First Jazzmaster

Moderator: Ghost Hip

First Jazzmaster

Postby Dowi » Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 am

I have been more or less casually interested in a Jazzmaster for a while, cause i never owned one.
During the years I heard tons of different stories about how cool they are vs the different problems they can have (tuning stability with stock bridges, buzzing etc).
So, I am just curious and not even sure if I m grabbing one or not, but what's a good model in the cheap-ish realm? My first thought a bit of research would be the Squier Mascis one..
Opinions? Thoughts?
:poke:
:snax:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: First Jazzmaster

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri May 07, 2021 8:29 am

The Mascis is indeed fairly standard pick. Solid geetar. It's got an adusto-matic bridge which doesn't have the fabled bridge issues (I do think these are mildly over-hyped anyway). Does mean you're less able to retrofit a mastery or staytrem but... do you need to? It's nice but the adjustomatic/tune-o-matic is totally workable (especially if all you're after is a pretty solid cheapish guitar).
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby backwardsvoyager » Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 pm

IMO the only major thing to be wary of with jazzmasters is strings popping out of bridge saddles when you strum too hard. This is less severe on the Mascis because of the AOM bridge and the vibrato being moved 15mm inwards. It'll still happen if you're an aggressive player, though. I used to pop strings maybe 3 or 4 times a gig with the stock bridge, and maybe once or twice when I switched to a roller bridge. The Mastery and Staytrem basically eliminate the issue so they're worth it for some people.

The only reason I would advise against the Mascis is if jumbo frets and slightly chunky C-shape necks aren't your thing, in which case the Classic Vibe 60s JM would be a good bet.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri May 07, 2021 2:59 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:The Mascis is indeed fairly standard pick. Solid geetar. It's got an adusto-matic bridge which doesn't have the fabled bridge issues (I do think these are mildly over-hyped anyway). Does mean you're less able to retrofit a mastery or staytrem but... do you need to? It's nice but the adjustomatic/tune-o-matic is totally workable (especially if all you're after is a pretty solid cheapish guitar).

I think staytrem makes bridges for replacing an adjusto-matic. Mastery too. The adjusto-matic on the mascis may prove problematic cause it is the wrong radius for the neck
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sat May 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Bro jazzmasters are fucking played out as fuck. I’m just saying. You’re not going to get laid. All the people that are getting laid right now are playing performers. That’s what you want.
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sat May 08, 2021 9:45 pm

And before you say you’re not trying to get laid then maybe that’s the problem with music. Remember when all the music was good and was about three things? Shake your ass. Get laid. Fuck cops. Boom. Go buy a superstrat.

SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 am

SPACERITUAL wrote:And before you say you’re not trying to get laid then maybe that’s the problem with music. Remember when all the music was good and was about three things? Shake your ass. Get laid. Fuck cops. Boom. Go buy a superstrat.

This is so true. Instead of a jazzmaster dowi should get one a deez
I mean it ticks the boxes of a JM: Dumb shape, ass tremolo, gay ass paintjob (with trans flag inlays), but it also shreds
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun May 09, 2021 11:17 am

qersty wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:The Mascis is indeed fairly standard pick. Solid geetar. It's got an adusto-matic bridge which doesn't have the fabled bridge issues (I do think these are mildly over-hyped anyway). Does mean you're less able to retrofit a mastery or staytrem but... do you need to? It's nice but the adjustomatic/tune-o-matic is totally workable (especially if all you're after is a pretty solid cheapish guitar).

I think staytrem makes bridges for replacing an adjusto-matic. Mastery too. The adjusto-matic on the mascis may prove problematic cause it is the wrong radius for the neck

There was a thread on here recently that I think brought up that staytrem have stopped making those ones. But maybe that's wrong :idk: I am not a mega expert on this I just thought I remembered that :lol: I know they're the wrong radius but honestly I had one on a jag for years and it was... fine? I'm happy I upgraded to a staytrem because it's better but the TOM radius was manageable. In the context of talking about buying fairly cheap guitars - I wouldn't think it was acceptable on a more expensive instrument. :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mcatano » Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 pm

The Squier vintage modified JMs are a solid upgrade platform and you can find them super cheap.
Mastery and Staytrem are cool upgrades, but you can also get the upgraded fender bridge that ships on fancier stock models like the American Original and the Johnny Marr jaguar as an aftermarket part for about half or 1/3 the price of the mastery/staytrem. It's essentially a copy of the staytrem design.
If you want to spend a little more, the road worn, 60s lacquer, and 60th anniversary (all made-in-mexico models) have upgraded pickups and electronics as well as nitrocellulose lacquer finishes instead of the standard poly finishes on the squiers.
The Mascis squiers are really rad; but yeah the necks and frets aren't "classic fender" like most other JM options.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby Dowi » Tue May 11, 2021 5:14 am

Hey thank y'all for the useful insights - specially @qersty for that very sober guitar.

My interest in JM is purely out of curiosity and not out of a specific need, so for the moment i won't consider upgrading a guitar, mostly 'cause i still don't even know if i'm gonna like it or not. :lol:

I have zero problems with big necks and frets, The only thing that bothers me is the saddle thing because I tend to strum hard, at the same time i must say I use 10s or 11s even if in standard tuning so maybe the string tension could help keep them where they should? idk

@SPACERITUAL i don't think i ever made the connection playing guitar-getting laid. Next life i'm gonna be sure to wear spandex and play in a glam band. :hobbes:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby SPACERITUAL » Tue May 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Dowi wrote:
@SPACERITUAL i don't think i ever made the connection playing guitar-getting laid

LOL YEAH OK

SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 am

I have been keeping an eye oper for a cheap JMJM or a Squier 60s classic JM to appear on the used market in my area for about a month now but there are very few and those few are hugely overpriced considering that before the pandemic they were goin for real stupid.. :mad:

Guess I gotta wait and keep my eyes peeled.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:44 am

Dowi wrote:I have zero problems with big necks and frets, The only thing that bothers me is the saddle thing because I tend to strum hard, at the same time i must say I use 10s or 11s even if in standard tuning so maybe the string tension could help keep them where they should? idk

10s and 11s are light for what a jazzmaster bridge is designed for. I've read that shimming the neck to a hard angle and raising the bridge helps. You really should stepup and get a .014 set tho and say goodbye to healthy hands :lol:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ianmarks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 pm

I've owned an AVRi, CIj and classic player over the years and ended up keeping the JMJM. Had to get rid of the pickguard though and I think ended up getting a roller bridge for it. Kept the pickups. Sounds and feels great and I never worried about it getting messed up or stolen at gigs.
ianmarks

committed
committed

Postby univalve » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:32 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:IMO the only major thing to be wary of with jazzmasters is strings popping out of bridge saddles when you strum too hard. This is less severe on the Mascis because of the AOM bridge and the vibrato being moved 15mm inwards. It'll still happen if you're an aggressive player, though. I used to pop strings maybe 3 or 4 times a gig with the stock bridge, and maybe once or twice when I switched to a roller bridge. The Mastery and Staytrem basically eliminate the issue so they're worth it for some people.

I installed a Descendant Tremolo in my CIJ Mascis JM recently. I got after 10 year of popping the E-string out so annoyed, that I went that route. Works like a charm and is as stable as the Mastery trem. No issues.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass