Red Panda - Raster 2 (it's a small dual delay ya'll)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Red Panda - Raster 2 (it's a small dual delay ya'll)

Postby taco satori » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:53 am

Awesome, I was waiting for someone to start a dedicated thread!

Things I’ve been chasing:

* using modulation on the Amplitude to get sort of in the ballpark of what I use the Judder for: shearing ducked short delay stuff. It has a muted bypass option so that it’s always listening.
* using the freq shift to get ring mod-y stuff like Arcing Prisms, Feber, etc.

I wish the presets would remember your bypass switch position for when you want to go between say Trails and the muted bypass option. Small quibble. 4 presets seems small for what this can do so I’m starting to think about ways I can store more.
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:50 pm

appreciate this write-up on a pedal I had considered a write-off because it just looked like it was for glitchy or pitch weirdness things which is very rarely my bag.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby manymanyhaha » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:44 pm

Yeah, me three
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby taco satori » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 pm

vidret wrote: I sort of like that there's only 4 presets, scrolling endless lists isn't that fun - you can have a zillion presets with the editor but I haven't looked into it. I'm unsure whether I'll use the editor for anything besides making a 3200 ms mode where I can do maximum reverse delay.

Presets changing the switches for you could very quickly turn into a goddamned mess á la where the fuck am I, so I'm sort of happy they don't do that.
But I'll be honest I haven't messed much with presets and I'm not big on presets either way, I just tweak and leave stuff.
So far I was thinking I'll save one reverse delay preset, two flangy/phasery/swirly one and one simply good sounding delay.

Yeah having the limited built-in preset slots is nice as far as avoiding options paralysis! I'm not an endless setting scroller type and am kinda closer to your tweak-and-leave approach, more into finding a couple shortcuts to facilitate a performance (not that I'm playing live atm). I know the Tensor has the switch setting tied to presets but on 2nd thought the Raster might be a rough go if it was the same. I have yet to try using it with a Remote4, that might be nice to be able to toggle presets on and then back to live settings with the double-tap.

vidret wrote:Big shoutout to the trem mode actually, having two delays slightly offset with two trems changing them both in the feedback loop gives a LOT of movement to a signal. It sounds like a lot but you just gotta tweak two or three knobs to offset the delay times and mod rate or depth.

YES that is a great thing to have! Having some movement like you said helps liven up the delay experience for sure. I did start off knob twiddling, got lost after about a week or two, then just recently started using the web editor and was better able to hunt for various settings. I might be the type of person who's less intimidated by that approach to UI than the secondary knob approach.
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:09 am

So you can modulate anything?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:35 pm

Sounds really exciting! I had given up on finding something that could mimic the delay in ReNoise but this has crazy potential! Just need more taps...
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 am

Most excellent writeup(s) vidret, can't wait to check it out, it seems exactly what i want it to be (even a lot more)!
I am more in the freq-shifting side of it, and the fact that it can have two delay lines with independent filter and shifting controls -even in mono- is really something. I watched a bunch of demos and non of them explores the noisy/ring moddish side of it, but i went through the manual and it seems to be made exactly for that. This one and a pt2399 is gonna be a hell of a combo on my future board.

:snax:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:38 am

fak. Comes at the exact wrong moment, but I now want one. Bad. Thanks a lot :no:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:38 am

I'm reading the manual now. It does frequency shifting too?!?!?!?! :drool:
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:56 am

came here to say they had me at frequency shiftin' :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:20 am

qersty wrote:I'm reading the manual now. It does frequency shifting too?!?!?!?! :drool:

YES :love:
I am already planning a signal chain with this, Feber, and Bitquest in Ring Mod reverb mode.

ALL.
THE.
BELLS.

doesn't get more Christmas spirit than that.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby taco satori » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah the OG Raster was a true sleeper pedal, from the looks of it. I haven’t played thru one but I was super intrigued by it years ago. Knobs showcased it recently in his “all my other pedals I own” video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfGY24c_-0&t=113
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:19 pm

I'm pretty enamored with the Raster v2. I've been binging on pedals this year and nothing has caught my imagination like the Raster 2. I just keep coming back to it. The layout is awesome and the capabilities are awesome. I have yet to dive in on MIDI, but it only gets better.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:33 am

cosmicevan wrote:I'm pretty enamored with the Raster v2. I've been binging on pedals this year and nothing has caught my imagination like the Raster 2. I just keep coming back to it. The layout is awesome and the capabilities are awesome. I have yet to dive in on MIDI, but it only gets better.

Please let me hear what midi can do with it! I think having momentary switches to change settings would be incredibly fun!
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:46 pm

qersty wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:I'm pretty enamored with the Raster v2. I've been binging on pedals this year and nothing has caught my imagination like the Raster 2. I just keep coming back to it. The layout is awesome and the capabilities are awesome. I have yet to dive in on MIDI, but it only gets better.

Please let me hear what midi can do with it! I think having momentary switches to change settings would be incredibly fun!

I'm thinking I will replace the Particle 2 with the Raster 2 on my board. MIDI gives you TONS of presets but also lets you twist knobs via expression pedals or cc commands for pre-determined jumps. It essentially lets you have on the table knob twisting functionality at your feet while you play...I'm super impressed with MIDI on the Particle and Tensor, on the Context I use just presets. The editors are pretty awesome.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear