Weird/unconventional phasers?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Weird/unconventional phasers?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:58 am

Let's list some phaser pedals that go beyond the classic SmallStone/Phase90 concept.

Not just asking out of boredom, I've been wanting to add a phaser to my board for a while now. But though the FX20 was great at doing the normal small stone style swoosh thing, I lacked envelope/step modes or other goodies you find on some new digital phaser effects. Not that I know a lot of examples or anything, which is kinda the whole point of this thread.

I've had my eye on the OBNE Dweller ever since it came out, but I haven't been able to find a good deal for a used one. Seems awesome that it seems like a delay and phaser are fused together or something. Any other builders/brands that have a similar innovative phaser pedlol I should take a look at, something that goes further than even the Boss PH-3? :snax:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Weird/unconventional phasers?

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 am

If you find a good optocoupler phaser, please, let me know. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Pepe » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:09 am

I had one of these a few years ago:

It has a great bunch of awesome features, but I didn't like the sound at all.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:44 am

Digitech phasers, Ibanez Tonelok and 10 series. Pigtronix, Tc Electronics, Mu-tron if anyone makes a fair-priced clone
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:23 am

I’ve bought and sold two whetstones - I love the idea of a weird phaser, but it was too much phaser for me. It’s seriously great. I never had an application for it. I bet a used one could be had for…. a reasonable price? :idk:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 am

The Wombtone MKII produces the weirdest phaser sounds I've heard. The Quasar DLX (purple V1) does some interesting stuff rhythmically. I haven't used the V2.

The Cusack Tap-a-Phase can get quite out there (vowel groans, laser stutters, hypnotic throbs). Those would be my top-3 recommendations for people targeting more exotic sounds from a phaser.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 pm

I want to hear an 8-stage Univibe.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:42 am

echorec wrote:The Wombtone MKII produces the weirdest phaser sounds I've heard. The Quasar DLX (purple V1) does some interesting stuff rhythmically. I haven't used the V2.

Good call. Top jacks, expression input, tap tempo, 12 different wave shapes,... :eek:
Not sure about the Wombtone. Powerfull as fuck I'm sure, but even if I wanted that much on a phaser...those 16 dip switches at the back are just ridiculous imo :p
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Scruffie » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 am

frigid midget wrote:Let's list some phaser pedals that go beyond the classic SmallStone/Phase90 concept.

Not just asking out of boredom, I've been wanting to add a phaser to my board for a while now. But though the FX20 was great at doing the normal small stone style swoosh thing, I lacked envelope/step modes or other goodies you find on some new digital phaser effects. Not that I know a lot of examples or anything, which is kinda the whole point of this thread.

I've had my eye on the OBNE Dweller ever since it came out, but I haven't been able to find a good deal for a used one. Seems awesome that it seems like a delay and phaser are fused together or something. Any other builders/brands that have a similar innovative phaser pedlol I should take a look at, something that goes further than even the Boss PH-3? :snax:

Chankgeez wrote:If you find a good optocoupler phaser, please, let me know. :snax:

Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby qersty » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:03 am

Scruffie wrote:
frigid midget wrote:Let's list some phaser pedals that go beyond the classic SmallStone/Phase90 concept.

Chankgeez wrote:If you find a good optocoupler phaser, please, let me know. :snax:

is the RI as good?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Scruffie » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am

qersty wrote:
Scruffie wrote:

is the RI as good?

I've never played it, but it's a totally different design, the original has 6 swept optical phase stages (and 2 fixed) but from gut shots the new units only have 4 swept stages (and an unknown number of fixed).

For better or worse :idk:
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am

Scruffie wrote:Image

:thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am

I've not used the Synestesia, but it has a S&H mode, along with a standard and an envelope mode. (2/4/6/8 stages) In the ARP section, there's also a phaser mode. Counting the Uni-Vibe, that's 5 modes with possibly more to come in future updates.

https://f7505ab3-e646-434d-8a90-f782e27 ... db61c7.pdf

Considering the scarcity of the V1 Quasar DLX, you might also try the Prometheus DLX and then pair it with a meat-and-potatoes phaser. You could get all kinds of filtered rhythms and then color them with phaser on the back end.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pm

I had a Poly Phase once. Turns out I prefer sticking with one partner.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear