Used OP-1 or Syntakt

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Used OP-1 or Syntakt

Postby 01010111 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:36 am

I have no reason to want anything, but I really want to get a new thing. The part of my setup that’s lacking is a portable-ish all-in-one, fun, music box. The OP-Z is fun, but I don’t like trying to memorize the advanced functions. I don’t use it regularly. So, trying to remember the secondary functions is a pain. So, I think replacing that with something with a screen would best scratch my current GAS itch?

The Syntakt has been calling to me for months. I think what will annoy me the most is how difficult it’ll be to record melodic sequences on it relative to what I’m used to. Other than that, it seems like it could be a lot of fun. It also seems like it could be a lot of fun to use in conjunction with a couple of other synths and route them through its fx tracks.

Today I realized the og OP-1 goes for about the same price used. So, now I have a quandary. Which one of these is going to be more fun to use. I’m thinking the Syntakt would be more useful given my dawless lifestyle. There are three things that worry me about the OP-1

-if I understand correctly, it can only support one project at a time? Does that mean I have to export/erase the current project and then build a new one from scratch? Like, I can’t have several projects saved and switch between them live if I want to?
-the support from the company seems completely non-existent.
-it looks like it would be hard to sync with anything that’s not a Teenage Engineering product.

Are my fears about the OP-1 well founded? Would the melodic sequencing on the Syntakt completely frustrate me?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Used OP-1 or Syntakt

Postby cantremember » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:54 pm

Don't have any experience with the syntakt but everything you listed about the OP-1 is true. Fun little toy to play with on the couch but that was about it for me. I was also not very impressed with the build quality.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:09 pm

I am 100% nope on TE now (fill in the blank), but continue to be Elektron-curious, as always, though as a stand-alone I'm not sold on any of the 'Takt series, but any of one of 'em seem like an ideal brain/control hub for whatever small or large gear you may have to chain into it.

Also, I found this channel (which is essentially you-can-do-this-with-an-old-laptop-already-with-freeware solution everytime):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsNg2uIPs-o

I am still a bit cheesed that Elektron keeps paring down their older flagship models into smaller versions, though, but I dunno if I'd ever drop 2k on a souped-up 'Takt or RYTHM machine, either.... :?:

However, if they ever collaborated with a big synth maker (Roland, Nord, Zom T'oberheim) for a tasty many thousand dollar device that could possibly do-it-all I might.... :erm:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:13 pm

Based on TE product releases the last few years, combined with their customer service track record, it really makes me want to buy anything but TE. That said, I don’t feel that way when it comes to buying their used gear. But the limitations on the OP-1 make it extremely unappealing for what I do.

About ten years ago I tried getting into using a DAW for synth stuff. At the time I couldn’t afford anything more than the entry-level Ableton and a basic midi controller, and I quickly became frustrated with the limitations and the learning curve. So, I swore off trying to do anything with DAWs. I know 90% of what I do musically can be done with much more flexibility with a DAW, free plugins, and a five year old laptop. But because I’ve never done that, I’m happy just recording my stuff to cassettes, mastering the final version onto a reel-to-reel, and never releasing anything for anyone else to listen to. There are a few things I’d like to do that I think would be easier with a DAW, but at this point I don’t want learn how to use a DAW and buy the i/o for my laptop.

One of the problems I have with Elektron is they seem to intentionally cripple their lower-price devices. With the fx channels and external inputs, it would only make sense to include side-chain as an effect on the syntakt. Why do they have a chord sequencer, but no way to input notes polyphonically? Why did the Model Samples not have a proper ADSR and direct sampling? Their higher-price devices do so much that they are completely unappealing. They feel like buying cable: paying a lot of money to get the handful of things I actually want, and a ton of stuff I don’t care about.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:27 am

Have to admit I'd been defensive of TE's pricing of the new op-1 until I saw this: https://teenage.engineering/store/cotto ... ovspzrevsp

Now I'm also

coupleonapkins wrote:100% nope on TE now

Yeah, fuck TE.

Have nothing to offer regarding the Syntakt, sorry.

About DAWs: As someone who has dived into using the computer for music creation, I can say that when it is all working, I have a lot of fun. The positives of it are that it is flexible. If I decide I want to sequence an effect to turn off at beats 5,11, 19 and 23, there are many ways to do this and I don't have to shop for additional hardware, buy that hardware, wait for it to arrive, make space for it, cable it, then figure out this isn't working for me, list the hardware, sell it, ship it, shop for new hardware etc etc etc. I do however have to research the many ways to do this and try them out one by one until I find the method that suits my DAW and workflow the best. A lot of rabbit holes, a lot of time sinks, a lot of time not in the act of music creation.

So I can certainly see the appeal of an all-in-one compact device that is its own limited universe and living in it.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:12 am

Instead of the Syntakt you might consider the Digitakt.
I have it (as well as the Digitone), and it's a wonderful machine! Plus you can also use it as a synth to, it you use single wave samples!
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby 01010111 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:03 am

That’s a good suggestion, but I’ve already owned and hated the digitakt. I hated digging through the sample library to make sounds. That was one of the big reasons why I sold it: digging through samples is not fun to me. I’m also not convinced the same thing won’t happen again with the syntakt. But I have hope that tweaking the individual engines will be more fun than digging through samples.

The digitone only has 4 tracks, so, it would probably struggle to be the fun groovebox I’m looking for. If I really wanted to dive deep on FM it might make a good option.

The syntakt has definitely won at this point, I’m just hesitant because it’s expensive

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:44 pm

I've seen it mentioned on the elektron forum that Thomann has em for a pretty decent price but I can't confirm this as I haven't looked at the price myself.

Have you considered the sp404mk2? I have one and it's easily my favorite piece of hardware and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a elektron fan boi. The new update really put it on another level.
cantremember

Postby 01010111 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:45 pm

I received the Syntakt last night. My first impression is the “machines” on the Syntakt are a lot more fun to tweak than sample selection/tweaking was on the Digitakt. Also, making any pitched sequences seems to be really hard if you’re just using step-edit mode, but I haven’t really “learned the elektron workflow” yet. So, that could be user error. It was fun sitting on my couch making beepboops while watching shows last night, though. So far I’m really happy I didn’t choose the OP-1

Thanks for the tip about Thomann! The difference in price was almost exactly enough to cover import charges I was hit with. So, it worked out perfectly!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:16 am

I'm just seeing this and I'm interested in seeing how the Syntakt grows on you.
I was looking for a little portable beat thing to play with in the car on a family trip and I settled on the Novation Circuit Rhythm. Syntakt doesn't have a battery, right? It seemed less portable than what I was hoping for.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:57 am

I have a four day weekend this weekend. So, I’ll make a video review as my weekend project. At the very least I’ll type a full review

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 am

01010111 wrote:I received the Syntakt last night. My first impression is the “machines” on the Syntakt are a lot more fun to tweak than sample selection/tweaking was on the Digitakt. Also, making any pitched sequences seems to be really hard if you’re just using step-edit mode, but I haven’t really “learned the elektron workflow” yet. So, that could be user error. It was fun sitting on my couch making beepboops while watching shows last night, though. So far I’m really happy I didn’t choose the OP-1

Thanks for the tip about Thomann! The difference in price was almost exactly enough to cover import charges I was hit with. So, it worked out perfectly!

Yeah I find with Elektrons for making pitches sequences quickly it's pretty much essential to play them in live record mode then edit to modify things slightly or if you don't nail it. The step by step method is soooooo slow. Personally I find this not to be a problem as I prefer playing the melody anyway, and the live record + quantise works very very well, but YMMV
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 01010111 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Here’s my video review. The only thing I didn’t really mention was how warm it gets. It can get a little toasty if you’re playing with it on your lap for an hour or more. The chord machines are also a little funky to use. It’s difficult to get them to play nice in the key/scale you’re using, and getting the correct chord for your key requires parameter locking. So, it’s easier to just use an external device for chords.

https://youtu.be/3kGJF73oD1s

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear