Educate me on the Boss FZ-2

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Educate me on the Boss FZ-2

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 am

Sonaboy wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:I feel like the Reverb price guide of $150-200 is reasonable. Who are this nutso people on Reverb and eBay selling for $600-1000?

Reverb seems to have strange peaks & valleys for prices.
Couple of years ago, Zoom Ultra Fuzzes that had scrapes and no boxes were listing at $300. :whateva:

Houses on my street are passing the million dollar mark (double 5 years ago and triple a decade ago) and anyone buying now is looked upon as insane but every time a listing goes up there’s a line of realtors around the block.

I don’t think there’s that many people willing to actually spend $350+ on a boss fuzz :lol:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby systemofameow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am

retinal orbita wrote:I’ll just buy a Demon Lung when they are back in stock :idk:

There's an large box version sitting in B/S/T right now. Can't remember who's post it is, off the top of my head.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby retinal orbita » Fri May 28, 2021 8:50 pm

So I just ordered a Pepers Pedals Humongous Fuzz. Will follow up in 8-12 weeks when it arrives. I think it’s the FZ-2 clone for me!

In the meantime, I re-read this thread and I said some HYSTERICAL things years ago. Check this one out, I bought a Behringer knock off and I LOVE IT! And now I have no need for an OG FZ.

retinal orbita wrote:I can wait - I’m a patient man! I ain’t buyin’ no Behringer knock off!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:26 am

retinal orbita wrote:So I just ordered a Pepers Pedals Humongous Fuzz. Will follow up in 8-12 weeks when it arrives. I think it’s the FZ-2 clone for me!

In the meantime, I re-read this thread and I said some HYSTERICAL things years ago. Check this one out, I bought a Behringer knock off and I LOVE IT! And now I have no need for an OG FZ.

retinal orbita wrote:I can wait - I’m a patient man! I ain’t buyin’ no Behringer knock off!!

I saw shikawkee post that on insta earlier today. Looks cool but it confuses me cause i thought the hm-2 and fz-2 had the same eq lol. No real manual out there either even with the extra switches. Also did the behringer have a 3rd mode?!
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:17 pm

Yep. You get the switch stuck between mode 1 and 2.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 pm

I have never tried the “secret” Behringer mode.

I think the big knob switches between fuzz modes 1-3 and the second footswitch enables the boost? Or if the footswitch toggles between all modes I have have no idea what the big knob does.

And then there’s an internal dip switch to fine tune the “extra” EQ?

Basically I’m not willing to spend $500 on an OG but I am willing to spend $200 on a clone with a clean blend?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm

Not gonna lie I drank a few beers and ordered it on a buzzy whim
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 pm

The prices have peaked to a point where a more tweakable/versatile clone costs way less, right? Seems like it only makes sense to spend that much money on a boss pedal if you're somekind of hoarder/collector.

Or if you had a few beers :animal:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:59 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Not gonna lie I drank a few beers and ordered it on a buzzy whim

This is the way.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby qersty » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

goroth wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Not gonna lie I drank a few beers and ordered it on a buzzy whim

This is the way.

+1
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 pm

frigid midget wrote:Seems like it only makes sense to spend that much money on a boss pedal if you're somekind of hoarder/collector.

Yeah v true. I love my HM2 but a more versatile clone (the HMD-1) is always bumping it off my board. Thankfully I got that for $50.

Now a more versatile clone can knock a $50 Behringer clone off my board :animal:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:16 pm

goroth wrote:

This is the way.

[knods]

This is the way.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:16 am

the price on these are evil mad crazy... yesterday I saw one on a swiss website: NOS, just new with box never played for 432 USD.... :picard:

https://www.tutti.ch/de/vi/zuerich/musik/instrumente/boss-fz-2-hyper-fuzz-tatsaechlich-nos/44885241

I have a DIY clone of the FZ2 (pedalpcb kit), and it does the job perfectly!
I used to have "a real" one back then (when you could still find these used around for 100$), and to my ears the clone sounds 1:1 as the original.
I also had a Behringer once, same story. If I wasn't able to solder myself, I would have gotten the Behringer all the way.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:16 pm

The PedalPCB version isn't exactly a clone of the original. The entire front end of the circuit is different. Boss uses a discrete opamp (made of individual transistors/resistors/caps) and PedalPCB just uses a single integrated circuit stage to achieve a similar goal.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:43 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:The PedalPCB version isn't exactly a clone of the original. The entire front end of the circuit is different. Boss uses a discrete opamp (made of individual transistors/resistors/caps) and PedalPCB just uses a single integrated circuit stage to achieve a similar goal.

Yes I notice this difference in the schematic. But I like a lot the way it sounds.
Anyhow today I got your FZZ in the mailbox! Great pedal Mark!
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear