Drolo Strands

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Drolo Strands

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm

So... i'm assuming some Ilfers managed to grab one from the first batch? They must be home by now and haven't heard about it...
Eager to read your reports. The internets are still lacking a basic demo on guitar.
What is it like?
What are the features in common/overlapping/differences with other micro loopers, like Mood, or Cloudy, or ...?
I can feel a slow rise of gas for another micro looper/delay (still using ct5, stammen and Baklengs A LOT).
Strands, Mood mk2, and besides a forthcoming batch of Draume... dangerous times!
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Re: Drolo Strands

Postby Christophe » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:00 am

Really? Noone? :idk:
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:18 pm

In the past month, I've had Covid (1st time), gastroenteritis (probably 1st time in 20+ years), and the radiator cracked while I was driving home. Today was the first day, where I could do some unboxing and start going through about 10 untouched pedals. I'll post some initial thoughts on the Strands shortly. (batch #2 drops tomorrow at 10 am EST / 15:00 Brussels)

https://www.drolofx.com/shop/
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Prof_lofi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:30 pm

Interested too - I just purchased a Count to Five and a Blooper (neither arrived yet) and wondering what the crossover between them and Strands is. Very little by way of review on the internet about it other than saying Drolo is amazing (which I have no doubt they/he are/is).
Prof_lofi

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:16 am

40 or 50 Strands gone in 9 minutes.

I was there, clicked on "add to cart" at 15:00 when it said "in stock". And then the website was jammed for 9 minutes.

I want to support and stand by small builders, but this makes me mad. How is it possible to get one? Do you need the NASA's computer server to be able to reach the checkout page?
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:27 am

Initial thoughts? I'll probably use the two random modes along with the main tape algo the most. I didn't hear anything I disliked from the 5 other banks, but those probably grabbed me the most at first listen.

For my first run, I had the fidelity maxed. I'll need to go back and listen to its lo-fi capabilities.

My first chain was: OB-6 > Fable I > Strands > Fable II

There were some interesting textures in every combination (Strands solo, Strands pre- & post- Fable).

Second chain went: OB-6 > Strands > DL4 MKII

I've always heard positives things about the original DL4's reverse algo. Going basic synth arp into Strands (tape) into the DL4's reverse setting delivered one of the most beautiful and psychedelic reverse textures I've ever heard. I experimented a little bit with adding some reverb/delay in between with a Fable on 20-25% wet. I should try Strands in front of an Avalanche Run in reverse next.

Regarding overlap, I don't really hear other effects in it. When I think about the MOOD, I think ambient/granular textures. When I think about the CT5, I think about the high-pitched chirps. Strands is its own kind of texture generator. Depending on settings, you can walk away and just listen to the different effects ramp up and crash against each other. (ex. delay > Strands > delay/granular/modulation)
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 am

Christophe wrote:40 or 50 Strands gone in 9 minutes.

I was there, clicked on "add to cart" at 15:00 when it said "in stock". And then the website was jammed for 9 minutes.

I want to support and stand by small builders, but this makes me mad. How is it possible to get one? Do you need the NASA's computer server to be able to reach the checkout page?

It may have been more like 5 honestly. I was monitoring it, and that was the slowest I've ever seen the Drolo site. When I looked at one tab, it said Strands was out of stock. On another tab, it said in stock. I think it took 4-5 minutes for the site to update it was sold out.

Christophe wrote:I want to support and stand by small builders, but this makes me mad. How is it possible to get one? Do you need the NASA's computer server to be able to reach the checkout page?

1) log into PayPal 5 minutes before launch
2) make a sacrifice to the flying spaghetti monster
3) refresh product page once a minute until the stock page is updated (ex: starting at 9:57)
4) don't refresh your browser once an item is in your cart
5) hope & wish that you scrape through the checkout process, while other people are throttling down the site by constantly refreshing
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:44 pm

echorec wrote:
1) log into PayPal 5 minutes before launch
2) make a sacrifice to the flying spaghetti monster
3) refresh product page once a minute until the stock page is updated (ex: starting at 9:57)
4) don't refresh your browser once an item is in your cart
5) hope & wish that you scrape through the checkout process, while other people are throttling down the site by constantly refreshing

Thanks. I was able to grab Stammen twice, "back in the days", but maybe now more people are following Drolo fx, and it's more difficult than before.

I basically did what you describe here, and got a Strands in my cart. Then I was hitting the "view cart" button every ten seconds because the browser was stuck. At 15:06, I did refresh the browser cos I knew it wouldn't be long before Strands was sold out. When I was finally able to reach the check-out page, that only happened because the item was sold out. I was so mad cos I was there and did everything right. There were just too many people doing the same thing I guess.
Well, I'll buy one in 2025 when fewer people care.
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:29 pm

Does seem like a cool pedal.

The online scamper/hoop-jumping is a bummer.

Lack of gear funds is the surest way to avoid the headache.

Congrats and condolences to all (as appropriate).
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to General Gear