Can I sport a whale-tail when playin' guitar?



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby qersty » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 am

VREEEEVROOOOOW wrote:We played a show at this venue. They asked for a technical rider. So I gave my usual request—JC-120 or Twin Reverb. Got a Twin Reverb, and was pretty happy. Showed up for soundcheck. Did a soundcheck. Sounded fucking great. We looked at each other like "fuck yeah!", and were about to head backstage, when the sound guy came up and was like "THAT WAS WAY TOO LOUD". Turns out I got a Twin Reverb, but could only use it if I had the volume at 1. Yes, 1. Not "practically 1", or something else for the sake of embellishing the story, but literally *1*. Let me tell you, Twin Reverb at 1, does not sound great. And it does not feed back a whole lot, to put it mildly. In the end I got an Orange Tiny Terror, which sounded absolutely awful with my pedalboard which is designed for a JC-120 level of headroom. There was virtually no difference between distortion on and distortion off, let alone between all the different distortions I have.

#giggingInNorway

You get a twin if you ask for it atleast. here all venues only supply the worst marshalls or like a bugera shitmachine.

That's why you soundcheck at 1 then play uninterrupted at gigging volumes ;)
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am
Location: Sweden to the oldies

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby Benn Roe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:34 pm

I get that different scenes work a bit differently, but what sort of shows are these where you aren't bringing your own amps? I've had venues try to talk me out of using one or more of my amps, but there was always an expectation that I'd show up with everything I needed to get the sound I wanted. Is that just American privilege? DIY punk protocol? Some combination thereof?

dubkitty wrote:so you didn't want people to hear the singer? :lol: :lol: :lol:


The "singer" was usually me, and yeah, not really. (:
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby qersty » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 am

I guess it is a cultural thing. Here techs wanna use the same stuff the entire gig as much as possible. I've also been to several venues where the drums have been screened off...
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am
Location: Sweden to the oldies

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby goroth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 am

I think, going full-on amateur psychologist on a cultural level, that live music just isn't particularly highly valued as an experience here (Swe) any more. For any band on less than a decent touring level live music is just not worth it, and this is reflected in how many gigs there are, how easy they are to get, and how you are treated as a band at these gigs.

So the whole idea that a band could have their own ideas about how they want to sound is completely irrelevant - you just gotta get the bands in and out again and keep the punters in the bar.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 13329
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 am

goroth wrote:I think, going full-on amateur psychologist on a cultural level, that live music just isn't particularly highly valued as an experience here (Swe) any more. For any band on less than a decent touring level live music is just not worth it, and this is reflected in how many gigs there are, how easy they are to get, and how you are treated as a band at these gigs.

So the whole idea that a band could have their own ideas about how they want to sound is completely irrelevant - you just gotta get the bands in and out again and keep the punters in the bar.

I don't think it is a cultural thing. What you are saying is a lot of the US, I've heard from more than one person that in the area I live [Puget Sound/"Seattle"] is one of the better places with more venues that elsewhere... and yet it has been fizzling down for years.. even the cover bands are all about gone [about 2017 they were all on a super fast decline] and because there are SOOOO many bands here you were super lucky to get a real gig every couple of months...

The only time I've had to use a house amp was when a big club was doing one of the dumb-ass showcase things where you get 20 bands to all play 3 songs.. those got really popular around 2004 and really helped... dive away a good percentage of the audiences... :picard:
Blackened Soul

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am
Location: PNW

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby Dr Tony Balls » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:15 am

Benn Roe wrote:I get that different scenes work a bit differently, but what sort of shows are these where you aren't bringing your own amps? I've had venues try to talk me out of using one or more of my amps, but there was always an expectation that I'd show up with everything I needed to get the sound I wanted. Is that just American privilege? DIY punk protocol? Some combination thereof?


A lot of it might have to do with the means/space of a given city. Years ago when I lived in Houston, where space is plentiful, clubs are large, parking is available, and everyone drives. EVERYONE brought their own gear to play a show always and I never played a single place that had any amount of backline. Nowadays I live in NYC where space and driving is limited, and backlines are the norm. Almost every place has drums and a bass amp at a minimum, and often guitar amps are available as well. You can opt to bring your own gear as you like, but there might not be much room to stash it while you're not playing.
Dr Tony Balls

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Benn Roe wrote:I get that different scenes work a bit differently, but what sort of shows are these where you aren't bringing your own amps? I've had venues try to talk me out of using one or more of my amps, but there was always an expectation that I'd show up with everything I needed to get the sound I wanted. Is that just American privilege? DIY punk protocol? Some combination thereof?


A lot of it might have to do with the means/space of a given city. Years ago when I lived in Houston, where space is plentiful, clubs are large, parking is available, and everyone drives. EVERYONE brought their own gear to play a show always and I never played a single place that had any amount of backline. Nowadays I live in NYC where space and driving is limited, and backlines are the norm. Almost every place has drums and a bass amp at a minimum, and often guitar amps are available as well. You can opt to bring your own gear as you like, but there might not be much room to stash it while you're not playing.

Not really. I find that bigger more equipped venues have been more keen on using their house stuff
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am
Location: Sweden to the oldies

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 am

i've found the biggest determining factor is how patient the sound guy is and if he's willing to set up mics for every amp on a given night.
MechaGodzilla

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2357
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 am

Sure... but I've run into the same amount that don't know what they are doing or have a set way they do things no matter if it actually works, or sounds good.. like the guy that ran the sound at Louie Gs that would only mic the tweeter on you bass cab... and if you moved it he'd turn your mic off and only use direct.. and THAT is why I'm that asshole that will bring a 400 watt tube amp to a coffee shop.. you pull that shit and I'll just turn my amp up so I don't have to go through your fucking PA :surprise:
Blackened Soul

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am
Location: PNW

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 pm

I refuse to even turn ON the tweeter whenever I have cabs that have one :lol:
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 13180
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby dubkitty » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:55 pm

seriously. we're not running full-range audio here, and guitars have fuck all above 8 or 9 kHz, let alone a bass.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 12502
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: up the block from the intersection of High and Altamont. no, seriously

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby qersty » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:29 am

I think the reason tweeters are in bass cabs originated as some cobbled together solution to get the cab sound louder at not-optimal wattages. It's kinda like a bright cap. They really suck. Mid-drivers in bass cabs tho
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am
Location: Sweden to the oldies

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby goroth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:15 am

God I hate bright switches.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 13329
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby qersty » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 am

Schlatte wrote:Image
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am
Location: Sweden to the oldies

Re: Wound G-string?

Postby dubkitty » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:02 pm

a Fendet bright switch can be very handy if you want to play country-esque stuff on a humbucker guitar, and would probably go well with electric 12-string.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020
dubkitty

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 12502
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: up the block from the intersection of High and Altamont. no, seriously

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)



ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.