CLANG - Based on the Driving Notion - That's a wrap!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: CLANG - Based on the Driving Notion - NOW SHIPPING

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:52 pm

neonblack wrote:Everything sounds so dull and muddy when you turn it off.

This remains my experience. I'm kind of scared to use it thinking it must be doing some damage to my hearing.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:27 pm

It is pumping out a whole bundle of high frequency noise... So... yeah :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby qersty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:52 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:
neonblack wrote:Everything sounds so dull and muddy when you turn it off.

This remains my experience. I'm kind of scared to use it thinking it must be doing some damage to my hearing.

earplugs?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm

Just a quick further thought:

My sole complaint with the original DN was the lack of mids. Or at least the perceived lack of mids due to the super intense highs and lows. I tried so many things to correct this. I bought a Boneshaker and an EQ pedal and a couple other things just to fix it but none of them could handle the DN. But the top position on the Thick switch adds just enough upper mids to fill out the sound without taking anything else away from the fundamental sound.

Been using this with the in all the way down and the out all the way up. Highs and lows around 11 and mix around 1. Basically a nice weird clanky super low gain sound that I can build on in various ways. Run into a Fuck OD for a little more "normal" overdriven sound, and I hit it with a Surveyor for MAX CLANG. Surveyor into Clang is such a good metallic industrial sound.

Love this thing!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ianmarks » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:22 pm

neonblack wrote: Surveyor into Clang is such a good metallic industrial sound.

Love this thing!

I've got an IVP project on my short list. Looking forward to trying that combo.

FInal update posted in original post.
ianmarks

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:06 am

ianmarks wrote:

Love this thing!

I've got an IVP project on my short list. Looking forward to trying that combo.

FInal update posted in original post.

Laowiz built me one of these https://aionfx.com/project/isotope-amp-overdrive/
I swapped out two of the transistors for something else. Can't remember what though I could look if necessary. Sounds brilliant.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Re: CLANG - Based on the Driving Notion - That's a wrap!

Postby 3205 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:31 pm

I was lucky enough to get one of these. It's been a few years since I had my DN but I think CLANG gets both cleaner and fuzzier than the original. Thick switch is a brilliant addition. Excellent build.
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby ianmarks » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:46 pm

goroth wrote:Laowiz built me one of these https://aionfx.com/project/isotope-amp-overdrive/
I swapped out two of the transistors for something else. Can't remember what though I could look if necessary. Sounds brilliant.

Yep. That's the one. would definitely appreciate the transistor info if you get the time.

3205 wrote:I was lucky enough to get one of these. It's been a few years since I had my DN but I think CLANG gets both cleaner and fuzzier than the original. Thick switch is a brilliant addition. Excellent build.

Thanks! Glad you are happy with it!
ianmarks

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:19 am

One Clang in Neon Black arrived.

This thing is pretty amazing! I've been playing it all day with the input real low, low gain low, high gain high, mix towards the low, then stacked into another distortion. You get these almost baritone like booming lows with plenty of clank to keep it aggressive. Sounds sick. I'm not half the guitarist Duane Denison is, and he doesn't have much bass in his tone at all, but still... it gets that kind of clean but brutal sound to it that is brilliant.

Ian I'll check the transistors and get back to you here.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 am

You've compelled me to do some reorganizing. I'd been running my Surveyor at the end of the chain on the theory that it's meant to be a preamp but I never actually like the sound of any other fuzz going into it. It just loses all its character and gets compressed and fizzy. I'd been running the Clang at the beginning on the theory that it would be a good bright boost but I found that a lot of other things downstream would limit it and get rid of the thing it does so nicely. I swapped them and now I'm much happier.
Clang at the end makes everything sound better.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 am

I wasn't expecting it at all but i've been playing with Clang plus a bunch of other stuff the whole week and I realized I can't turn it off anymore, and I am dead serious.

It's just a matter of finding out if it's better to place a pedal before or after it, but it just makes everything better: it adds that amazing top end to pedals that were too dark, it pushes drives to their limits (Clang into Throat Locust is unbelievable), it makes fingerpicking shine almost like on an acoustic.. i'm so happy i jumped in on this even not having ever played the DN.

Straight into the top 3 dirt purchases of 2020/2021, and i've had many of those...

:omg:

goroth wrote: I've been playing it all day with the input real low, low gain low, high gain high, mix towards the low, then stacked into another distortion.

:group:
Same settings, but with an added slight dirt before. It slams. Jesus Lizard would he proud.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:57 am

Dowi wrote:I realized I can't turn it off anymore, and I am dead serious.

thats why i wanted to finally have this pedal finally traced, and why its been so hard not having it for over a year now. once you hear what it does (and if it clicks for what you play) then you can never unhear it.

welcome to the gang
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ianmarks » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:17 am

Dowi wrote:I wasn't expecting it at all but i've been playing with Clang plus a bunch of other stuff the whole week and I realized I can't turn it off anymore, and I am dead serious.

It's just a matter of finding out if it's better to place a pedal before or after it, but it just makes everything better: it adds that amazing top end to pedals that were too dark, it pushes drives to their limits (Clang into Throat Locust is unbelievable), it makes fingerpicking shine almost like on an acoustic.. i'm so happy i jumped in on this even not having ever played the DN.

Straight into the top 3 dirt purchases of 2020/2021, and i've had many of those...

:omg:

goroth wrote: I've been playing it all day with the input real low, low gain low, high gain high, mix towards the low, then stacked into another distortion.

:group:
Same settings, but with an added slight dirt before. It slams. Jesus Lizard would he proud.

Glad to hear it made it to you with no issues. Just realized that I did not send you the tracking info. So sorry about that!!! Very happy to hear you are digging it. At this point I think all pedals have reached their intended targets. Love it when a plan comes together.
ianmarks

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:51 am

Outstanding work Ian!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:43 pm

What...have I missed??
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear