Glitchipedia

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Glitchipedia

Postby the_bright_undead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 pm

Been teaming up my BAT Fnord and my Recovery Cutting Room Floor for glitchy witchy stuff....sometimes add in a bit of ring mod. I was shocked to find the Fnord and the CRF could work together. But yes.
good dealings: laowiz, ianmarks, stomping stones, weebles, Errant Tiger, radish, themeanreds, K2000, Never
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:10 am

no shock here :idk: :thumb:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tktktktk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:18 pm

Hey! I am new here and found this thread because I am on the hunt for a stutter/glitch pedal. First I just wanted something with a momentary switch that I would click and the incoming signal would start to stutter. Simple, right? Maybe have a knob or two, like mix and rate. If it has the ability to self-oscillate, amazing! I looked at some cheap options - one of the first ideas was to get a kill switch with a momentary switch or a loop with a momentary switch so I could do sound bursts.

However, the more I started to look into various available pedals, the more I wanted ... well, more. Recently I adopted the rule that if I want something, I'd rather spend more and quality stuff and not look back or have the product die on me. So I really started to like Meris Ottobit Jr. It's a 5-in-1 pedal: fuzz/bitcrusher, arpeggiator, sequencer, pitch-shifter, stutter, and let's throw wah-wah and tremolo (EDIT: wrong on this one) into this mix as well. I could remove my Penny pedals Fingerprint from my board because Ottobit would do the fuzz. There are some things I don't like, however: no mix knob, no volume knob, no onboard presets. Some report weird volume jumps and unintuitive secondary parameter manipulation as well as tracking problems. I also primarily don't need the bitcrusher/sample reduction capabilities, which are Ottobit's primary thing, but watching vids on it, I think it would be interesting to have them. However, I love the arpeggiating/sequencer thing it does. Love it to bits for ambient stuff.

Looking further into what is available and that I can get for a reasonable price (I am from EU), I also stumbled upon MWFX Judder that I liked (supposedly has a high noise level?), Pladask Fabrikat as well as Red Panda Particle 2 (which I can also use as a delay and therefore wouldn't need my DE7 - this appeals to me as I don't want to have a Terra 42 for my board). I know these are wildly different pedals, but now I am lost and have no idea what to do. Any thought on this? (I know there are many other pedals, but most would be really expensive to get in EU or have long waiting times; if it helps, I am also getting a Superego Plus, I already have Pigtronix Infinity, so I am covered in the more loop and freeze-based areas)

(I have read this whole thread and there is barely any word on the Ottobit Jr. Why is that?)
Last edited by tktktktk on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tktktktk

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby codetocontra » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Ottobit Jr does not do glitch as well as others. You set how many repeats it will have when you want it to glitch.

Strong recommendation for the Red Panda Tensor. Widely available for just $300 new. Runner up recs would be HEXE Revolver and CT5. All cool, some overlap. But the Tensor will treat you right.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

i think the reason the ottobit jt isn't mentioned much is because it doesn't do the straightforward 'hold down a momentary switch to stutter' thing. there's the sequencer and subdivisions to consider as well. kind of like the charlie foxtrot where you have a control for the "duration". and unless you use fuzz only occasionally, i don't think it would work well as a replacement for a dedicated fuzz pedal. it seems like it's really designed to be using its effects in combination, rather than as 5 separate effects. like how the clicky-ness of the stutter effect works well with the internal fuzz.

i'll second that the tensor is your best bet if you want a really powerful glitch pedal!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Charlie Foxtrot and the Judder are focused applications of the same effect as the Hexe Auto program where the buffer is filled and dumped in a regular fashion by an LFO to make a rhythmic electronic sound. The Ottobit is doing a similar thing but its very rigid in structure and doesn't allow for much deviation or dynamic use. If you can only get one the Tensor is the readily-available best bet as it can do a decent number of effects. For what you want you might also consider an MASF Raptio or TKOG Mini Glitch.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DOSS BS-1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm

The Ottobit is a tough one. It does a lot of things but there are limitations. The stutter is BY FAR the worst aspect of the pedal, and the hardest to control. The filter is great and really musical. The pitch shifiting/arpeggiator is solid. The fuzz/bit crush has a well-known volume issue that will blow your face off.

The Judder is amazing but the noise complaints are completely true.

Tensor fits your description well. Hexe Revolvers are really hard to find at normal prices. Other good options could be Fabrikat, Particle 2, or the maybe the King of Gear Mini-Glitch (you have to sign up for their mailing list, they do sales every couple of months)
-
-
---"Actually I just like fuzz as a friend"---
DOSS BS-1

committed
committed

Postby tktktktk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:11 pm

After doing another round of listening to every stutter possible in various videos, looking through functionalities and scavenger-hunting them in EU stores, I think Tensor is my best bet, and better than Ottobit Jr. Thank you for your suggestions. One last thing - does Tensor do self-oscillation?
tktktktk

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Ugh, I typed out a thing and it didn't post. TLDR; I like the TKOG Mini-Glitch.

As whoismarykelly mentioned, the TKOG Mini Glitch can get you a lot of what you described. It's based on Jonny Greenwood's glitchy Max/MSP program. It has three programs (Random, Threshold, and Switched which gets you your bursts of glitch when you step on the footswitch). Glitching can be set to random or can be set to specific time intervals. Lots of functionality in a small footprint - when you really dig into it and explore some of the secondary functions, it actually has broader functionality than at first glance. It would also likely be one of the more affordable options in the glitch-o-sphere - you'd be looking at $225 USD shipped to the EU.

You can check out the manual for V1.2 here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1poZrYd ... UmPmV/edit

And you'll want to go on the website to sign up for the newsletter as he releases small batches a few times a year and they typically sell out fairly quickly. Batch 16 was just released on Nov 18th so there might still be some available from that batch - https://thekingofgear.com/post/17993570 ... 5-sold-out

Cheers!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Simple but amazing: MASF Raptio

A bit more complex, but also amazing: Drolo FX Stammen

Small, cute and complex: Bananana FX Mandala

Tensor seems rad too, but haven't tried one since the very first batch, which had that pitch error where everything was out of tune. They fixed it in a patch later. Sadness.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:03 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Simple but amazing: MASF Raptio

A bit more complex, but also amazing: Drolo FX Stammen

Small, cute and complex: Bananana FX Mandala

Tensor seems rad too, but haven't tried one since the very first batch, which had that pitch error where everything was out of tune. They fixed it in a patch later. Sadness.

I never tried the Drolo, but I do fully agree with you Casanova! I also own both Raptio and Mandalas (v1 and v2), and these in their simplicity never stops to amaze me!
Same for the Bakfram.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 am

DOSS BS-1 wrote:Hexe Revolvers are really hard to find at normal prices.

ReVolvers new are priced such that there isn't much room for a flip. The $500 listings you see on Reverb all the time are about $15 more than they cost direct from Piotr. They're just extremely expensive pedals to start. They're worth the expense over other pedals IMO. They do a really wide variety of effects with great fidelity and the shortest trigger lag of anything I have used.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm

I currently only have nine or ten glitchy pedals on my board, is that enough ?
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tktktktk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:08 pm

Tensor owners, a question - if you press on the left, record button when a loop is already playing, do you get a click, a bit noisy sound when you do it? Also, if you change between presets while playing, does it do a clicky sound as well? It is updated to the latest firmware.
tktktktk

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby cosmicevan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 pm

I hadn't noticed that on mine, I have an older SN that won't update to the longer time length. I upgraded it, and then my ES-8 crapped the bed so can't confirm, but I used to use it as a looper w MIDI and then change presets on the loops and also toggle between 2 presets regularly and never had any noise issues.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear