INFANEM the driving notion clone

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 pm

the time has come. would like to try to have one of these made so i have a clone made to possibly replace the one i currently own with terrible jacks. does anyone have the schematic they could share? Has anyone cloned this before? Any info would be great
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Re: INFANEM the driving notion clone

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:17 pm

I had someone take a look at mine with an eye on cloning it but he didn't want to mess with trying to trace the SMD in there. Maybe Dino wants to tackle it?
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 pm

yeah, have had multiple people say the same thing, didn't want to deal with it because its SMD. Would be really nice if someone would be able to trace it though and let it floating into the open so that people can either make their own or improve on it now that infanem has been dead for years. would really help a lot of people out.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 am

post pics of the inside please. I like to reverse engineer. I have a way to get it right %100 of the time. I build a full net list by checking continuity from each pad to every other pad. the search space is as big as p*(p-1)/2. this is close to (p^2)/2 which grows like p^2. this is why I want to see how big it is. something with 4 pots, 20 resistors, 4 caps, 2 IC, power = 70 pads. this means I have to check continuity 2415 times. in reality though, it would be 4830 because it is very difficult to skip duplicates. 2415 is only theoretical.

a fuzz face though, that would be 182 tests or 96 in god mode. the difficulty grows fast!
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 am

if i have the time this week, i will try to open mine up to take some photos for you. apologies in advance for my ignorance if i do, say, or ask silly questions/things, as i am extremely ignorant about a lot of this stuff
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:26 am

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE A CLONE FOR IBARAKISHI!!!

PLEASE!!! MAKE THE BOY A CLONE!!! IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'RE MAKING THEM ANYMORE!

JESUS H BALDHEADED CHRIST!!! OTHER PEOPLE WANT A CLONE TOO!
WHY MUST WE PLAY THIS CRUEL... CRUEL GAME!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 am

I still want one, even though I didn't think it was all that great when I borrowed one.

Fuzzhugger Magic Meter does more clang imo.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:36 pm

goroth wrote:I still want one, even though I didn't think it was all that great when I borrowed one.

Fuzzhugger Magic Meter does more clang imo.

To be honest... from demos, I've never been a fan 55555. I support my friends though... so PLEASE GOD MAKE A CLONE!
Also, noted on the Magic Meter.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:56 pm

I've had two and liked the sound very much but both had problems with the jacks. I didn't want to build my sound around something so unreliable and irreplaceable.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:I've had two and liked the sound very much but both had problems with the jacks. I didn't want to build my sound around something so unreliable and irreplaceable.

Was this universal across Infanem's product line? There is a cheap Second Voice Deluxe I am embarrassed to admit I am considering but... perhaps if these jacks are annoying I may be further deterred from taking the plunge.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 pm

jacks can be replaced. post a picture of the inside of the pedal.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 am

$harkToootth wrote:Was this universal across Infanem's product line?

yes
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:21 am

eatyourguitar wrote: post a picture of the inside of the pedal.

within the next 24 hours i will try to put one up. do you need both sides of it?
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:15 am

probably just one side but both sides would be better. depends how much work it is. the only reason I would want to see the other side is if it is completely covered in black epoxy. I would want to know if it has that anti-trace black goop all over the board mounted components. if no goop then just one side should be ok.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am

opened this up today and its a trainwreck of a build. i understand why the jacks always have problems especially in this pedal. the builder stuffed them in crushed against the pots, which has them sticking up against the back enclosure plate. the builder literally cut part of the inside of the metal plate so that the jacks will rest against it when closed without completely crushing. kind of blew my mind why they didn't just use a bigger enclosure size the same as the STEP pedal. When i went to close everything back up, the input jack snapped when i tried to tighten it to the enclosure. didn't do it hard and was very gentle, just kind of crumbled in my hands which was startling. have to get that fixed now the next time i run into the city to visit the local music shop here :picard:

but anyways, very difficult to photograph due to shadows. tried natural lighting first, then used a tiny flashlight to try to aim at the board under the pots themselves to light it. i know both routes are a mess, but all i have is my partners old iphone (i don't own a phone) and don't own a digital camera with a macro lens. if these are completely unusable let me know. trying my best here.

Link for full size photos is below, there are a ton of them so let me know if it isn't working or something is wrong:

https://imgur.com/a/oQVIgjs

trying to help do gods work here and contribute. so let the devils start dancing. let the saga begin

ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to DIY Effects