Has anyone played both? Devi ever shoegazer and Mae maybe.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Has anyone played both? Devi ever shoegazer and Mae maybe.

Postby Yadig » Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 am

Has anyone played or owner a shoegazer and mask audio maybe?

I like the octave stuff the maybe does but it's been out of stock for two years it seems. I've been trying to get it since the beginning of the pandemic. I'm not trying to complain but it is difficult to procure.

I have owned the two switch soda meiser in the past. It was the third pedal I owned and I can't remember anything because I used to record nothing and improvize live. I can buy the shoegazer pretty easily but the maybe sounds great in demos.

Can someone recommend one over the other? Are they both big muffs or is the maybe a super fuzz? Can someone recommend something they prefer over both that's in stock? Thank you.

Looking for that massive wall of sound stuff. I play more Arab on radar than shoegaze stuff but I like it too.

Cij jaguar into vintage fender amps. I use a heatsaw from laowiz and a bitquest and I'm looking for something huge and aggressive.
Yadig

involved
involved

Re: Has anyone played both? Devi ever shoegazer and Mae mayb

Postby moid » Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 pm

I don't know the Maybe pedal (although it does sound fun!), but the Devi Soda Meiser isn't a big muff at all (circuit wise)... the big muff is much more controlled and smoother... even with circuit bending it doesn't really do a ripping fuzz sound like the Maybe does. If you can get the version of the Soda Meiser that is called the Noise Floor, that can do much more destroyed sounds than the original soda meiser. If you really want to destroy your audience with a devi ever pedal, I would recommend the Destructo Noctavia :)

moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Yadig » Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks. I remember reading somewhere it was a simplified big muff. Thanks for correcting me. I'm mostly looking at the maybe and shoegazer because I could theoretically get them under 200 dollars which is my budget. I finished grad school and wanted to get myself a lil sumtin sumtin nicey.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby coupleonapkins » Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm

The MAE Yes! half of the Maybe? is still out there at the moment (though strangely enough, not many No!'s to speak of)? :trippy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XjwSTLNVDY

Alec has said that the Maybe should return by the year's end, but he also has lots of other projects he's working on, too :joy:

If the Shoegazer (a Torn's Peaker in to a Soda Meiser) is what you're looking for, I can only suggest stacking two fuzzes with different characteristics for a similar sound, but I know having them in one box (like the Maybe?) would be nice, too.
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Yadig » Sun May 23, 2021 8:21 pm

The maybe is my first choice. I had a two switch soda meiser before and sold it in an act of stupidity. It was the only dirt pedal in my rig at the time and I couldn't produce anything more than light amp dirt. Foolish mistake.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby manymanyhaha » Sun May 23, 2021 8:27 pm

My Soda Meiser was definitely muff-ish, in a wonderful way. A bit like the Frantone Sweet, it had a sweet spot and never budged from it.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Yadig » Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 pm

Yeah, I remember mine having muff characteristics. I liked it but now I'm curious when I can possibly get a maybe.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed May 26, 2021 5:26 pm

what's up I actually have two MAYBE's lol. One from the December run and another made during the winter that is a surface mount prototype version. If you're interested in the proto, feel free to send me a PM! I can break down the slight change in voicing but its virtually the same in terms of how it reacts to your playing.

The MAYBE is ultimately more punishing and destructive than the Shoegazer in terms of obliterating the input signal. It's playing a lot more with gates, oscillation, and noise interrupting your playing. Out of any oscillating/gated/freako fuzz I have laid hands on the Maybe is the most easily controllable in terms of knowing how to manipulate your guitar, playing techniques, distance from the amp, etc to get what you want. I find I know when it'll give me oscillation, be gated, or feedback depending on how I set it. The way it interacts with your playing really is what sells the Maybe for me. Also, Alec lives like a half hour from me and each time he has come over we really bond over stacking two ridiculous pedals to get wild signals. He and I share a similar curiosity in that regard and it definitely comes through and is apparent when stacking the Yes and No sides.

The Shoegazer is much more unbridled. The Torn's Peaker is my personal favorite devi ever circuit. It just plain rips. Aggressive, feedback, textural, can be chord friendly, has a synthy texture on single notes. Torn's Peaker is a fuzz in the sense that it is an extremely busted and aggressive sounding overdrive. Really easy to get feedback. Soda Meiser has that signature gooey octavia and scrambled quality. The main difference overall in contrast to the Maybe is the lack of a gate in the Torn's Peaker side and mild gate on the SM side. It'll likely be noisy if on and not playing.

In short, they both fuck up and fuzz out your signal in a variety of ways. But the MAYBE feels like I am in control, the shoegazer makes me feel out of control. both are useful in their own way. From my experience I would also argue that, without adjustments to your set up, the MAYBE is going to standout easier in a mix while the shoegazer could be more easily buried, at least in a typical noisy rock adjacent band setting.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby MaxMaps » Wed May 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:what's up I actually have two MAYBE's lol. One from the December run and another made during the winter that is a surface mount prototype version. If you're interested in the proto, feel free to send me a PM! I can break down the slight change in voicing but its virtually the same in terms of how it reacts to your playing.

The MAYBE is ultimately more punishing and destructive than the Shoegazer in terms of obliterating the input signal. It's playing a lot more with gates, oscillation, and noise interrupting your playing. Out of any oscillating/gated/freako fuzz I have laid hands on the Maybe is the most easily controllable in terms of knowing how to manipulate your guitar, playing techniques, distance from the amp, etc to get what you want. I find I know when it'll give me oscillation, be gated, or feedback depending on how I set it. The way it interacts with your playing really is what sells the Maybe for me. Also, Alec lives like a half hour from me and each time he has come over we really bond over stacking two ridiculous pedals to get wild signals. He and I share a similar curiosity in that regard and it definitely comes through and is apparent when stacking the Yes and No sides.

The Shoegazer is much more unbridled. The Torn's Peaker is my personal favorite devi ever circuit. It just plain rips. Aggressive, feedback, textural, can be chord friendly, has a synthy texture on single notes. Torn's Peaker is a fuzz in the sense that it is an extremely busted and aggressive sounding overdrive. Really easy to get feedback. Soda Meiser has that signature gooey octavia and scrambled quality. The main difference overall in contrast to the Maybe is the lack of a gate in the Torn's Peaker side and mild gate on the SM side. It'll likely be noisy if on and not playing.

In short, they both fuck up and fuzz out your signal in a variety of ways. But the MAYBE feels like I am in control, the shoegazer makes me feel out of control. both are useful in their own way. From my experience I would also argue that, without adjustments to your set up, the MAYBE is going to standout easier in a mix while the shoegazer could be more easily buried, at least in a typical noisy rock adjacent band setting.

Uncontrollable chaos is exactly the best way to describe any Devi Ever pedal - it's why I love them so much.

Someday I will have them again :omg:
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Fri May 28, 2021 12:37 am

The Maybe? is just a Yes and a No. There should be more before the year is out, follow Alec on instagram...he shares all the details. He's also here on occassion.
Last edited by cosmicevan on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sun May 30, 2021 10:43 am

There are two additional switching options on a Maybe that are not available on the Yes and No when you get them separately.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Yadig » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 am

Got the maybe from sweet prince ghost hip. I love it. Favorite fuzz pedal.
Yadig

involved
involved

Postby goroth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:49 pm

This thread makes me happy
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby AZX309 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:26 pm

oh hi, im a bit late as always. sorry :omg:

MAYBE? does not have any Muff DNA. You might be getting them confused with my Black Math or Titan pedals.

NO. and YES! where developed over the course of a year-ish to make the sounds of how my favorite devi pedals sound in my head. MAYBE? was then put together to maximize the stacking potential, to make them work together. The extra switch on each side are enhanced when running it threw the other.

At some point i will probably put out a version of YES that has that pll-ish sound as a stand alone. i think it will be called UGH!

I have the boards for the new batch. Whoismarykelly and Ghost hip both provided wonderful feedback on the SMD revisions. Its a little less extreme and has a bit less bass, they both described it as "more guitar like". This change is due to the power amp chip i like being discontinued. i still have some of the old ones on hand but i rather make this change for MAYBE? early in its lifecycle.

My entre production schedule was pushed back but, im aiming to have these out in August.
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby Yadig » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Sorry, should have clarified. I was saying the soda meiser side of the shoegazer reminded me of a stripped down big muff.
Yadig

involved
involved

Next

Return to General Gear