Metasonix schematics made me curious

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Metasonix schematics made me curious

Postby TheStevenLasombras » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm

I just noticed this Muff Wiggler thread, where the Metasonix dude shared some of his hand-drawn schematics for old (now super-pricey) TX- and TM- effects: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 3&t=235632
For the folks with actual knowledge/experience building (or having things built)... how helpful are schematics like this? I'm sure it depends on the builder, but is it even remotely worth it to commission a one-off build (not that I'd want or care about an exact clone, but at least in the noisy tube neighborhood) with a schematic as a guide, or would one be better off just dropping $500+ for an original?
KRUDLER on Bandcamp for all your noise rock & cinematic synth needs
TOTHENECK on Instagram for recording snippets, artwork, etc.
TheStevenLasombras

committed
committed

Re: Metasonix schematics made me curious

Postby crochambeau » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:51 pm

There is enough information on those pages to build a circuit, yes. I mean, I did not scrutinize for potential flaws, as it is (obviously) ASSumed that anyone diving in can draw on experience and "overlook" any disfigured renderings.

So, they appear complete, though sometimes layout is a very important factor as well.

If you're taking the plunge, I would suggest procuring the tubes before launching the ship, as those will be the difficult parts to find. Eric Barbour is/was not shy around using goofy tubes which are definitely in the "no longer in production" realm.

I've seen some pretty wild "Just so we're clear, I'm not offering my services to build this, but if I did you'd pay out the nose for it" statements thrown around, and I guess it's my turn to do the same. It's hard to say if contracting a build would be any cheaper than buying an original.

While on the subject of Eric Barbour designs, here's a nice collection formerly hosted at the CGS site: http://www.synthpanel.com/tube/vca.html

Thanks for that link!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby TheStevenLasombras » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Thanks for that reply! Sounds like I’d better prepare more before wading into another ambitious project like that. But good to know! And your stuff looks cool :thumb:
KRUDLER on Bandcamp for all your noise rock & cinematic synth needs
TOTHENECK on Instagram for recording snippets, artwork, etc.
TheStevenLasombras

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:34 pm

He broke it down in to details about what power supplies to buy and build. follow the muffwiggler link. The information is definitely complete enough for any experienced builder to build from as long as they follow the discussion, not just the schematics.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 pm

I don't know if they are still up, but there also used to be Metasonix schematics on the CGS Synth website.

I built a few circuits based on those, including preamps with the 6BN6 tube that sounded pretty gnarly.

I also built a modular in the chassis of a Peavey rack mounted mixer using the Metasonix VCO, VCA, Noise Source and VCF schematics. I put a tube mixer in, as well, based on an old RCA tube manual schematic.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:51 pm

The thing I built in the Peavey chassis is used in these clips. I still have the preamp, too, I'll have to make a clip with it.

Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Return to DIY Effects