· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Your band, other bands, singers, songwriters, more.
Post a reply

Re: Okta 3? [endgame!]

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Did some tidying and very minor backstage tweaking with the tracks.

I made a "continuous mix" version like we had with the last version.

Next up: bandcamp uploading! :joy:

Re: Okta 3? [endgame!]

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:35 am

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing everyone's tracks

Re: Okta 3 [now a thing!]

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:46 am

Okta 3 officially exists!

Okta: Ambient Collaborations 3

Thanks to all who participated, including folks who provided sounds but couldn't participate in the second round. And thanks to folks who were interested in the first round but couldn't add to the sample pool. And thanks to folks who contributed to past volumes but were too busy this time around — all of you are important to the process and are welcome back if/when there's another go 'round. One of my goals was to make this as low-stress as possible, so however you participated was the right way.

Now go and tell folks in your networks about this!

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:41 am

More from the Oktaverse! I did a video exchange with manymanyhaha and this is what I came up with for their track:

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:04 pm

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Heck yeah! Busy weekend so can't listen till next week but very excited to hear everyone's tracks!

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:43 pm

I like it, has been a good background for work today. 35 minutes of ambient music goes by quick!

And I like that everyone approaches it differently and that each track contributes to the whole in its unique way, makes it a more interesting listen to me. Have learned a few things and I will definitely participate again next year, if you all decide to do it.

Will have my video for Mr. Akimbo's track up by Monday hopefully

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 pm

:!!!: Unbelievably stoked to be able to contribute something to this project! It turned out great! Thanks to everyone involved! :rock:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:39 pm

My video of Heraclitus Akimbo's track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy1ri8PqGNI

Thank you all, that was fun
Last edited by manymanyhaha on Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:13 am

Just listened a couple of times, enjoyed everyone's tracks a lot, thanks all for the fun and music and especially thanks HA for organising!

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:31 am

Agreed, I had a listen yesterday and was very impressed with everyone's work.

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:54 pm

If any participants want a digital copy of the full final album, just dm me. I can send you a FLAC or MP3 fileset.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:49 pm

Wow, well done everyone (and special thanks go to our mixmaster / lion tamer Heraclitus!). I think this release feels the most cohesive one yet :) I haven't been around much recently (work is terrible until the Christmas break) so I've missed out on a lot of the conversations. My son and I listened to the whole album this evening and I thought I'd write a few comments that occurred to us while we were listening:

1 Sonic Koalas track - such a beautifully simple thing, we both now feel our track is probably too over orchestrated and would be better if we took some things out... I must've missed that ocean field recording; I would've been sorely tempted to use it myself!

2 Heraclitus's track - my son was really happy to hear his guitar playing! And I think the magpie was in one of my field recordings. Great title that seems to fit the music very well.

3. Mediocrisy - best title on the album, wish I'd thought of it myself! Heavy crushing tones indeed.

4. Idiopathic - we both love what you did to our samples - how did you do that? we sound like a drunken vibrato angelic version of My Bloody Valentine - we both love that part - if it wasn't too technically weird we'd love to know how you did that?

5 C.N. - the keyboard is lovely, so beautiful and eerie at the same time.

The mix of all the tracks was really good too - a great idea. Hopefully more ILFers can join in next time!

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:36 am

moid wrote:4. Idiopathic - we both love what you did to our samples - how did you do that? we sound like a drunken vibrato angelic version of My Bloody Valentine - we both love that part - if it wasn't too technically weird we'd love to know how you did that?

Thank you for providing such nice, lovely and composed tracks for us to use. Obviously your approach was different from the rest of ours and I don't know if your tracks got used more than everyone else's but they are certainly noticeable. Next year, for the source tracks, I'm going to do more field recordings and try to do more uneffected and perhaps a little lengthier and composed stuff, maybe? Or I may say sod it and revert back to form, haha.

That track of yours that you are talking about was the first thing I played. I immediately put Valhalla UberMod on it, turning Shape down to -100% to see what it would sound like with reverse and it sounded great. I also put Goodhertz Wow Control on it, to lofi it a little. I carried on messing with all the tracks from everyone and realizing that I liked bits of everything I had done with all the of them, I set about to use them all, even if for just a moment, as my CPU would allow, and I pushed the computer to the edge of breaking to do it :lol:

So it may not be noticeable with all the effects but every one of the source tracks is in there. Thanks again everyone, that was fun (I know. I keep saying that but it was, looking forward to next year!)

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:31 pm

Just grabbed, looking forward to hear the results tomorrow,will report after a couple spins. :)*
I was bummed I didn't get to be a part of it this year but I am very happy to see the project going on and evolving, hopefully I can be again on board for the 2022 edition :snax:
Post a reply