Fun, Chaotic High gain distortion pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Fun, Chaotic High gain distortion pedals

Postby SimplyTH » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:36 pm

So right now one the few sounds that I can't get out of my rig (that I would like) is just a really intense high gain distortion. We're talking like noisy, chaotic super textured grind to sludge sounds. Real abyss in the bottom of hell shit. Only problem is I know these sounds usually come out of some giant 100 watt high gain head and my current amp is a super high head room clean machine, so I would appreciate any recs on a pedal that could get me in that territory.

Thanks!
SimplyTH

interested
interested

Re: Fun, Chaotic High gain distortion pedals

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:13 pm

Mountainking Megalith?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:32 pm

Raygun Youth (PLL family)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtefAnCgj4A

Soundwave Breakdown (DBA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaJL0HWMwY

Also whatever this Soundslicefx thing sounds like, probably:

Basically 2 Fuzz Factorys :cool:

EDIT: here's a vid that's not as crazy as I'd thought :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDnE7EUqkHc

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Dropping Acid #rip. It’s the one you want. I’ve seen people compare it to the Rat, HM-2, and Fuzz Factory. It’s not a similar circuit to any of these, but that should give you a notion of just a slice of the multitudes it contains. And for chaotic, you really want that momentary switch.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby le lambin » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Lots of DBA stuff could be applicable here- I remember the Evil Filter being insanely over the top. Their Robot is also just bananas- too atonal for me but maybe not for you?

Montreal Assembly PurPLL can shred the gnar.

Wolftone/Malekko chaos is good for that weird frequency sweeping thing, can sound apocalyptic.

The new Dreadbox fuzz is supposed to be cool.

If you slam something gainy into a Brassmaster clone I am sure you will be delighted.

I remember that Adventure Audio one was sick- Dream Machine? Dream Reaper?

Your classic fuzz factory plus any analog delay will cut off heads. The red witch fuzz god was also a good fuzz factory-ish fuzz for that.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 pm

Chaotic for grind and sludge.. first have you ever tried a dod deathmetal? I'm not 100% how to proceed unless you have..

Hmm..
LastGasp Art Laboratories Deviltail

Dod Buzz Box

Maybe a KMA Machines WURM? I've always wanted to try one

:thumb:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:13 pm

Anything RMA really. The Tetanus Booster is advertised as a 'boost', but if you get the current version with the high gain switch and activate it, it immediately transforms into a roaring gain box. Flip on the treble boost switch too and it burns your house down. If you are okay with fuzz territory too, then the Mudlark is great as well. But the TB is a never sell pedal for me, and has been used on just about everything i have ever recorded since buying it from Curtis. It is also is amazing running into everything else you own, whether its other gain boxes, delays, etc. as well. Wish more people knew and used them, as they are so useful and great sounding. I use it for both running into guitar and traditional bowed string instruments here. Don't want to sound like a stan, but they are genuinely pretty great and Curtis is nice too.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Mountainking Megalith?

If you can catch Even when he builds - A Dirge Slowly Melting is pretty usable with the Starve function off, however this is a rare unicorn pedal but if you catch one its absolutely bonkers in a good way.

KMA Wyrm, Earthbound Audio Through Locust, ect are all spin offs of the Boss HM2 with more functions to add lows and other fun shit with still having all of the dials set at max - I mean you really cant go wrong with any of those choices, the KMA shit is really well put together.

The Mountain King Megalith is another high gain goodness pedal that I would highly recommend to check out

+to the DOD Deathmetal - I kind of agree as well that you should start here. Cheep and sounds brutal.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:56 pm

ibarakishi wrote:Anything RMA really. The Tetanus Booster is advertised as a 'boost', but if you get the current version with the high gain switch and activate it, it immediately transforms into a roaring gain box. Flip on the treble boost switch too and it burns your house down. If you are okay with fuzz territory too, then the Mudlark is great as well. But the TB is a never sell pedal for me, and has been used on just about everything i have ever recorded since buying it from Curtis. It is also is amazing running into everything else you own, whether its other gain boxes, delays, etc. as well. Wish more people knew and used them, as they are so useful and great sounding. I use it for both running into guitar and traditional bowed string instruments here. Don't want to sound like a stan, but they are genuinely pretty great and Curtis is nice too.

:group:

Thanks for the love, but I'm going to disagree with the "anything" angle. With the chaotic modifier the Dirty Doper is the one that fits best, I've got a short stack of the original design underway, before I translate it to SMT and push the availability button.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:06 pm

Fabtone
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:02 am

Chaos distortion? MASF EPILEPSY!!! I love it so much I have 2 of these!
Notable mentions: MASF Thornoscillator, anything from Lastgasp Art Laboratories.
I?m also a super fan of the Earthbound Audio Throat Locust: IMHO the best HM2 clone out there.

gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Return to General Gear