· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Amp+Cab in a peddle! who be win, who be lose, we find ou

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:53 am

I would have added the quilter interblock to the discussion but if you really want to go direct, it is not the best. Sounds great through a cab thought. Maybe if you buy a cab sim like the neunaber ? :idk:

Does Milkman's The Amp have direct out ? I think so, you might want to consider it.

Also remember that something like the humbold simplifier does not have a power amp. So if you want to play through a cab you'll need one. Might be the same for the strymon ?
For a cheap power amp, I really like the interblock (which is also a preamp and has an fx loop, so you can bypass it and go straight to the power amp)

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am

Skully has an Iconoclast and is digging it iirc.

Can someone someone them?

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 am

Also, maybe look into two notes ? The CAB M+ looks so good

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 am

:snax:

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:30 am

Aaah, last year i've been on the same quest for a while, but then decided to wait and give priority to other things.

The Shift Line Twin ticks all the boxes:
https://shift-line.com/twin

Don't know how the preamp reacts to pedals tbh, but regarding the cab Sim part somebody here had the Shift Line cabzone and was super happy with it.
I think it was JonnyAngle probably

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am

And if you want to go full Instagram-sensation, Walrus Audio just put out their take on the pre/cabsim thing.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:13 pm

I have been using the Darkglass element

https://www.darkglass.com/creations/element/

It checks all the boxes with the execption that its only a cab sim at the moment but they did add some basic head sim adjustments you can fuck with as well

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:28 pm

I've got the simplifier. I think it's the best. It has my seal of awesome.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:45 pm

simplifier looks p great, would like to try. everything else just seems limited by comparison.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm

the Joyo American Sound pedal is a very cheap & surprisingly good sounding option. i've recorded with it quite a bit.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Great post. Lots of options these days. I've been doing direct recording for a while. Previously I used most of the "in the box" programs - Native Instruments Guitar Rig, Positive Grid BIAS, Waves GTR, & IK Multimedia Amplitube are a few of the better ones. Even though they've come a LONG way in the last 10 years, most have the same two problems:

1) Sound quality is good but not totally realistic
2) LATENCY - makes it nearly impossible to nail the part without nudging the audio in post.

Then at the beginning of the pandemic Two Notes was giving away the their basic Torpedo software package. The sound quality was ON POINT but I still had to deal with latency.

I tried the direct out of my Quilter Reverb but it still didn't sound right, especially with a lot of dirt in front of it. I tried a few other cab sims (CabDryVR, Tech21, etc). They still didn't sound right, usually muddy. It wasn't until I picked up the Two Notes CAB that everything locked in. The sound, the features and the versatility are AMAZING. Total game changer. Over 100 amps in the box and they're all tweakable. Now I've got a realistic sound that I'm totally happy with that has no latency at all when recording.

I use the Effectrode Blackbird as my main preamp but you can go straight into the Two Notes and you'll be fine.

**I haven't tried the Strymon Iridium or that new Walrus. Both look great and I'm sure they'll do the job well. Both companies have stellar reputations. But they're considerably more expensive and I think the the Walrus only has a few amp/cab options, but maybe you don't need a lot of options? It's also the smallest of the bunch if space is a major concern for you. I also haven't tried the Terror Stamp but I saw a demo that sounded great so if the "Orange tone" is your thing maybe look into it a bit more.

Of course in the end all that matters is the getting the tones that YOU want in a fast, convenient way.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:16 pm

voerking wrote:the Joyo American Sound pedal is a very cheap & surprisingly good sounding option. i've recorded with it quite a bit.

yeah tbh if it had a headphone out i would probably play 50% more guitar lol
Last edited by MechaGodzilla on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:41 am

I use since year an AMT SS20 valve preamp!

Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:22 am

I've been using the Shift Line Olympic MkIIIS (the bass version of the Twin) for over a year now on bass, guitar and synths, and it's been working like a charm. It takes dirt pedals very well and also has some gain of its own. Haven't tried the other options mentioned but can recommend this one.

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 am

Good to know, Shift Line would have been my first choice but never got the chance to speak with somebody who actually had it. I know with bass is a different thing, but the overall structure of the pedal is the same. How's it speaking of headroom and compression when pushed with loud signals?
Post a reply