What happened to Smallsound/Bigsound?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What happened to Smallsound/Bigsound?

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:09 pm

Oh well, good thing there is this mint specimen on offer for only a little over $400usd…

https://reverb.com/item/53065174-smalls ... t=53065174
Attachments
FD35078C-3130-4934-9813-7817BF15518E.jpeg
FD35078C-3130-4934-9813-7817BF15518E.jpeg (168.28 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby voerking » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:01 pm

i keep seeing these crazily priced listings, but are they actually selling?
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:36 pm

voerking wrote:i keep seeing these crazily priced listings, but are they actually selling?

Not necessarily selling for prices as high as that one Fuck is listed for, but selling for big $$ and super fast. Minis in particular seem to be going quickly.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:12 pm

Wonder if this is the one that was sold here in BST a few days ago for $100 less.

https://reverb.com/item/53125694-smalls ... zz-machine
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:09 pm

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Eristic » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:Image

National Geographic Mini w/ Top Jacks - $249 local pickup / MGR (Kenosha, WI) :eek:

And this one is now on TGP for $320. Should start a registry.
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:46 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm

vibey :/
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Is Emo House like the opposite of Twinkie House?
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby the_carl » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Found a reddit post on clones, returning, covid etc. from a month ago while trying to see if Brian had posted anything anywhere lately: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/u5uqg1/psa_brian_of_smallsoundbigsound_is_not_okay_with/i5ityz9/?context=3

hey all. i can see that there are a lot of emotions surrounding this thread and figured i would chime in to try and answer any questions, etc. as much as i don't particularly like the wording of the thread, it is what it is - after all, i don't think any small brand/builder appreciates anyone cloning their pedals, especially when the pedals are not themselves direct clones of anything.

ok first, why have i taken a break from pedals? i have been doing ss/bs as a one-man-operation for over a decade now (besides a small stint where i had some help from a friend) and when covid hit i went to a weird headspace as it seems many other people did. i was already feeling a bit burned out in general, having feelings of imposter syndrome and my screenprinter that i worked with for many years decided to throw in the towel which was a real bummer. i wanted a little break to recalibrate and work on some new projects and then covid happened and subsequently i got pretty depressed and retreated from things. i also moved my house and workspace during covid, had to do a lot of renovation work and was shut down for long periods of time simply due to not having time.

was any of this a smart business decision? absolutely not! but it just sort of happened.

am i returning to the business? yes definitely! i wish i could provide an accurate timeline but i simply cannot at this moment as there are lots of moving parts to running an operation larger than putting out a handful of pedals at a time.

when the op contacted me, i was honest and open about my feelings and for full transparency i can share the entire exchange if anyone needs to see it. i have been into diy and the community for almost 20 years now (fuck) and i've always felt more or less the same way - which is that selling clones of small manufacturers' work felt bad to me. let me be clear as well, i'm 100% for diy and feel like cloning is totally fine in general but have my own moral/ethical line that i am not interested in crossing and simply let the op know that. for everyone commenting on the legality of this situation, you're absolutely right that i can't stop them from selling anything unless they are stealing trade dress or directly copying artwork.

as for the other comments here about the community ambient track that i ghosted u/slap_me_thrice
- i truly apologize for that. i sincerely wanted to do the project but it was really stupid timing on my part as i was insanely busy at the time and sometimes have a hard time saying no to something after saying yes - obviously to a fault. understandably this upset people but all i can really say is that i'm only human and made a mistake. u/wonderyak
i don't understand how i ruined the community for 2 years but nonetheless deeply apologize for my fuck up.

i already apologized/talked to u/BoneslyGrifter
via dm about the secret santa (months ago actually) but it was a similar anxiety-laden situation - certainly not an excuse but i'm a person who fucks things up sometimes.

just to get my other faults out there - i'm insanely behind on responding to general emails so if you have written me for any reason at all and i didn't respond, please don't take it personally and i deeply apologize for that as well.

i'll try to respond to all of the comments in this thread where it makes sense.
the_carl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:12 pm

Good post, the_carl, thank you. :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:01 pm

the_carl wrote:Found a reddit post on clones, returning, covid etc. from a month ago while trying to see if Brian had posted anything anywhere lately: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/u5uqg1/psa_brian_of_smallsoundbigsound_is_not_okay_with/i5ityz9/?context=3

hey all. i can see that there are a lot of emotions surrounding this thread and figured i would chime in to try and answer any questions, etc. as much as i don't particularly like the wording of the thread, it is what it is - after all, i don't think any small brand/builder appreciates anyone cloning their pedals, especially when the pedals are not themselves direct clones of anything.

ok first, why have i taken a break from pedals? i have been doing ss/bs as a one-man-operation for over a decade now (besides a small stint where i had some help from a friend) and when covid hit i went to a weird headspace as it seems many other people did. i was already feeling a bit burned out in general, having feelings of imposter syndrome and my screenprinter that i worked with for many years decided to throw in the towel which was a real bummer. i wanted a little break to recalibrate and work on some new projects and then covid happened and subsequently i got pretty depressed and retreated from things. i also moved my house and workspace during covid, had to do a lot of renovation work and was shut down for long periods of time simply due to not having time.

was any of this a smart business decision? absolutely not! but it just sort of happened.

am i returning to the business? yes definitely! i wish i could provide an accurate timeline but i simply cannot at this moment as there are lots of moving parts to running an operation larger than putting out a handful of pedals at a time.

when the op contacted me, i was honest and open about my feelings and for full transparency i can share the entire exchange if anyone needs to see it. i have been into diy and the community for almost 20 years now (fuck) and i've always felt more or less the same way - which is that selling clones of small manufacturers' work felt bad to me. let me be clear as well, i'm 100% for diy and feel like cloning is totally fine in general but have my own moral/ethical line that i am not interested in crossing and simply let the op know that. for everyone commenting on the legality of this situation, you're absolutely right that i can't stop them from selling anything unless they are stealing trade dress or directly copying artwork.

as for the other comments here about the community ambient track that i ghosted u/slap_me_thrice
- i truly apologize for that. i sincerely wanted to do the project but it was really stupid timing on my part as i was insanely busy at the time and sometimes have a hard time saying no to something after saying yes - obviously to a fault. understandably this upset people but all i can really say is that i'm only human and made a mistake. u/wonderyak
i don't understand how i ruined the community for 2 years but nonetheless deeply apologize for my fuck up.

i already apologized/talked to u/BoneslyGrifter
via dm about the secret santa (months ago actually) but it was a similar anxiety-laden situation - certainly not an excuse but i'm a person who fucks things up sometimes.

just to get my other faults out there - i'm insanely behind on responding to general emails so if you have written me for any reason at all and i didn't respond, please don't take it personally and i deeply apologize for that as well.

i'll try to respond to all of the comments in this thread where it makes sense.

Yikes. Sucks to hear Brian is getting some flak. Exciting to hear him talk about returning to building tho!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:08 am

Great to hear Brian is alive & getting weller peter bless it all :joy:

L'il chuffed that's he's stuck in a reddit loop tho (ILF: still friendly and not ronnie james dio-A, as far as I can tell?) :?:

We are not Coverdale....we just want our boi Brian back :cry:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:42 am

Bri is posting on reddit. Maybe he'll soon be down with the ILFness? There's hope!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:44 am

goroth wrote:Bri is posting on reddit. Maybe he'll soon be down with the ILFness? There's hope!

That would be awesome!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear