Rehousing a Frequency Analyzer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Rehousing a Frequency Analyzer

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 am

In case you ever wanted to do it, I recently rehoused an Electro Harmonix Frequency Analyzer for a friend.

The smallest commercially available enclosure these old ones will fit in is a Hammond 1590XX/1790NS or equivalent knock off.

You have to give up the Dry Out jack, which I imagine few people use. There just isn't room.

There is room for a small toggle to replace the Filter slide switch, but this example had been jumped internally to the preferred setting, so I left it.

I should have taken a picture of the inside, but it helps to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to take a corner off of the PCB, which helps it to fit all the way to one side, making room for the LED and DC jack on the other side. You can't see the DC jack in the pic, but it's on the left, near the LED.

Also, if you try this yourself, be careful of the power situation when connecting the LED.

The 40VDC supply floats with respect to ground and a bipolar 15VDC supply is created. You need to find ground and one of the 15VDC points to run the LED. You also, of course, must add an appropriately valued limiting resistor for the LED.

I also used a 3PDT footswitch and made the thing true bypass.

Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Re: Rehousing a Frequency Analyzer

Postby crochambeau » Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am

Nice work!

That original case is working on a glorious patina, please reassure me it's not heading straight for a scrap pile.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sat May 01, 2021 10:42 am

Nah, my friend told me to keep it. I'll use it for something.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby taco satori » Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 am

:idea: I know for whom this was done!
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Here's one I got my friend Dan to do about 15 years ago. This was in a 1590J I believe.

http://beavisaudio.com/projects/farehouse/
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects