The Year Without Gear

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Year Without Gear

Postby Blood_mountain » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:21 pm

frodog wrote:If it's used it doesn't count. That's a loophole I just invented.

Haha, that’s how I think too! I am great at creating loopholes. When the new Fairfield pedal was leaked, and I found out they weren’t releasing it until this month, I legit reached out to them to see if I could preorder so that way it would technically have been purchased in 2022.

Alas, it was not to be, and I’m thankful for that, as it’s given me the challenge of trying to get that kind of sound with existing gear.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:18 am

I haven't picked up any pedals or related gear, but my cassette tape recorder did stop working, so I'll need to replace that. I guess I need to add a replacement clause to my plan!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:51 am

Blood_mountain wrote:I haven't picked up any pedals or related gear, but my cassette tape recorder did stop working, so I'll need to replace that. I guess I need to add a replacement clause to my plan!

Valid imo. I don't regret picking up the acoustic, it's way easier to play than my beleaguered old dreadnought, which is enjoying a well-earned break until I can repair it. Plus the new one's smaller body means my cat can sit in my lap while I play. :hobbes:
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:06 am

friendship wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:I haven't picked up any pedals or related gear, but my cassette tape recorder did stop working, so I'll need to replace that. I guess I need to add a replacement clause to my plan!

Valid imo. I don't regret picking up the acoustic, it's way easier to play than my beleaguered old dreadnought, which is enjoying a well-earned break until I can repair it. Plus the new one's smaller body means my cat can sit in my lap while I play. :hobbes:

Lap cats are good for mental health, ergo your purchase was one of wellness as opposed to GAS.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:03 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
friendship wrote:

Lap cats are good for mental health, ergo your purchase was one of wellness as opposed to GAS.

Can't wait to write it off as a medical expense! [immediately gets audited]

;)
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:25 pm

Just got a 3Leaf Wonderlove Deluxe...but it was a trade. Still in bounds!!!
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:40 pm

And if I like my existing gear and want to keep it? What if I wanted to trade spare cash for it instead?

D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Velcro Bottom » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:43 pm

I went all out and bought the 3-pack of strings.

I am a madman.
Velcro Bottom

committed
committed

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:02 am

Velcro Bottom wrote:I went all out and bought the 3-pack of strings.

I am a madman.

How extravagant!!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:17 pm

Damnit.

Just agreed to buy a very cheap US Telecaster (the pickguard underneath will be on it, not the one with the mini humbucker)

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:57 pm

Went for some trades, but wasn't getting tons of bites...but got some cash offer so trading some pedals for cash that I can trade for other pedals and thus not technically buy any more new to me gear. 6 and one half a dozen....amirite?
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:43 am

cosmicevan wrote:Went for some trades, but wasn't getting tons of bites...but got some cash offer so trading some pedals for cash that I can trade for other pedals and thus not technically buy any more new to me gear. 6 and one half a dozen....amirite?

I think as long as you're happy and making music then whatever arrangement you come to with yourself to manage your collecting/acquiring/whatever is cool. I've not really felt the need to get anything additional (aside from a cassette recorder), but my issue is that despite that, I also have not been playing/making/recording much music. That was the intent of the challenge for me; to redirect my attention to using what I have instead of acquiring more. I seem to have successfully extinguished the GAS for the most part, but now need to get myself into the habit of just sitting down and regularly creating.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:45 pm

There was a great deal on a Boss RV-5 locally and I passed it up because my resolve is invincible. Why was I looking at gear on Craigslist in the first place? Mind your business, that's why.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:47 pm

friendship wrote:There was a great deal on a Boss RV-5 locally and I passed it up because my resolve is invincible. Why was I looking at gear on Craigslist in the first place? Mind your business, that's why.

I'm so proud of you.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby niftyprose » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:40 am

This thread made me think of something I read on the back of an album by last-century Scots acoustic duo The Corries.

The Corries were known for turning up at small venues with half a folk museum's worth of fretted and other instruments. Eventually Roy Williamson of the band got fed up with cramming 17 cases in his car and built two instruments he called 'combolins', which had multiple necks, sympathetic strings and The Whole Nine Yards in terms of performance capabilities.

The result, as he ruefully admitted in the sleeve notes, was that The Corries now carried 19 instruments to gigs.

Type "corries river" into YouTube if you want to hear how it worked out.

Over the last six months I've had a ridiculous amount of fun working out some of the Bach cello suites on a Martin LXM tenor, the cheap but now rather rare four-string version of the Ed Sheeran guitar, and I've started learning concertina on an East German instrument that turned up in the local classifieds. Not sure if I'll actually manage to sell off anything expensive, tho.

Best, NP.
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear