https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Re: State of the (evil?) filter: 2022 !

Postby frodog » Tue May 10, 2022 3:59 pm

What about that new DBA Germanium Filter? Seems like a more user friendly and less extreme version of the Evil Filter? Possibly unpopular opinion; I've never been that interested in the big-box DBAs.

Also I can confirm the Xerograph DLX will pierce ears and shred speakers. I blew out the original 12" element in a Randall RG-60 by wallowing in its delicious sub bass oscillation. When you dial it in juuust right it sounds amazing, but definitely be VERY careful with that resonance knob.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 10, 2022 4:08 pm

threadjack - frodogs note about speaker damage brings back a constant question for me - for filter junkies, what, if anything, are you using as a limiter to avoid some of that damage?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Tue May 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Just don't ever turn the res past 3 o'clock? :lol:

I do have an LS-2 with the Accountant in one of the loops, could for instance patch the filter in there before always-on compressor.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 pm

:lol: yeah, prevention is always a good strategy....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Tue May 10, 2022 10:49 pm

The Prometheus DLX from Subdecay is one of the more eclectic filters, and it has EXP control. They're about $250 used right now. The V2 (black knobs) has more headroom, and I think less noise.

I'm not sure what the current situation is with Triungulo Lab, but the Barbanera puts a lot of the hidden CV functions of the 101 at your fingertips. They're about 300 EU, though, and currently backordered.

https://www.triungulolab.com/home/20-barbanera.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOGtcSnWV9U

Staying in Italy, the Mastro Valvola - OFF1 combines an octave fuzz with a Moog-style ladder filter. That can probably give you more grit and growl than an Evil.

Lastly, if you want the most bang for your buck (and all kinds of modulation), the GFI Synesthesia has sample & hold, formant, envelope, various rhythmic/arp settings, slow volume, and a lot more. (+it has stereo, EXP, and a 2nd layer, so you could combine other effects with your filtering, or layer your filters for more dynamic movement)
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Wed May 11, 2022 3:55 am

frodog wrote:What about that new DBA Germanium Filter? Seems like a more user friendly and less extreme version of the Evil Filter? Possibly unpopular opinion; I've never been that interested in the big-box DBAs.

I still love dba. The Germanium filter is rather a dirt box, from the demos I've watched, and apparently a very good one. No exp pedal. So it's a filter as in "extended EQ", but not a LPF.
As a side note, I've had too many bad surprises with germanium, with the tone collapsing at the worst moment live, I'm trying to stay away from that, though I love the dirt tones I'm hearing from this dba pedal.

frodog wrote:Also I can confirm the Xerograph DLX will pierce ears and shred speakers. I blew out the original 12" element in a Randall RG-60 by wallowing in its delicious sub bass oscillation. When you dial it in juuust right it sounds amazing, but definitely be VERY careful with that resonance knob.

wow...
Could someone confirm this: it seems that the speaker/ear shredding can happen with an Env filter mostly? Meaning LPF or LFO filters are safer?

echorec wrote:
Staying in Italy, the Mastro Valvola - OFF1 combines an octave fuzz with a Moog-style ladder filter. That can probably give you more grit and growl than an Evil.

Lastly, if you want the most bang for your buck (and all kinds of modulation), the GFI Synesthesia has sample & hold, formant, envelope, various rhythmic/arp settings, slow volume, and a lot more. (+it has stereo, EXP, and a 2nd layer, so you could combine other effects with your filtering, or layer your filters for more dynamic movement)

Oh yeah, I've watched a couple of demos of the Mastro. Very tempting. But I was even more impressed with Dreadbox Disorder...
GFI synesthesia, probably a great pedal, but I gave up on menu diving pedals, not for me!
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Thu May 12, 2022 3:19 am

So I have a Dusk in the mail!

I talked with someone who could build a ms-20 filter for me. It turned out his advice was that they were best used with a PA or a bass amp, cos it might be too much to take for a guitar amp, freq-wise. Since I can't try one before buying... so that option is on hold for now.
I'll see if the Dusk fits the bill, and I might go for a Dreadbox as well once they're available in France.
To be continued...
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 12, 2022 6:44 am

noice! report back on that Dusk...feels like it should be more of a thing here :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Christophe, i know you've made a move - how's that Dusk, btw? - but i'ma drop this thing in hear for general consideration, seems on topic:

https://coastsonic.com/products/ac-noises-urla-fuzz
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Fri May 20, 2022 7:41 pm

Dandolin wrote:Christophe, i know you've made a move - how's that Dusk, btw? - but i'ma drop this thing in hear for general consideration, seems on topic:

https://coastsonic.com/products/ac-noises-urla-fuzz

Hey! Sorry, I only spent an hour or so with Dusk, and then had to leave for a week on tour. I'll be back at it early next week and report then.
For now, I would say Dusk is a nice all rounder filter. It can do a lot on its own, without the help of an exp pedal, thanks to the 3 modes and 2 footswitches. I have to spend more time with it. I just paired it with a Lal 46 and a Bixonic, and it was ok, but I didn't find the "dramatic" filter sweeps I was looking for. I need to find the right fuzz to go with it.
Which had me thinking about the Dreadbox disorder again, the price is rather low, I like the demos, and the fact that the lpf and hpf are regrouped on the range of only one knob, allows for deep dives. Could be closer to what I'm looking, except you can't have the filter without the fuzz...
Thanks for dropping this urla, I'll look into it!
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm

Dandolin wrote:threadjack - frodogs note about speaker damage brings back a constant question for me - for filter junkies, what, if anything, are you using as a limiter to avoid some of that damage?

https://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20liberty-1.htm
:yay:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Sat May 21, 2022 5:31 pm

:lol: :thumb:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sun May 22, 2022 1:23 pm

vidret wrote:
frodog wrote:Also I can confirm the Xerograph DLX will pierce ears and shred speakers. I blew out the original 12" element in a Randall RG-60 by wallowing in its delicious sub bass oscillation. When you dial it in juuust right it sounds amazing, but definitely be VERY careful with that resonance knob.

:lol: that's too funny, sorry. Using it before a dirt pedal or into a some gain on the amp should compress things enough, no?
I've had no issues with mine, but I don't use it much.

For MS-20 filters we're looking for screechy resonance things, I'd say have a look at different wahs as well. Just a LP won't quite get there, you need them both (so bandpass).

Don't be sorry, it was stupid of me 'cause I'm pretty sure there wasn't any dirt after it when it was oscillating. But that Randall has a hefty Eminence speaker now so it's fine.

I think people are underestimating how loud the Xerograph DLX can get though. Granted I have the first version with 5 knobs and one footswitch (bought direct from Taylor), and the newest version I believe is less extreme, maybe it has been tamed so as not to blow spkrs, idk. I don't see any warning in the manual, but the original should absolutely have one. In fact every musician who plays big venues with this on their board should be put on a watchlist as a possible public health hazard, 'cause I would not want to be in the audience as this thing blasts out a brown note thru a gargantuan PA. (feds don't add me I don't tour)

But yeah, just use it as a regular filter and not as a weapon you should be alright.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Mon May 23, 2022 8:27 am

Ac Noises put out this new fuzz with a MS20 HP+LP filter inside: the URLA fuzz!
Cool thing is that fuzz and filter have separated switch, so that you can engage them both of separately. Pedal chain is fixed: Fuzz into filter.
https://www.acnoises.com/pedals/30-urla.html
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear