and something in the neck that just sounds.....good. y'know, clear but mellow. I've never really been into the neck tele sound, but I do really like the middle position so it's nice to have the second pickup there to take the edge off.
good dealings: laowiz, ianmarks, stomping stones, weebles, Errant Tiger, radish, themeanreds, K2000, Never
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Re: Tele pickups?

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 pm

the_bright_undead wrote:I'm looking for something hotter with a solid midrange in the bridge, and something in the neck that just sounds.....good. y'know, clear but mellow. I've never really been into the neck tele sound, but I do really like the middle position so it's nice to have the second pickup there to take the edge off.

Same here.
My guitar came with a Suhr Alnico V set, which would be perfect if I wanted it to sound like a tele, but I can't help but feel the neck is too dull and the bridge isn't gnarly enough. Seem to use the middle position 90% of the time.
I was thinking of ordering a set from Fletcher pickups eventually. They do a bridge rail humbucker and let you choose from Alnico 2/3/4/5, as well as neck pickups with open cover and large magnet options.

As far as Alnico rail pickups go, the Bill Lawrence one seems alright too https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l-48tl

Tele pickup demos on youtube are usually pretty painful, so hopefully someone here with experience can chime in.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

the most importantest is a proper STEEL baserplate
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zork » Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm

I'm very happy with a DiMarzio DP112 in my Tele: https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/standard-tele/pre-b-1

I also have a DiMarzio Area T humcanceling pickup in my Esquire. Doesn't hum, sounds like a Tele bridge pickup is supposed to do, but isn't quite as punchy as the DP112.
Zork

committed
committed

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm

I have seymour duncan broadcaster in mine :idk: I like it.. I have firebird pickups in the neck and middle :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Firebird in the neck sounds like fun.

If I was in a position to route my Strandberg for different pickups I'd probably put a Charlie Christian in the neck.
There aren't that many interesting retrofit options for neck pickups in a tele since the darn things are so small.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 pm

True.. yeah I lucked out I guess? My tele is a hohner and it has a swimming pool rout... so I’ve tried all kinds of stuff... buckers, p90s, strat pickups, another tele bridge pickup, no neck pickup..
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri May 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:I have seymour duncan broadcaster in mine :idk: I like it.. I have firebird pickups in the neck and middle :idk:

:poke:
pics?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm

:)*
Attachments
IMG_3356.jpg
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat May 15, 2021 7:00 am

Nice!
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby imJonWain » Sun May 23, 2021 12:07 pm

Zhangbucker pickups makes good stuff at pretty reasonable prices considering he makes them himself in the US. The specials section has great deals but if you order "new" you can pick all sorts of options for your pickup. I bought a single Tar Paper bridge pickup off the specials page for like $60 and am super happy with it.

I'm also a big Dimarzio fan. I had the Dp381 Fast Track in the guitar before and really liked it but wanted a "true" single coil pickup guitar after I sold most of my extra gear.

zhang_pu.JPG
zhang_pu.JPG (149.17 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Guitar and Bass