· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Glitchipedia

Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 am

Here some noises from the Bananana Mandala:

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:38 pm

so i find myself curious as to the current state of things glitch.... :snax:

has the wave passed? i'm not noticing a lot of new stuff hitting the market, but the market is strange with the parts shortage and all, and i'm generally out da [micro]loop :idk:

not that i've been :worry: about it - most of the stuff covered in here is still useful and i have my little collection

posted about the Judder update a few days ago, but it didn't seem to generate any interest

is there a general sense of ennui, or malaise?

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:03 pm

Clearly enough people were interested in the Judder because the website crashed for like an hour and a half before anyone could actually buy one. I think the big hype about glitch stuff for a long time was that the pedals were very rare and very difficult to get. Now there are so many on the market that its like delay or reverb or whatever. That dampens the interest in them as some sort of special niche. You can just buy a Tensor from 100 places and get most of what people spent tons of money and waited ages to get 8-10 years ago.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:04 pm

[saying “glitch” summons whoismarykelly—no need to repeat nor to say it in front of a mirror.]

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:10 pm

Its true

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:09 pm

ah, well, good to know glitchpedals are still capable of breaking the internet

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:55 pm

I'm really digging the Deep Space Devices DUST - not really a glitch, but more of a fuzz that glitches.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:19 am

It works on the same principle as most of the pedals in this genre. Holding a buffer in a delay line as long as you hold down the switch. Its an abused PT2399 which is the cause of the fuzz part. I love mine. Its def a super fun pedal.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 am

I know "glitch" is the sound of a sudden change with a sharp attack and decay but I'm getting much more interested in short random changes that have a very smooth attack and decay. Like more ebb and flow.

Are they any glitch pedals out there that allow for ADSR adjustment?

Edit: After thinking about it, I guess really a random parallel tremolo that ducks the primary signal when active is what I'm after

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm

you could try an attack-decay pedal like the EHX after the glitch pedal of choice - might be hard to get consistent tracking, but it could create an interesting hybrid blend - might give that a try soon myself :snax:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:32 pm

Have messed with a few swell pedals like the Slow Gear clone from VFE, the EHX Attack Decay and the Sneak Attack but yep, I agree, I think tracking would really be difficult. The problem with those pedals, they are like the Microcosm: Difficult to trigger when the previous envelope has not completed. You used the word "consistent." That's appropriate. But interesting idea

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:49 pm

yeah, i think the Attack Decay might be the best you can get in that realm in the polyphonic mode, whatever it's called
still, the rapid fire nature of many passages created by glitch pedals are probs too much for the envelope follower/attack detector to handle, even if the poly mode lets the envelope reset on a new attack
so, yeah, your trem idea might ultimately out-perform the A/D, although even there the settings and mx levels will make a big difference. Maybe something involving sample and hold/random - could actually add to the glitchiness while softening the pop of the attack much of the time.... :snax:

Also, I guess some of the glitch pedals allow for some degree of control over grain shape/envelope, but I'll leave opinions on the workability of that option to the experts....
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Grain size, yes. Mini-Glitch certainly has that control. But attack/decay, can't recall having seen those controls in a glitch pedal.

Lately, have added the ability to mess with VST options in the effects chain, live/in real-time, and have been messing with Audio Damage Replicant 2, Sugar Bytes Effectrix and Looperator, and Devious Machine Infiltrator which all definitely glitch but with a lot more options. Replicant 2 in particular but it does not have attack/decay control.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:23 pm

ha, yeah, sorry - I might be [probably am] mixing up pedals and eurorack modules, actually...looks like there's some level of choice over grain shape/envelope in MI Clouds and Beads. Maybe somebody on here who ended up with a Tomkat Cloudy can comment on whether that control is ported to the pedal, and if so, whether it has a substantial effect on the perceived attack/decay characteristics of the grains? :snax:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:56 pm

The market for glitch is definitely at an all-time-high, but I wouldn't say it's oversaturated just yet. I don't mind more. Bring more. Feed me errors.
Post a reply