Seppuku FX

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Seppuku FX

Postby Christophe » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:24 pm

$harkToootth wrote:3. It's not 2013-2016 pedal culture anymore.

I like that idea. That’s when I started spending a lot of time here, enjoying it and learning about new builders.
But are you just talking about the attitude towards cloning, or more than that? Curious about your thoughts.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Never » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:52 am

Oh damn, I don't know what that book is, but I know I need it...
Never

committed
committed

Postby Dowi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Couple Seppukus for sale in Italy, if anyone's interested
(not cheap)

https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/ann/search.asp?ns=1&rp=&ct=&ch=&vt=&kw=seppuku
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby moid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:40 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
Gone Fission wrote:I was thinking before opening this thread that Seppuku pedals would be excellent targets for DeadEndFX. So yes.

Yes, that's the move. I have a ton of these, so I'll see what Dino's up to. It would be cool to get a couple of the "original circuits" on the market for people.
1. Rhys isn't making them anymore
2. Even if he was, I'd still send them to Dino lololol. Rhys took enough of my money. "You got fat while everyone starved in the streets!"
3. It's not 2013-2016 pedal culture anymore. Even if this was cloning, I'd support it.

Posting this image cause I just heard of this book and it sounds quite interesting. Similar theme because this book "democratized color theory.

Many of Rhys's circuits can be worked out from decent photos (and a few measurements with a DMM if you have one). Although Dino does an amazing job of cloning rare pedals so if he is up for it, I would be interested in the results! I've built four octave drones so far, but really want to try to make a Mind Warp next or one of Rhys' delays - especially ones that there aren't schematics available for.

And thanks for posting the book, that looks rather interesting - I teach some colour theory in one of my classes and I'd never heard of the author or this book, and it looks like (for it's time) it was really forward thinking. Some of the inner designs made me think of the work of Mondrian when he was simplifying realistic structures to minimalist forms (Pier and Ocean)

or Theo Van Doesburg's abstractions of cows

moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Never » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 pm

nice! where's the Art thread?
Never

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 am

I've been working with Alec of MAE for a while on a take on a Seppuku circuit, but we're not quite there yet. Rhys did some weird stuff, like intentionally messing with the grounding and having connections that don't go anywhere, that doesn't really translate well to modern PCB design. What a character!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:53 am

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:44 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I've been working with Alec of MAE for a while on a take on a Seppuku circuit, but we're not quite there yet. Rhys did some weird stuff, like intentionally messing with the grounding and having connections that don't go anywhere, that doesn't really translate well to modern PCB design. What a character!

Ooh la la
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:08 pm

Memory Loss. Not too cheap. But the seller linked my YouTube demo video. Good guy! :D

https://reverb.com/item/46228256-seppuku-fx-memory-loss
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby counttherings » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:18 pm

Still rocking my Catrina FX Corazon but I do get tempted sometimes when a Memory Loss pops up. I love that pedal but never got to try the real thing. Are us Corazon owners missing out on anything other than the vibes?
counttherings

involved
involved

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:54 pm

The corazon was based on my broken memory loss, and while it is an excellent unit, it does not sound and act completely the same. Idk what drod changed, but the corazon is a bit more beefy in the mid to lows and also doesn't glitch out as easily as the mem loss. Mem loss is more chirpy and filtered differently. It's pretty close though.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby counttherings » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:01 am

UglyCasanova wrote:The corazon was based on my broken memory loss, and while it is an excellent unit, it does not sound and act completely the same. Idk what drod changed, but the corazon is a bit more beefy in the mid to lows and also doesn't glitch out as easily as the mem loss. Mem loss is more chirpy and filtered differently. It's pretty close though.

Ah, just different enough to make me want to try it still lol. I appreciate the beefiness of the Corazon but chirpy sounds fun too. Thanks for the breakdown!
counttherings

involved
involved

Postby Pepe » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:07 am

Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pepe » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 am

Too late! All the pedals are already sold or not for sale anymore. The prices weren't absolutely crazy, but definitely not cheap, either.
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby K2000 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm

counttherings wrote:Still rocking my Catrina FX Corazon but I do get tempted sometimes when a Memory Loss pops up. I love that pedal but never got to try the real thing. Are us Corazon owners missing out on anything other than the vibes?

My impression is that the Memory Loss circuit changed, I don’t know how many times. Maybe several times. So whether a Memory Loss clone was authentic could depend on what version you were comparing it to. If I recall correctly, Rhys stopped making them because he could not get reliable and consistent builds. There was too much variation from pedal to pedal. Also, I owned a Memory Loss briefly, and it would randomly send frighteningly loud, very low frequency tones to my amp which made me seriously afraid of blowing speakers. The knobs were interactive and completely unpredictable. The version I had was IMO a total mess, and not very usable.

I don’t know why anybody would pay $200 for a Repeater, as it’s a very ordinary chopping tremolo. A Earthquaker Hummingbird v3 would be cheaper and more versatile, and have a quiet foot switch.

I used to love my Seppuku Kompact Kassette and I still think it’s a good pedal (mine is #2 so I was an early adapter and Seppuku fan) but I have come to realize that the Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate and Clarinot cover similar territory (whatever that “abused delay chip” is, it’s in several available pedals now). The prices on Seppuku are simply absurd now, and not warranted IMO.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear