Basic Audio 2020 and/or 2021 Tourbox Review Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Basic Audio 2020 and/or 2021 Tourbox Review Thread

Postby Pete » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 pm

https://youtu.be/X-qXvEXiVoo

Fuzz Rite with Melvins standard tuning riffs. :thumb:

Kay Fuzz will be next. I'll probably just post videos of Melvins riffing with all the pedals. :excellent:
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby Seance » Sat May 01, 2021 1:30 am

Pete wrote: Melvins standard videos of Melvins riffing :excellent:

:excellent:
Last edited by Seance on Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 am

This thread has really delivered an unusually high amount of cool demos and thoughts. Best tourbox thread on ILF.

Can anyone tell me if a Zippy or Low Volt still gets _those sounds_ when placed after a buffer?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Sat May 01, 2021 8:33 am

Awesome, Pete, thank you! :thumb:

Sounds great! :rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Pete » Sun May 02, 2021 2:54 am

Thank you!

Melvins riffing with the Kay Fuzz:

https://youtu.be/TXKnMsXeYXA

Posting this on my phone before I go to bed, but I'll try to remember how to embed youtube videos later
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby Seance » Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Pete wrote:Thank you!

Melvins riffing with the Kay Fuzz:

https://youtu.be/TXKnMsXeYXA

Posting this on my phone before I go to bed, but I'll try to remember how to embed youtube videos later

Just for the clicks.

:excellent:

I've played a previous version of the BA Kay fuzz. One of the things I loved about it
was the way it wrapped your tone in cellophane and cling-wrap and there is a portion
of the Kay's "sizzle" that is like BBs and ball bearings bouncing on top of that cellophane/cling-wrap.

My clip with earlier version of BA Kay Fuzz:
https://soundcloud.com/caesarshift/asparagus

The additional toggles on this version seem to allow for that sound plus some where the
cellophane/cling-wrap is more like liquid mercury, which bounces on certain notes, the mercury
forming its own clusters of little metallic balls of pizzazzle (a deeper, more bass-centered sizzle).
Last edited by Seance on Tue May 11, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun May 02, 2021 3:07 pm

goroth wrote:This thread has really delivered an unusually high amount of cool demos and thoughts. Best tourbox thread on ILF.

Can anyone tell me if a Zippy or Low Volt still gets _those sounds_ when placed after a buffer?

With nearly every BA pedal I’ve played, they’ve done extremely well with line levels (like synth or drum machine). I don’t think a buffer would mess with it too much (I haven’t tried though). Zippy I didn’t try that way at all. Low Volt did pretty ok though. Don’t know if that helps.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sun May 02, 2021 3:37 pm

I should just get off my butt and by one.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Pete » Sun May 02, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm going to play with the Low Volt when I get home from work tonight, so I'll test it with a buffer in front, goroth!
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Mon May 03, 2021 3:47 am

Brilliant!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Pete » Mon May 03, 2021 9:51 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP1ZKDB-iQg[/youtube]

^I don't know how to do this properly, so here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP1ZKDB-iQg

Basic Audio Low Volt-Melvins riffs still, but different riffs this time.

From my youtube description:

"A very appropriately choppy (but I think effective) demo of the Basic Audio Low Volt, to match a very choppy sounding pedal. Playing various Melvins riffs from some of their standard tuning songs.

I started out with the most "normal" fuzz sounds of the pedal, with the "Sat" knob all the way counter-clockwise, the "Starve" in middle position, the "Pinch" switch in left position, and fuzz and "Body" set to taste.

But the rest of the video is all about where this pedal sounds best, as a super gated choppy power-starved fuzz. I kept the "Sat" knob all the way clockwise, because I feel it gives the pedal its most character at this setting, with a congested type of tone. I also kept the "Pinch" switch to the right the whole time for maximum gated choppiness. I fiddled with the "Starve" switch (which I think sounds best in the middle position), and the "Body" knob (which I think sounds best all the way counter-clockwise)."
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 pm

Pete wrote:

^I don't know how to do this properly, so here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP1ZKDB-iQg

Basic Audio Low Volt-Melvins riffs still, but different riffs this time.

From my youtube description:

"A very appropriately choppy (but I think effective) demo of the Basic Audio Low Volt, to match a very choppy sounding pedal. Playing various Melvins riffs from some of their standard tuning songs.

I started out with the most "normal" fuzz sounds of the pedal, with the "Sat" knob all the way counter-clockwise, the "Starve" in middle position, the "Pinch" switch in left position, and fuzz and "Body" set to taste.

But the rest of the video is all about where this pedal sounds best, as a super gated choppy power-starved fuzz. I kept the "Sat" knob all the way clockwise, because I feel it gives the pedal its most character at this setting, with a congested type of tone. I also kept the "Pinch" switch to the right the whole time for maximum gated choppiness. I fiddled with the "Starve" switch (which I think sounds best in the middle position), and the "Body" knob (which I think sounds best all the way counter-clockwise)."

You almost had it. :lol: Just remove that "s" after the "http".

Sounds great! :love: :rock: :)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Pete » Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 am

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BJfhEcesq4u[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/BJfhEcesq4U

For goroth!

Edit-Well, I removed the s :lol: I also tried posting this from my phone
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 am

Hey thanks Pete!!

That attack got pretty weird!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 am

I finally went through this thread, reading your guys' thoughts and comments on these pedals, and the thing that really stuck out to me was lordgalver's comment about how GOOD these pedals sound recorded. So far I've tried out and demoed the Kay Fuzz, Fuzz Rite, and Low Volt, and honestly my initial impressions for all 3 were "meh". But in each case, when I revisited the pedal on the next day, I liked each one a lot more, and they really started to click with me. Then when I recorded them, and listened back to my demos, I was kind of stunned (especially when listening with headphones), because they just sound incredible recorded. I couldn't believe that I didn't love them right away. I've been listening to my demos of these pedals repeatedly since I made them, because the sounds and tones are just insanely pleasurable to me, especially the Kay Fuzz. At first, I thought the Fuzz Rite was my favorite, but I think it's the Kay Fuzz now. I absolutely love the Kay Fuzz and Fuzz Rite, and think they work really really great for grungy riffing. The Low Volt is cool, but I really want to buy a Bye-Bias sometime when funds allow. That thing just sounds ungodly good to me, from the demos out there. I totally want to buy the Kay Fuzz too, and probably the Fuzz Rite, but I'm really curious on how it compares to the Dot.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Pendulum today, but I will dive into it tomorrow for sure, and probably share a demo the next day. And then the Test Pattern, which I didn't even know was going to be a part of this tourbox! That's an old Devi circuit, right?
Pete

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear