Is there a "wow" (tape) effect?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Is there a "wow" (tape) effect?

Postby K2000 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 pm

Slow-motion update - the Recovery Effects Cutting Room Floor (I already own the first version, it was being neglected) does wow/flutter very well, although it does seem to cut bass frequencies just a bit (I think it's voiced for guitar, and I'm looking for full spectrum of frequencies). Also, CRF is not stereo. Still, BINGO! Hurray! I'll look into some of the other units mentioned in case they don't have those issues (the rack units rfurtkamp suggested might be a good place to start). Or a Hazarai...? Thanks everybody!
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Confuzzled » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:44 am

dubkitty wrote:i had no idea Snazzy FX still existed. i'm chuffed, because i really liked their stuff. i'd rather be shot than try to find board space for one, though. and that wouldn't really make sense anyway...given the adjustability and plethora of knobs i'd put it on a table or stand. they'd be brilliant for my loops, where i operate most things with my hands while seated. i've already spent enough of my life on my knees.

Snazzy is still around, located in Brooklyn, NY. He had all of those monstrous pedals made in smaller (still a big footprint) enclosure as well as some crazy modular stuff. He is on IG at @snazzyfx
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby niftyprose » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Hey, check out this New Thing:

https://tefivintagelab.it/prodotto/gold ... i-machine/

Best, NP
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:01 am

If we haven't hit Peak Lo-Fi Pedal Machine yet, it will be soon-ish, no? That one has some interesting sounds to it but not sure if it is offering anything new that we haven't seen yet, or am I missing something?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby niftyprose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:27 am

Hey, It's a New Thing!
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Postby Tall Walls » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think any of the lo-fi pedals have MIDI and/or presets other than the CBA Generation Loss and the Arcades. So that's a whole area for new New Things to become new in. The new Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe Deluxe doesn't even have expression control. I like that they made separate controls for hiss, crackle, and pop, but being able to modulate those parameters would be interesting.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Tall Walls wrote:Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think any of the lo-fi pedals have MIDI and/or presets other than the CBA Generation Loss and the Arcades. So that's a whole area for new New Things to become new in. The new Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe Deluxe doesn't even have expression control. I like that they made separate controls for hiss, crackle, and pop, but being able to modulate those parameters would be interesting.

Timefactor/H9?

Can't remember how slow can the Timeline go on the modulation, but sure can get gritty enough, it's just their fucking minimum of ~70(?) ms that could probably make it not work.

Also Empress Echosystem, no? :?:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:13 pm

we need to leave room for improvement lest we find ourselves trapped on a hellish lofi plateau
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby niftyprose » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:02 am

Doug Tuttle's Mid-Fi is just now announcing the New Thing he's been Instagramming for a while, the 'For Parts Or Repair'. [ https://www.midfielectronics.com/for-parts-or-repair- ] It's a lo-fi tape simulator with separate controls for wow&flutter and 'dropouts', random HP filtering. I like it almost as well as the short-lived Random Chorus. I'd like to suggest that Mr. Tuttle rebrands it as the Hellish Lo-fi Plateau in honour of Dandolin's heroic post. Best, NP
niftyprose

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:37 am

:D :D :D
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:10 am

niftyprose wrote:Doug Tuttle's Mid-Fi is just now announcing the New Thing he's been Instagramming for a while, the 'For Parts Or Repair'. [ https://www.midfielectronics.com/for-parts-or-repair- ] It's a lo-fi tape simulator with separate controls for wow&flutter and 'dropouts', random HP filtering. I like it almost as well as the short-lived Random Chorus. I'd like to suggest that Mr. Tuttle rebrands it as the Hellish Lo-fi Plateau in honour of Dandolin's heroic post. Best, NP

Want...
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear